grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna be fun seeing just how much The Rock can save such a movie so unappealing. Even the ads for Baywatch make it look like a sitcom that gets pulled after three episodes due to savage reviews and nobody watching.

Unappealing to whom? Critics? Lol.

• Like 2

Wow, just checked RT. Baywatch is actually making PotC look like a critical smash by comparison.

Will be interesting to see what kind of impact the critical reception has on both. Should be good for Guardians (holding on for a little longer) and WW (coming into a pretty empty market).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Unappealing to whom? Critics? Lol.

Not trying to argue and of course what I'm going to say isn't really evidence evidence but the folks I work with have zero interest in watching it. To them it just looks dumb. Again I'm sure there's an audience for it. It's probably going to do $25M for the 3-day or whatever but I do think to a large number of folks, the film does look unappealing. 

June will be similar to March:

Weekend 1: Superhero movie does great on OW

Weekend 2: Monster movie many though would be #2 is #1

Weekend 3: Disney wins the weekend

Weekend 4: A film geared towards a fanbase opens decently and crumbles afterwards

Weekend 5: Animated movie wins the weekend

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I have a strong feeling it'll hit 30M on OW. EC says it's a decent movie that'll be big with audiences, and August is pretty barren for crowdpleasing films (dramas and smaller films are another story).

I agree. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Hitman's Bodyguard becomes the biggest comedy of the summer. But I also have to see how Baywatch does because I think it'll come down to those two films personally. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, franfar said:

The movie had potential but just looks like a try-hard 21JS. Looks lame IMO, but that's just me.

When it comes to Comedy and horror I think they are completely subjective. Movie critics in my opinion are horrible at reviewing these two genres.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

When it comes to Comedy and horror I think they are completely subjective. Movie critics in my opinion are horrible at reviewing these two genres.

It's not totally about the reviews, I'm also thinking of the trailers. They're not funny, nor are they cool like 21JS. But again, that's just my opinion. 

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

Thought of doing a sellout count for Pirates, looked at Arclight, Century City and Universal and their main screens i.e. the dome, IMAX and Dolby are not even 25% sold out, and some theaters don't even have Thursday previews for some reason (Regal LA Live being the prime example). Decided not to bother with the rest of the theaters post that. Maybe it gets 7-8M previews just based on brand recognition?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Thought of doing a sellout count for Pirates, looked at Arclight, Century City and Universal and their main screens i.e. the dome, IMAX and Dolby are not even 25% sold out, and some theaters don't even have Thursday previews for some reason (Regal LA Live being the prime example). Decided not to bother with the rest of the theaters post that. Maybe it gets 7-8M previews just based on brand recognition?

Nothing can save this now. Brand recognition doesn't matter when nobody cares about it anymore. TF5 is next.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nothing can save this now. Brand recognition doesn't matter when nobody cares about it anymore. TF5 is next.

Went ~180 for both in the summer game and still think I went too high

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Went ~180 for both in the summer game and still think I went too high

I think both are going under Apocalypse.

Just now, Chewy said:

Have no idea whether Baywatch or Pirates will open higher, not sure which that is a worse sign for (it's worse for Pirates)

Baywatch has 0 chance at outgrossing POTC with those reviews and presales.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Transformers will, but POTC will go over it.

neither will IMO. Pirates will make at least 180m and TF5 should get over 200m. Has good trailers, summer days and is the major action release for 4th of July weekend

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Baywatch has 0 chance at outgrossing POTC with those reviews and presales.

yep, maybe if there is a sign Baywatch was a Hangover or at least a 21 Jump Street but there is zero sign pointing to that,