grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Do you want me to suspend you for a week? I can do that you know. Then you don't have to worry about anything. I can suspend you till Monday after release, so you can not overreact to any numbers we get through the day.

Please do it. You would be doing the kid a favor. He is wasting his time getting ruffled about this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Please do it. You would be doing the kid a favor. He is wasting his time getting ruffled about this. 

I'm not. It's just a movie. I have overreacted in the past. I will do better. 

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Do you want me to suspend you for a week? I can do that you know. Then you don't have to worry about anything. I can suspend you till Monday after release, so you can not overreact to any numbers we get through the day.

I'd be behind this. 

Sales here are alright I guess but nothing exceptional (still some okay seats left in the first showing which normally would be close to or already sold out by now). Thinking maybe $110M tops. Not sure if BvS hurt it, maybe Thor took the steam out and now people rather spend money on Star Wars in December and skip JL altogether. Stinks as it is looking likely this won't sniff even Suicide Squad.

7 minutes ago, raegr said:

I'm curious as to what your middle or lower prediction is. 

Unless sales picks up next week, which it could, at this point I'm wondering if it'll get to $100M. As I said, the Thursday sales aren't fantastic, if I wanted to, I could still get a good seat at 6:30 or 7 (I'm going Friday morning as that time works better for me).

BTW, I just checked, and the first 2D showing for JL on Friday morning... I whopping 3 tickets sold including mine. The other two have been sold for a few days now. The first showing of the day (3D), none sold. Even it being a standard weekday, I would think there would've been more activity.

Edit: On the plus side, looking at the 7:40pm showing on Friday, probably a good 50% sold...

Edited by TheMovieman

6 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Unless sales picks up next week, which it could, at this point I'm wondering if it'll get to $100M. As I said, the Thursday sales aren't fantastic, if I wanted to, I could still get a good seat at 6:30 or 7 (I'm going Friday morning as that time works better for me).

BTW, I just checked, and the first 2D showing for JL on Friday morning... I whopping 3 tickets sold including mine. The other two have been sold for a few days now. The first showing of the day (3D), none sold. Even it being a standard weekday, I would think there would've been more activity.

Edit: On the plus side, looking at the 7:40pm showing on Friday, probably a good 50% sold...

Possibly anecdotal. We shall see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMovieman said:

:rofl:

JL will open with $100m+ even with a 0% at RT...

• Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, mredman said:

this will pick up steam in the weekdays up to the release. Mendleson thinks 140-160 million with 150 a good guess.After the weekend it will pick up. Thor picked up in weekdays too.

Source?

At my theater (sorry, just taken seat #s but will add auditorium sizes later) - I believe the IMAX and Dolby showings popped on first day of presales, but not sure when the RealD and regular showings did except that it was more recent.  Just as an idea this is behind Thor, probably by 25% as a guess but this theater was #5 Thor opening weekend per RTH.  These numbers are way way ahead of IT at this time (weekend before) which I suspect underperformed a bit in this area - the later Dolby for IT had only sold 15 tickets around this time and 6 of them were me and friends. 

Dolby

6pm - 85

935pm - 72

IMAX

6pm - 70

855pm - 72

Regular

6pm - 2

8pm - 21

1055pm - 2

RealD

7pm - 10

1010pm - 1

Love getting close to release week as we finally start getting to the point where comps are relevant and the same time before release. Deep Wang Saturday update:

- JL presales slightly above BvS at same point in time (Monday was the last BvS update, so that will be the final comp we get before Thursday), about 30% ahead of Suicide Squad and 90% ahead of Wonder Woman same point in time before release

- Fifty Shades does not look to be the mega presale monster anymore, sold less than 100k so far

- No idea what to make of Coco, will wait a week to see

- Wonder just stalled after that surge it had, remember last week when I said it was the same gross as Orient Express, its still almost literally the same number, added almost nothing this week

- Roman Israel up to 8 tickets sold

- TLJ is at about 75% of Rogue One's final number. Unlike other movies, Star Wars does not double on release week as presales are more frontloaded

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3