grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Dunkirk (in Ultrascreen DLX)

Marcus North Shore Cinema

Mequon, WI

Thursday, July 20 (2 days before release)

6:00 - 22/301

8:35 - 19/301

11:10 - 5/301

The presales have definitely picked up from a few days ago. However Dunkirk may be more walk up based I think it'll do $6M-$7M and do $45M-$55M OW.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think Atomic Blonde making the charts over Valerian (poor TOG) despite the latter being released this week seems like a decent sign. Won't be a big hit but should manage a solid $20-25M opening on account of a nifty marketing campaign.

Atomic Blonde OW over Emoji Movie OW? 

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Atomic Blonde OW over Emoji Movie OW? 

It's possible, but I still think Atomic Blonde will probably have a smaller audience then The Emoji Movie, which could open with over 30m.

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's possible, but I still think Atomic Blonde will probably have a smaller audience then The Emoji Movie, which could open with over 30m.

I think Emoji will crack $30m but it'll have mediocre legs. 

Edited by Jonwo

We live in a world where THE EMOJI MOVIE could earn 100M..............................................

Spoiler

Why not John Wick 2 :sadben:

Edited by Brainbug

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At this point I'm thinking Emoji will open around Captain Underpants and have better legs with the weak marketplace.

I wouldn't be surprised if Emoji has a similar total to Underpants. 

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Probably should be enough to cover its budget though, and make it a success.

Wonder what the budget is? I assume it's $60-70m. Smurfs just about broke even thanks to OS. If Emoji and The Star underperform and the 2018 slate does as well, it could be curtains for SPA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm thinking $30-35M opening for Emoji Movie. Despicable Me not really dominating should allow room for at least one more animated movie this summer to do fine.

I Wonder What The RT Score Will Be? I Hope Its Like 17%

This weekend, my theater is getting Dunkirk on 3 screens (1 XD, 1 70MM, 1 in another one of the larger auditoriums), Girls Trip on 2 (both in larger auditoriums), and 2 for Valerian (neither in one of the biggest auditoriums). Imagine the weekend is gonna play out in similar fashion).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Wonder what the budget is? I assume it's $60-70m. Smurfs just about broke even thanks to OS. If Emoji and The Star underperform and the 2018 slate does as well, it could be curtains for SPA

Around 60m, the same as their previous films, and if Emoji and The Star flop then SPA might as well pack it up anyway, but SPA being in danger would be bad for Sony anyway.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Around 60m, the same as their previous films, and if Emoji and The Star flop then SPA might as well pack it up anyway, but SPA being in danger would be bad for Sony anyway.

They still have the 2018 films but beyond that is up in the air.