grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

That's what I do. This year I have gone to movies 12-14 times and the most I have paid for a ticket is bahubali 2: rs. 51. The actual price was 210. After discount it was around 15-25 rs. +tax it reached 51.

My actual question should have been, are their not enough discount codes given in USA? :D

I think it has to do with the booming startups in india. There is new online purchasing service every few months. They all give heavy discounts in the beginning.

There are discounts like the deal I mentioned with The Hitman's Bodyguard or like twomisfits mentioned but these discounts aren't there all the time. So unless you have a special membership (like my AMC one) the tickets online are more expensive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Detroit shedding showtimes like crazy around here this weekend (with more than a few sticking it to only 9:30-10:30 shows at night). I fear it's in for a miserable hold this weekend after already not opening to particularly good numbers.

• Like 1

2nd local is FINALLY up (nothing like waiting til almost last minute:)...

They have booked all 3 new movies on 1 screen each, with 4-5 showings/day for each (Nut Job 2 does not start til 12pm, so no extra showings for this one).

To make room, this theater KEPT WW and DM3, but only for 2 and 1 showings respectively.  Interestingly, APES also drops to a 1 showing/day (Spidey has kept his full screen here, as has EMOJI and DETROIT).  Valerian and Baby Driver are gone... 

PS - Nutty is being presold Thursday for 1 5pm showing, Glass Castle has 1 7pm showing, and Annabelle has 1 7pm showing, although its 3/4 sold, so it might get another last minute one...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Warner did the right move, although. After the first movie, there were an obviously mistrust towards the sequel, allowing reviews to be published early made disappear a bit of this feeling that it would be a bad movie, something that would seems less impressive if the mixed reviews were posted at same time of the great ones.

• Like 1

I think Annabelle will open around 22-23M and finish around 65M. It's still a sequel, and September legs will be nonexistent with It and mother! Annabelle has 4 weeks to make money, essentially. 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, less than 48 hours to go...and my mall has made another change, now kicking Nut Job 2 into one of its smallest theaters for its Thursday shows and dropping it to 600ish seats...so how many has it sold?  Still ZERO!  It's amazing they sold nothing, so could 1st drop a show and 2nd now drop this to the smaller theater - I am curious what movie is now getting "bumped up" into the bigger one...

Gonna track the one local now preselling...3 showings, 180 seats...also ZERO sales (but this one only started selling this morning vs last week, so less bad)...

Oh, and the local preselling Annabelle...it's got 2 showings with 60 seats for 120 seats total...it has currently sold 14/120...so, better than zero, although not sky high...

So, now that I can track 3 theaters for NJ2...here's where it's at...

1st local - FOUR seats sold - HALLELUJAH!  4/180

2nd local - ZERO seats sold - 0/160ish

Mall - ZERO seats STILL sold - 0/600ish (this has been on sale for over a week, so it's so sad)...

To say this is the lightest sales all year for an animated less than 30 hours out would be understating it...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Dunkirk - 11.1%

Dark Tower - 10.5%

Emoji - 9.7%

Girls Trip - 8%

Spider-Man - 7.9%

Dunkirk - 11.3%

Dark Tower - 10.3%

Girls Trip - 8.5%

Atomic Blonde - 7.5%

Emoji Movie - 7.4%

I am heading out, but this will need updating with the next update by movietickets.  Emoji could rise during matinees but if it stays where it is, then...   Spider-Man?

• Like 1

Some pretty big ad spends relative to low B.O. returns.  That Detroit number - ouch - and Nut Job 2's ad spend is par with Moana...

VARIETY / ispot.tv

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-nut-job-2-the-dark-tower-top-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202518055/

Top Movie Commercials by Weekly TV Spend Spend

figures are based on estimates generated from July 31 through Aug. 6

$6.46M – The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature

Impressions: 383,038,415
Attention Score: 93.16
National Airings: 2,329
Networks: 39
Most Spend On: Nick, Cartoon Network
Creative Versions: 13
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $19.7M
Studio: Open Road Films
Started Airing: 01/16/17

$5.97M – The Dark Tower

Impressions: 353,542,269
Attention Score: 91.00
National Airings: 1,520
Networks: 38
Most Spend On: ESPN, NBC
Creative Versions: 24
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $23.84M
Studio: Columbia Pictures
Started Airing: 05/03/17

$5.06M – Detroit

Impressions: 295,681,279
Attention Score: 87.40
National Airings: 1,589
Networks: 42
Most Spend On: NBC, ESPN
Creative Versions: 18
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $21.63M
Studio: Annapurna Pictures
Started Airing: 06/09/17

$4.53M – Kidnap

Impressions: 318,139,757
Attention Score: 89.82
National Airings: 1,529
Networks: 26
Most Spend On: NBC, ABC
Creative Versions: 18
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $11.63M
Studio: Aviron Pictures
Started Airing: 07/18/17

$3.69M – Annabelle: Creation

Impressions: 227,125,047
Attention Score: 93.845
National Airings: 1,020
Networks: 43
Most Spend On: Comedy Central, ABC
Creative Versions: 24
Est. Lifetime TV Spend: $10.08M
Studio: Warner Bros.
Started Airing: 06/25/17

1 Movie titles with a minimum spend of $100,000 for airings detected between 07/31/2017 and 08/06/2017.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/annabelle-creation-nutjob-2-dunkirk-box-office-preview-1202145555/

After giving us the summer’s highest grossing movie Wonder Woman, the sleeper Dunkirkand this weekend’s Annabelle: Creation, Warner Bros. will literally be responsible for juicing the box office again on Sept. 8 with New Line’s Stephen King feature adaptation It. Many rivals are already expecting that pic to clear at least $50M. 

Fandango is seeing brisk advance ticket sales for Annabelle: Creation that’s outstripping that of Annabelle and last summer’s Don’t Breathe ($26.4M)