grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

29 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The fact Wonder has more sales makes me think The Star is DOA on its OW.  :lol:

Every theater is different. The Star is running at the same pace as Wonder it seems now but @Hiccup23‘s is the biggest theater in Wisconsin and is way bigger than mine so yes. I’m thinking a $12.5M/$45M run.

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Bad year for Christmas themed films. At least Disney and Illumination will bring in the big bucks next holiday season.

The Grinch has the potential to be Illumination’s biggest film.

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Yeah. I’m expecting big sales for Coco’s previews here because of $5 Tuesdays as well. @Hiccup23 is Coco getting a PLF?

Disney didn't allow discounted tickets for Moana's previews last year IIRC, so that likely won't change this year.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

My theater never does Discount Tuesday prices for Wednesday openers.

Same. Wednesday openings never get discounts for Tue previews here (the rare Tues opener doesn't get it either).

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disney didn't allow discounted tickets for Moana's previews last year IIRC, so that likely won't change this year.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

My theater never does Discount Tuesday prices for Wednesday openers.

Marcus does. Both JL and Thor had Student Tuesday and the price for Coco tickets here is still $5.

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Sony knows this won't make much money so no point spending extra on 3D. 

And it's probably smart...I mean, even for Thor this weekend, 3d pretty much was the last ticket to sell, and if there were rare showings with acres of open seats, it was all 3d showings...

This is way worse for regular kid movies...it's a kiss of BO death to have to have any showings on the 3d screen (the split screen is renowned here), b/c you know 1/2 the showings will be wide open and unsold then...

• Like 1

Digital billboards for both of this weeks openers are along I-95. The Daddy's Home 2 billboard is obnoxious as hell and somehow makes me want to see the movie even less (I'm already avoiding it like the plague).

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2017 at 2:49 PM, TwoMisfits said:

So, to some movie tracking...

1st - one local has now gone to 5 shows for Thor Thursday (vs 4) - it added a 2d at 8pm b/c those 2d shows are selling wildly better than the 3ds...we'll see if it adds any more as we get closer...

Now, to my local Friday sets...1st local (ie - the one that now loves foreign films to fill in) will have this set up for the weekend...

NEW

Thor - (3) (1 3d, 2 2d - 13 total showings) - so $150M cap by my screen-to-box-office Math if my other local goes 3 (since I expect mall to go 4:)...

Bad Moms - (1)

Ittefaq (1)

Returning

Boo (1)

Geostorm (1)

Jigsaw (1)

Happy Death Day (1)

Suburbicon (1/2)

Thank You for Your Service (1/2)

Blade Runner (1 showing)

Secret Superstar (2 showings)

4 foreign films sharing the rest of the 1 1/2 screens - I'll list them if anyone wants them:)...

1st local is up

NEW

Daddy's Home (1) (midsize)

Murder on the Orient Express (1) (biggest)

(Edited) C/O Surya (1)

Returning

Thor (3 - but instead of 2 biggest and 1 midsize, it's now 1 biggest, 1 midsize, and 1 smallest for 3d)

Ittefaq (1)

Bad Moms (1)

Jigsaw (1/2) / HDD (1/2)

Boo (4/5) / PSV GARUDA VEGA (1/5)

Three Two screens not set - I imagine they are scouring limited and foreign films and/or watching presales for the new movies before deciding where to go...I'm betting it will be 3 foreign films, since this theater seems to love to now book them (and they sell well there)...

Gone

Geostorm

Surburbicon

TYFYS

Blade Runner

Secret Superstar

The other foreign films 

Edited by TwoMisfits

Since people mentioned the Star, I went to check the one local selling this (my mall is also preselling, although my 2nd local hasn't decided).  While nothing is selling Thursday night, the prime mid-afternoon Saturday showing has already sold 20 tickets...which is not bad, considering I don't think I've seen this pop up 20 times on Fandango, so these may be in person sales.  I didn't think my area would sell this at all, nor have I seen a tv ad or heard a peep about this online, so there's that...And these are not a group sale, b/c they are separate rows and spaces between seats:)...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/theater-chain-amc-entertainment-loss-box-office-1202608347/

Citing lousy box office performance, AMC Entertainment Holdings has reported a third-quarter loss of $42.7 million, compared with earnings of $30.4 million for the 2016 quarter.

AMC made the announcement after the stock market closed Monday afternoon. Shares fell 9% in afterhours trading on the New York Stock Exchange to $11.10, down $1.10.

“We have been predicting weakness in the third quarter industry box office, due to the quantity and subject matter of the films that were scheduled to be released,” said Adam Aron, president and CEO. “Not surprisingly, our foreshadow was accurate.”

8 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/theater-chain-amc-entertainment-loss-box-office-1202608347/

Citing lousy box office performance, AMC Entertainment Holdings has reported a third-quarter loss of $42.7 million, compared with earnings of $30.4 million for the 2016 quarter.

AMC made the announcement after the stock market closed Monday afternoon. Shares fell 9% in afterhours trading on the New York Stock Exchange to $11.10, down $1.10.

“We have been predicting weakness in the third quarter industry box office, due to the quantity and subject matter of the films that were scheduled to be released,” said Adam Aron, president and CEO. “Not surprisingly, our foreshadow was accurate.”

Good. Let them die.

*begrudgingly pays $40-50 each month at one of their theaters*

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Good. Let them die.

*begrudgingly pays $40-50 each month at one of their theaters*

True though as seen here, despite the costs you (we all) pay the company is losing money.  They basically make no money on showing movies at all

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Since people mentioned the Star, I went to check the one local selling this (my mall is also preselling, although my 2nd local hasn't decided).  While nothing is selling Thursday night, the prime mid-afternoon Saturday showing has already sold 20 tickets...which is not bad, considering I don't think I've seen this pop up 20 times on Fandango, so these may be in person sales.  I didn't think my area would sell this at all, nor have I seen a tv ad or heard a peep about this online, so there's that...And these are not a group sale, b/c they are separate rows and spaces between seats:)...

I like bold picks so I stand behind your Star optimism!

• Like 1