grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

10 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

4m Thursday previews....talk of a "flop" is absurd

Disappointing considering the buzz and the reception but WB still owns October records!

In fact...WB owns July (HP), August (SS), September (It), October (Gravity), November (very likely Justice League)

Eat crow @WeneedtotalkaboutKevin

Just now, raegr said:

Disappointing considering the buzz and the reception but WB still owns October records!

In fact...WB owns July (HP), August (SS), September (It), October (Gravity), November (very likely Justice League)

I'm on the other end of the low previews to weekend multiple crowd.  I think it will be high due to the length of the movie really blunting the 2nd showing numbers last night.  Very few would watch a cerebral 3hr movie at 11pm Thursday...  

16 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I'm on the other end of the low previews to weekend multiple crowd.  I think it will be high due to the length of the movie really blunting the 2nd showing numbers last night.  Very few would watch a cerebral 3hr movie at 11pm Thursday...  

But are they gonna do it on Fri/Sat/Sun?  Or go to matinees Friday?  If the movie can only sell out the 6-8pm slots, it's not like theaters are giving it 12 showings at those times...

And "cerebral" and "looong" and "sequel" are not words that normally brings in the GA fan not already invested...so, I wouldn't get my hopes too high on a huge multiplier...I'm still seeing this playing like a better reviewed Alien Covenant and 8.5x-10.5x of that $4M brings the movie to $34M-$42M...I'd think the $42M more likely b/c fans aren't nearly as mixed or unhappy and critics were happier, but I don't think this gets non-sequel like weekend sci-fi multipliers...

Maybe it does...again, I haven't see #1, so I'm probably not the best estimator...but...

40 minutes ago, raegr said:

I feel like you wrote that 2nd sentence just to mention how confident you are in Justice League again :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I feel like you wrote that 2nd sentence just to mention how confident you are in Justice League again :ph34r:

AH YOU CAUGHT ME!

/seriously

I stand by me saying that WB is killing it. My point was to say that even if BR doesn't break the OW record of October, WB will still likely own 5 OW records in a row by the end of the year which is phenomenal!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But are they gonna do it on Fri/Sat/Sun?  Or go to matinees Friday?  If the movie can only sell out the 6-8pm slots, it's not like theaters are giving it 12 showings at those times...

And "cerebral" and "looong" and "sequel" are not words that normally brings in the GA fan not already invested...so, I wouldn't get my hopes too high on a huge multiplier...I'm still seeing this playing like a better reviewed Alien Covenant and 8.5x-10.5x of that $4M brings the movie to $34M-$42M...I'd think the $42M more likely b/c fans aren't nearly as mixed or unhappy and critics were happier, but I don't think this gets non-sequel like weekend sci-fi multipliers...

Maybe it does...again, I haven't see #1, so I'm probably not the best estimator...but...

I do agree with your reasoning.  I guess we'll see which "line of reasoning" plays out in the end because to me both make sense...and which one the masses of moviegoers veer towards is what keeps it interesting

17 hours ago, Brainbug said:

We shoudnt expect Blade Runner to enjoy big walkups or? Doesnt (nerdy) Sci-Fi tend to be presales-heavy?

Apparently:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/ryan-gosling-blade-runner-2049-harrison-ford-opening-weekend-box-office-1202183063/

, while 16% bought their tickets in advance over the last week.

I would imagine that Thursday night is the most heavy in pre-sales usually but 16% does seem significantly above average (electronic buy overall is around 13-14% I think, pre-sales in advance must be a smaller fraction than that) ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, raegr said:

Hot take: one is being grossly over predicted and another is being under predicted 

;)

Both are being overpredicted by each of their fanbase.