grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Men In Black: International - Regal Edwards Ontario Palace IMAX & RPX (Thursday Night)

IMAX 2D

4:30 PM - 2/532

7:30 PM - 0/532

10:30 PM - 2/532

2D

4:00 PM - 0/331

7:00 PM - 0/331

10:00 PM - 0/331

Total

4/2589 (0.2%)

Ooooooof. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Poor Chris Hemsworth. Dude is coming from the 2nd biggest global hit ever and he can barely sell tickets to his movie.

Course while he can be funny and charming, he ain't no Will Smith from the 90s-2000s. Few actors can ooze out charm like he could.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 4

Let me put it this way about MiB:I's current tally at Century Arden.

There are six showings, three in PLF.  It has sold 68 tickets so far.  Out of 1,263 seats (5.38%).  This is either the most trafficked theater in the region or right at the top with a couple of others. 

To put this in comparison, the 6pm PLF showing for Toy Story 4 has sold 73 tickets (out of 260). 

One showing of TS4 has outsold all of MiB:I at Arden.

Yeah. 

Reviews and WOM better be good is more or less what I am saying.  And even there it's probably too little/too late.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I am going to. . . assume that Lion King's tickets sales begin next Tuesday or the Tuesday right after.

The 26th, allegedly.  There was a leak posted over on one of the reddit subs (IIRC) that's been 100% accurate so far.

It being after TS4's OW sounds about right anyway, as Disney probably doesn't want anything taking away from it's OW buzz/fanfare.

Edited by Porthos
26th, not 25th
  • Like 1

BTW I have started tracking US this year only, but what I have checked is that pre-sales are lower in summer. Homecoming barely had $9mn pre-sales for true Friday compared to $18mn Approx of Captain Marvel, however the final true friday for both films were $35mn and $41mn respectively.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Both mib and shaft are not looking good at previews up here. 

Hard to say how much is quality and how much is the "limited family movie budgets weve discussed", but these films, dark k phoenix and others are taking a hit

• Like 1

People are saving their money to see Spider Man.

Endgame was the movie that almost every single human being wanted to see.

John Wick 3 won a lot of people who loved previous movies, and people who watched them on dvd.

Aladdin is a classic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

The 26th, allegedly.  There was a leak posted over on one of the reddit subs (IIRC) that's been 100% accurate so far.

It being after TS4's OW sounds about right anyway, as Disney probably doesn't want anything taking away from it's OW buzz/fanfare.

Ah, so in that ballpark.

Shaft has around the same presales for Thurs as Aladdin does...   

Spoiler

It looks like Uncle Drew sold almost all its OW Fandango tickets the day of or one day before, so I expect that to change drastically in 24 hours. Was too funny not to comment though.

FYI, with Atom until 6/16:

• MIB tickets are SEVEN DOLLARS off (yes, $7) if you have/use ChasePay
  • Shaft tickets are Buy One, Get One Free

:hahaha:

Now, Onto:

Thorkyrie AU

Thursday Previews

Lincoln Square 13
  6.3 6.5 6.6 6.10 6.11 Total % + Sold
Thorkyrie AU 203 235 301 482 558 2331 23.94% 76
Southern Maine Cinemagic
  6.3 6.5 6.6 6.10 6.11 Total % +Sold
Thorkyrie AU 6 6 9 15 19 1337 1.42% 4

Comps:

# Sold On Tuesday Before Release
Movie LS13 SMCM
Pika Pika 21 15
JW3 29 15
Aladdin 48 4
Rocketman 54 2
Zilla 67 26
Dark Phoenix 59 0

• So it actually sold relatively well at LS13 tonight.  The problem is with the exception of Rocketman, it's behind all the other comps in total sold.  It's right around Pika Pika and JW3 sat at the same time.
  • And it sold like garbage at SMCM
  • #PerfectlyBalanced

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4