grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

NBA player tested positive for the virus;NBA has suspended the season.

The panic factor just went up quite a bit.

This will have ripple effects through the entertainment business..including the movies.

And Tom Hanks announced he and his wife have tested positive for the virus.

They suspended the season?! Holy shit, I hadn't heard that.

And oh man, Tom Hanks. That really sucks. He's a part of every movie-lover's extended family. 

Fuck this year.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dudalb said:

NBA player tested positive for the virus;NBA has suspended the season.

The panic factor just went up quite a bit.

This will have ripple effects through the entertainment business..including the movies.

And Tom Hanks announced he and his wife have tested positive for the virus.

On second thoughts Theaters could close or severly restrict ticket sales asap. So no movie that needs to sell more than 10-20 tickets a show should release. AQP2 and Mulan will move for sure unless Paramouont/Disney wants to dump them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

On second thoughts Theaters could close or severly restrict ticket sales asap. So no movie that needs to sell more than 10-20 tickets a show should release. AQP2 and Mulan will move for sure unless Paramouont/Disney wants to dump them.

And with AQP2 you have to ask if  movie with an apocalyptic setting is what people are in the mood to go see now. I suspect that point is being discussed at Paramount right now.

Bloodshot - MTC4
Opening Weekend Seat Report: T-1 days

Last
Day
2 Days
Ago
3 Days
Ago
4 Days
Ago
5 Days
Ago

Shows Added 11 - - - -        
Seats Added 1,904 - - - -        
Seats Sold 539 - - - -        

Shows w/o
Reserved
Seats
Shows w/
Reserved
Seats
Seats
Left
Total
Seats
Matinee Evening Total
Sold
EST $ Pct.
Sold
D-0 118 83 10,424 10,885 - 461 461 $15,312 4.24%
D-1 176 428 105,355 105,789 55 379 434 $9,538 0.41%
D-2 248 547 130,124 130,579 164 291 455 $10,177 0.35%
D-3 229 503 119,764 120,041 85 192 277 $6,103 0.23%
Total 771 1,561 365,667 367,294 304 1,323 1,627 $41,130 0.44%
Edited by ZackM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

And with AQP2 you have to ask if  movie with an apocalyptic setting is what people are in the mood to go see now. I suspect that point is being discussed at Paramount right now.

It’s too late for that. I would hope the movie isn’t ostracized for an apocalyptic setting but more of a message that we have to fight to save people and protect those in our family who need help and need saving.

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

It is too late to move them.   Both films would loss more than $30 million each if they move. (Especially their TV spots are already in everywhere )

2 minutes ago, John2015 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-americans-divided-if-movie-theaters-should-shut-down-2020-3

• A Morning Consult and Hollywood Reporter survey of 2,200 US adults found that 44% of them would oppose movie theaters temporarily shutting down because of the coronavirus, while 38% of those surveyed would support the idea.

This was done earlier before the panic-inciting stories of tonight emerged. I guess Hollywood and the chains will look at the numbers over the next few days to see if there's any impact and go from there.

7 minutes ago, John2015 said:

It is too late to move them.   Both films would loss more than $30 million each if they move. (Especially their TV spots are already in everywhere )

if they release they will bomb which would be much bigger loss. I cant see either movie even opening to 30m at this point. People wont go to any show that is crowded. Walk ups will just not be there and movies rely on walk ups for BO. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

if they release they will bomb which would be much bigger loss. I cant see either movie even opening to 30m at this point. People wont go to any show that is crowded. Walk ups will just not be there and movies rely on walk ups for BO. 

They've poured so much into their marketing that they have no choice but to wait and see how this weekend plays out before making any decisions. Plus I'm sure theaters would look into distancing (like a seat or two between people) before shutting down completely.

24 minutes ago, John2015 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-americans-divided-if-movie-theaters-should-shut-down-2020-3

• A Morning Consult and Hollywood Reporter survey of 2,200 US adults found that 44% of them would oppose movie theaters temporarily shutting down because of the coronavirus, while 38% of those surveyed would support the idea.

This is from March 5-7. It’s not worth the pixels being used to display it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that the elderly are the ones at biggest risk, I wouldn't be surprised if movies targeting that audience take the biggest hit of all in the coming days although the only movies out right now really targeting that crowd are...The Call of the Wild (which is getting ready to leave anyway), Emma., and The Way Back (both of which are making insubstantial amounts of money to begin with so they're already heading out too). These next few days will sure be interesting to watch unfold.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Losing the NBA is one thing.  But breaking Eric’s spirit?  COVID virus has gone too far now!  :rant:

I am with Eric. I am suspending my tracking posts as well. Actually captured OD PS for openers to get a feel but dont see a point posting at this point. 😞

Let us rather track Domestic COVID-19 testing numbers. That is more important. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Losing the NBA is one thing.  But breaking Eric’s spirit?  COVID virus has gone too far now!  :rant:

Are you planning to keep tracking? What’s the point? These movies won’t come out til who knows when and they’ll be useless comps to anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Are you planning to keep tracking? What’s the point? These movies won’t come out til who knows when and they’ll be useless comps to anything.

Gallows humor aside everyone (keeping mental health up is just as important as physical), I’m only tracking AQP II right now (with FF9 on the side, weekly).  That run is almost over, so might as well see it till the end until the film run is officially cancelled.

Besides, I also figure it might be a good way of seeing impact before it hits the trades.

So, yes.  Tonight at least. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-8 days and counting

[Includes Double Features from Wednesday]

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

6.16%

Total Showings Removed Today

Total Seats Removed Today

Total Seats Sold Today

T-8 Comp

%

Sold T-9

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

It 2

0/159

17743/19187

7.53%

5.14m

PRE-SALE NOTE: It Chapter 2 had 36 days of pre-sales while A Quiet Place Part II has 22 days of pre-sales.

===

Wed/Thr Breakdown:

Wednesday Night Double Feature Seat Report: T-8 Days and counting:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

31.12%

Total Seats Sold Today

Thursday Night Seat Report: T-8 Days and counting:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

2.21%

Total Showings Removed Today

Total Seats Removed Today

Total Seats Sold Today

===

Wednesday? Still "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". Thursday?  Not exactly looking too hot, he said mildly.  

One of the smaller chains in town (not one of the Big Three MTCs) cancelled a few post 9pm showings at three of its locations today.  Expect it to follow suit at the fourth real soon now.  Really am interested to see just how long this takes to play out, and what theaters add showings and which cancel them and when.

Have to admit, I am surprised at the resilience of Wed Double Features.  I suppose that might be the hard core fanbase showing up.  Haven't seen many cancellations at the ticket level yet for Thr (just two that I noticed today).  Then again, not exactly many peeps on Thr in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Poor @Porthos, dude starts tracking NTTD and then it gets delayed, and then he moves onto QP2, only for that to get delayed too :(

No new release date either so who knows when it'll open. I guess we'll have to see what the numbers look like in the coming days and if any theaters start shutting down on a wide scale depending on what the next day brings. We're in "one day at a time" territory here.