grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not sure that ATP will drop that much to get it as low as 9.5. JC had much worse Saturday PS relative to FRI and still had a 15% bump.

MTC 2 ratio increase on SAT. A 24% increase in admits will probably be 20% growth in gross & 18-19% overall.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 hours ago, Menor said:

There was a post in r/boxoffice of someone's theater showing that tickets went on sale on Sunday night, I had thought it was a US theater but maybe not (or maybe it was fake and/or a mistake).

30a.jpeg 

• Haha 4

On 8/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Menor said:

Early afternoon update, Free Guy is at 49292 tickets sold. No JC comp but it has overtaken TSS Friday at the same point (after being more than 4k tickets behind in the morning). If it stretches the lead over TSS by the time I take my evening run then I would be inclined to say 8 million Friday, though TSS did have a fairly good walkup pace so I won't predict that just yet. 

At the same point as this update yesterday FG is at 71,330 tickets sold. 45% ahead in admits at the same point. Probably that will normalize a bit by night. If it doesn't...this could be looking at a very high Sat bump. It does seem a little extreme though so I will hold off on predicting anything for now. Over 10m looks good, but beyond that not sure. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 4

Ok. Now that's interesting. Usually from 14:00 onward, the ratio on SAT & FRI is even but unlike data point I had, these numbers include 17:00 from East Coast.

I am thinking 140K at this point, depending on drop in ATP & how MTC 1 did, $10.25M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not according to my electric bill

Ways to determine the seasons —

Tired: temperature, daylight, flora, things of that nature

Wired: schoolchild day-of-week moviegoing habits

Edited by Lokis Legion

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ok. Now that's interesting. Usually from 14:00 onward, the ratio on SAT & FRI is even but unlike data point I had, these numbers include 17:00 from East Coast.

I am thinking 140K at this point, depending on drop in ATP & how MTC 1 did, $10.25M.

Agreed. Last run was 119.5k, Friday at the same point was around 86.5k, so ~140k seems about right. 10.25-10.5 million. 

Hmm. But ATP drop in MTC2 is not that big (with numbers now this high the DBOX effect should be negligible). It is currently 10.67 for Sat, will probably drop a bit for the rest of the night but with most tickets sold at this point it won't drop that much. Yesterday was around 10.91. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hoping for 10.5M, great bump.

JC sunday was -25% but i think FG can make closer to -20% considering how the weekend is turning, so +29M OW.

My prediction for this comes from 20M to 30M after JC, then back to around 25M when presales slowed bad and i was even thinking maybe sub-20M is happening before the previews. Then it did fine, i was back to expect 25M and now will probably be closer to the 30M i was predicting 2 weeks ago, what a rollercoaster.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

JC sunday was -25% but i think FG can make closer to -20% considering how the weekend is turning, so +29M OW.

Nah. JC was back during proper summer. Same partial return to school dynamics that help Sat relative to Fri also hurt Sun night. I would be happy with -30%

Edit: actually I’m expecting -30 and would be fine with it, but would be happy with WOM driving to more like -25

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Nah. JC was back during proper summer. Same partial return to school dynamics that help Sat relative to Fri also hurt Sun night. I would be happy with -30%

Edit: actually I’m expecting -30 and would be fine with it, but would be happy with WOM driving to more like -25

So I was checking, The Meg had only 23% drop but yeah 25-30% will make more sense.

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

You mean at same time yesterday or up 20% from Yesterday final because Menor numbers are suggesting +34% MTC 2 in admits.

I am not seeing that high. Sales don't move that much after 7pm PST. I am comparing to final which was an hour later.

FYI I compared in $ terms.

Edited by keysersoze123

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So I was checking, The Meg had only 23% drop but yeah 25-30% will make more sense.

I think this weekend lines up more with the Meg -29% weekend in terms of calendar -- but ow sun is often a little stronger than normal sun, so yeah, 25 can be hoped.  

Re mtc2, hour diff and admits vs gross explain most of it.

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

You mean at same time yesterday or up 20% from Yesterday final because Menor numbers are suggesting +34% MTC 2 in admits.

Anyway my trip out moved out and so here are the numbers(like for like)

Free Guy Saturday

MTC1 - 158897/681381 2033421.24 3843 shows

MTC2(Dbox adjusted) - 133.65K ~1.5 million 3571 shows 

So about low 20's increase today. Very good numbers at both MTC.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5