grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

49 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I'm not entirely sure but I heard Fandango represents a bigger % of tickets sold online than MT. So fandango would be my answer. 

That being said MT is also reliable. There is no questions in regards to reliability for either of the platforms.  

MT shows tickets sold over the last 24hr period.  Fandango is over the last half hour or so.

• Like 2

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/dunkirk-box-office-girls-trip-valerian-1202500556/

Variety

Dunkirk: $30-35m

Girl: $25m

Valerian: Low 20ms

Both new movies are pacing well in advance ticket sales. According to Fandango, “Dunkirk” is pacing better than Nolan’s last major release, “Interstellar” ($47.5 million opening weekend), and “Girls Trip” is outperforming “Bad Moms” ($23.8 million opening).

Interstellar comparison is almost 3 years old so not helpful. 

• Like 1

MT

1. SMH - 19.4%

2. WftPotA - 17%

3. Dunkirk - 14.6%

4. DM3 - 11%

5. GT - 5.8%

I'm surprised by how conservative people are with Dunkirk right now. If anything, it seems to be in better shape than Apes was last week. I really don't see it going below 40M and am starting to expect 50+. I'm also expecting 30+ for GT. Apes and SMH will likely get hit pretty hard this weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nomyth said:

MT

1. SMH - 19.4%

2. WftPotA - 17%

3. Dunkirk - 14.6%

4. DM3 - 11%

5. GT - 5.8%

I'm surprised by how conservative people are with Dunkirk right now. If anything, it seems to be in better shape than Apes was last week. I really don't see it going below 40M and am starting to expect 50+. I'm also expecting 30+ for GT. Apes and SMH will likely get hit pretty hard this weekend.

Is that percentage good for dunkirk?

31 minutes ago, the beast said:

Is that percentage good for dunkirk?

I definitely think so. I mean, taking into account that SM is well less than half it was last week, it seems fairly on par with Apes last week. Really depends how much it increases tomorrow tho. I'm expecting it to be well over double SM and Apes by the end of the day. If that plays out, I would think it's gonna be good for a 50M weekend.

Edited by nomyth

35 minutes ago, nomyth said:

MT

1. SMH - 19.4%

2. WftPotA - 17%

3. Dunkirk - 14.6%

4. DM3 - 11%

5. GT - 5.8%

Yeah, the percentages here vs. the tracking reports don't seem to add up... It seems in a better spot than Apes last week but maybe it had less frontloading? Or they have inside knowledge of this week's openers all tracking horribly in "the heartland" to compensate...

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

41 minutes ago, nomyth said:

MT

1. SMH - 19.4%

2. WftPotA - 17%

3. Dunkirk - 14.6%

4. DM3 - 11%

5. GT - 5.8%

Shouldn't be Dunkirk IMAX come out in top 5 here instead of just Dunkirk?  I expect people will flocked into IMAX hall for dunkirk 

I mean, I understand being cautious about Dunkirk to a degree. I was always skeptical of those 60M predictions a couple months ago. But the positive signs prerelease are certainly undeniable. I could see it being presales heavy but if it builds enough of a lead tomorrow, I don't see how you can deny signs for a breakout. I've got my prediction at a cautious 49M in the derby right now. I could definitely raise or lower a few million tho depending on how it builds tomorrow.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Shouldn't be Dunkirk IMAX come out in top 5 here instead of just Dunkirk?  I expect people will flocked into IMAX hall for dunkirk 

Actually this is something I've always wondered about with MT. I've never seen a second version of any film come up in the top 5. I don't know if sales are combined or if it's just really hard to get a second version in the top 5.

1 minute ago, nomyth said:

Actually this is something I've always wondered about with MT. I've never seen a second version of any film come up in the top 5. I don't know if sales are combined or if it's just really hard to get a second version in the top 5.

It's combined. SW for example has had 99% of tickets sold in the past.

• Like 2