grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

38 minutes ago, RRA said:

More like 90-100, 100-110 and then an outlier late in the game of 125.

It was $90-110m three weeks out.  Then two weeks out it was $110-120m with Deadline tossing out a maybe $125m

During that period social media reaction and reviews came out and they were pretty damn enthused

JL was $100-120m three weeks out.  One week out it remains the same.

Early social media reactions for JL are closer to TDW early reactions (maybe not as good) than they are Ragnarok or WW.  

Will they be enough to give the pre-sales and o/w a push - we'll see.   Monday should be when we start seeing more of the effect.  

Right now though I think around $130m is the high end rather than the low end.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it fell somewhere in the middle, say $135-145m. Not a record breaker but still a huge OW

I hope the social media embargo lift contributed to some urgency in ticket sales. Next step is the actual full review embargo and if it goes over well (Rated Fresh) with reviewers and it does sway those folks who are still on the fence about giving JL a chance, maybe we'll see some spike in ticket sales.

Plus the final stretch should naturally see bigger ticket sales anyway so I'm still hoping JL will open closer to 150 million. But the tracking info from EC does not bode well for the OW even with a late impetus. :( :(

6 minutes ago, raegr said:

I'd honestly be so let down if this opened to less than Suicide Squad. It would be an abomination and a disgrace. 

Oh come on. 110M - 130M is still shitloads of money. Many films would kill for such numbers in their worldwide totals. It can be disappoining to you and Warner surely would want to have a bigger OW, but an abomination? No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Oh come on. 110M - 130M is still shitloads of money. Many films would kill for such numbers in their worldwide totals. It can be disappoining to you and Warner surely would want to have a bigger OW, but an abomination? No.

Especially as they've already had a huge DC domestic gross in Wonder Woman. If it does more than BvS WW  then they've scored two huge superhero hits for the second year running and they've got DC films lined up for the next 2-3 years at least

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

If it does less than MoS or revillied Suicide Squad, yes it is. This should be aiming at at least 150M.

If it doesn't that then...

we truly know the extend to which BvS hurt the DC brand. Here goes me losing faith again. I want off of this roller coaster!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raegr said:

If it does less than MoS or revillied Suicide Squad, yes it is. This should be aiming at at least 150M.

we truly know the extend to which BvS hurt the DC brand. Here goes me losing faith again. I want off of this roller coaster!

Maybe get off the internet for a while and get some fresh air?

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Especially as they've already had a huge DC domestic gross in Wonder Woman. If it does more than BvS WW  then they've scored two huge superhero hits for the second year running and they've got DC films lined up for the next 2-3 years at least

Sometimes it’s the women who have to pick up the slack for the men.

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

Thought experiment: you’re sitting in a roller coaster but it’s not actually moving. Your eyes are closed but all perceptions of speed, rising, and falling are mental constructs. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, raegr said:

Do you want me to suspend you for a week? I can do that you know. Then you don't have to worry about anything. I can suspend you till Monday after release, so you can not overreact to any numbers we get through the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Thought experiment: you’re sitting in a roller coaster but it’s not actually moving. Your eyes are closed but all perceptions of speed, rising, and falling are mental constructs. 

Are drugs involved?

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Do you want me to suspend you for a week? I can do that you know. Then you don't have to worry about anything. I can suspend you till Monday after release, so you can not overreact to any numbers we get through the day.

l41lJXdpEZFlTwNb2.gif

Now now, we don't want to do that...do we?

I'm your friend, remember? The sun's getting low, the sun's getting real real low...

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, grim22 said:

DO IT. PLEASE BAN HIM :ohmygod: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, raegr said:

I'm following rules, being respectful and I'm actually contributing. No need to ban me. On what basis?

For one, take your JL meltdown analysis to the proper thread:

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Moderation: THIS IS THE BUZZ THREAD. NOT THE MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD.