grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Century Arden has already expanded, BTW.  Added 12 shows between their initial set and now.

One of my Cinemarks doubled their Thursday (they had a ridiculously small number of showings - 7 - now, they have a more reasonable 15)...they have not budged on weekend showings though, so this is the odd movie which right now has 3 more showings on Thursday than Friday...

The other is still holding firm at the same ridiculous 7 showings Thurs and same FSS...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

One of my Cinemarks doubled their Thursday (they had a ridiculously small number of showings - 7 - now, they have a more reasonable 15)...they have not budged on weekend showings though, so this is the odd movie which right now has 3 more showings on Thursday than Friday...

The other is still holding firm at the same ridiculous 7 showings Thurs and same FSS...

Getting clearance from (upper) management, presumably.  Wouldn't expect it to take much longer to see some expansions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Friday showtimes will increase for sure. I can't get full data but took a sample and it's likely over 100k for Friday at MTC2 from 282 theaters. TROS was 67k after 20 hours from 280 theaters.

TROS pulled down $49.6M true Friday. We know MCU films are less front-loaded than SW (even Endgame at 1.6x previews to true Friday is higher than all 3 Skywalker Saga Disney films).

Back of the hand math says $75M true Friday…..

I won’t get my hopes up for that, though.

Actually I didn't plan to count already today. But then I read about the Sell Outs and thought it could be too late tomorrow. And that was right.
I counted only in NY today (tomorrow I will count in the same 4 theaters as for BW and F9). I'm sure that the Sell Outs are true.
It had 2 Sell Outs at 11am today and at least half of my shows said „Almost Full“ which meant 0 (yes, zero) to 4 seats were still available. A few minutes ago I counted already 6 Sell Outs. These were the numbers a few hours ago:

NWH, counted today at 11am EST for Thursday, Dezember 16:
NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 891 (9 showtimes)

Comps: BW had after 1 day in the same theater 193 sold tickets,
F9 had 202 after ca. one week

and SC had 540 sold tickets on its preview Thursday (= zero days left).

And NWH, counted today at 11am EST for Friday, Dezember 17:
NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 943 (10 showtimes)

Comp: SC had on Thursday of its release week in the same theater 724 sold tickets for Friday. So it already overtook SC on its final day :thinking:.

I really wonder how I can count it if most shows are sold out tomorrow or overmorrow. Maybe I should choose another day, Saturday maybe or Sunday.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Menor @keysersoze123

Noticed something at MTC2.  

Thanks to their combining DBOX and standard seats showtimes on their front page, if a DBOX showing sells out it also marks the regular showing as sold out, even though there are still tickets left for that showing.

Verified that by checking an Atom purchase versus an MTC2 one.

Don't know if your scripts are picking this up or not, but thot I should let you know.

Can see it here:

https://www.atomtickets.com/theaters/century-laguna-16-and-xd/3560 (might have to navigate to 12/16)

https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/ca-elk-grove/century-laguna-16-and-xd?showDate=2021-12-16

Specifically the 7:05pm and 10:25pm showings. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Menor @keysersoze123

Thanks to their combining DBOX and standard seats showtimes on their front page, if a DBOX showing sells out it also marks the regular showing as sold out, even though there are still tickets left for that showing.

Don't know if your scripts are picking this up or not, but thot I should let you know.

Can see it here:

https://www.atomtickets.com/theaters/century-laguna-16-and-xd/3560 (might have to navigate to 12/16)

https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/ca-elk-grove/century-laguna-16-and-xd?showDate=2021-12-16

Interesting, my showtime scraper doesn't even appear to be recording the sellouts. Weird, since I'm checking for the "soldOut" class, which does seem to be present. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

At this point I am not tracking anything. I am getting 503 with MTC2 and in a queue on MTC1. Will take a look once dust settles down on initial demand. 

Edit: just now I am able to retrieve shows at MTC2. Let me take a look on DBOX if I am able to retrieve all the data. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 5

Spiderman No Way Home

Greater Toronto area

Thursday Dec 16 (taken November 29)

25 theatres

151 shows

Total Sold 16177

Total Remaining 21879

Total seats 38056

percentage 42.5

*grim look*

I dunno....sales seem kind of weak.....

:ph34r:

In all seriousness....:what:

Almost 50 percent sold for a Thursday night showing 5 hours after going on sale for a movie not out for over 2 weeks.....this is like Endgame type stuff. I am interested to see when it slows down a bit, but a few theatres already have some near sellouts (and Im talking big auditoriums not vip 100 seat theatres).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Menor @keysersoze123

Can see it here:

Cineplex here thankfully does NOT do this with Dbox....it will shows 2 showings, dbox and regular seats. Dbox sells out but you can check the non dbox seats for actual seat counts. That's crummy if it's showing that for you guys and girls

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

6PlRXhI.gif

*****EXTREMELY***** QUICK AND DIRTY PERHAPS ERROR PRONE, RIDE-THE-WAVE SEAT COUNT FOR THE GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA

6515/20399 (31.94% sold)

This is without the True IMAX theater which didn't switch on its tickets yet, or one last Cinema West location.

OBVIOUS CAVEAT IS OBVIOUS:::::  

With all of the errors that sites were reporting, it is possible that some of these sales are phantom sales/bugs in the system.

On the other hand, if this is legit, it's ALREADY at 84.48% of Let There Be Carnage's FINAL NUMBER and 70.85% of Black Widow's FINAL NUMBER locally.

Yeah.  Might see why that could cause a few crashes. 👍

(and with that, I truly am Peaceing Out now)

NOT SO QUICK, MUCH LESS DIRTY, MINI UPDATE FOR GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA:

10685/24528 (43.53% sold)

2nd half of 2019: 10176/23492 (the TROS equivalent - more or less [a new theater replaced an old one making old comps somewhat suspect)

1st half of 2019:    9722/22449 (the Endgame equivalent - more or less [a new theater came online just at the end of Endgame's pre-sales)

===

Passed 10k tickets sold in the region.  TROS's first day was 8.3k (though that was two months out).  Endgame's first day was 15k, though that doesn't include a new theater and the swapped one.

Also, right about this time is when I mention, once again, that Sacto has been running ahead of its pre-2020 comps even when I adjust for new sources of tracking, so those equivalents could be off by as much as 10% to 15%. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Showtime sample is already returning 9,578 US shows with 1,181 of those being PLF.  Eternals was at 9,541 two weeks out, but it had 2,473 theaters with shows up, whereas Spider-Man only has 1,315 listed so far.  

We're up to 14,365 shows in the sample with 1,481 PLF.  1,981 theaters reporting.

Venom 2 comparison

T-3 - 12,285 in 1,978

T-2 - 13,768 in 2,381

T-1 - 15,596 in 2,716

Final - 21,288 in 3,024

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

NOT SO QUICK, MUCH LESS DIRTY, MINI UPDATE FOR GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA:

10685/24528 (43.53% sold)

2nd half of 2019: 10176/23492 (the TROS equivalent - more or less [a new theater replaced an old one making old comps somewhat suspect)

1st half of 2019:    9722/22449 (the Endgame equivalent - more or less [a new theater came online just at the end of Endgame's pre-sales)

===

Passed 10k tickets sold in the region.  TROS's first day was 8.3k (though that was two months out).  Endgame's first day was 15k, though that doesn't include a new theater and the swapped one.

Also, right about this time is when I mention, once again, that Sacto has been running ahead of its pre-2020 comps even when I adjust for new sources of tracking, so those equivalents could be off by as much as 10% to 15%. 

Looks like $35M+ to me…

Notes from a MTC1 employee in one of my groups….

“I work at an (redacted), and we got multiple emails from corporate’s IT department in regards to the sheer amount of strain their servers were under.  When Avengers Endgame tickets went live, there were roughly 200,000 people all on the site at the same time (repeatedly refreshing the page/app, which causes even more congestion). Spider-Man: No Way Home’s traffic is tracking 150% higher.”

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 5
  • ...wtf 3