grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

90% of TFA's OW is 223.2M. Dunno, there's a somewhat decent chance of barely 210M happening :sadno: 

I've lived long enough to see the following phrase "there's a somewhat decent chance of barely 210M happening" be accomplied with a :sadno: smiley.

That's... That's kinda crazy. :lol:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reserved seating does lead to more advance sales tho :sparta: 

I mean, sure they do, but Star Wars was a presale monster 2 years ago. It’s just the rest of the films that are catching up.

Lets put it this way, the 3:30 AM showings haven’t been put out yet, but considering I’m looking at 734/736 so far for Thursday, that’s gonna change 

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 1

TFA so thoroughly obliterated presale records I wouldn't tie conventional wisdom about presales to it. It made $100 million from presales a few days before release, it was playing at a different level than anything else.

Even outside of TFA, Star Wars is a different beast: I have recollections of Revenge of the Sith being the highest Fandango pre-seller for years, I think until either Half Blood Prince or New Moon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

TFA so thoroughly obliterated presale records I wouldn't tie conventional wisdom about presales to it. It made $100 million from presales a few days before release, it was playing at a different level than anything else.

I think one difference between the 2, there was some weird fear of not being able to watch TFA if you would not pre-buy well in advance your tickets, even talk of Disney needing to talk to people that they can still go buy ticket without problem that weekend. And didn't they play the movie 24 hours unstop in some place ?

That will not happen this time people realized you cannot really come close to max out a weekend now a day with that many screens.

The first Sunday was the day the general audiences took over the and created a massive 2nd hype wave for TFA. The question is, if TLJ can do this, too. Otherwise, I don't believe, that being behind 10% in presales results in being 10% behind on OW. 

Also, keep in mind, that TFA opened closer to Christmas, what boosted its Sunday.

Edited by Poseidon

11 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

The first Sunday was the day the general audiences took over the and created a massive 2nd hype wave for TFA. The question is, if TLJ can do this, too. Otherwise, I don't believe, that being behind 10% in presales results in being 10% behind on OW. 

Also, keep in mind, that TFA opened closer to Christmas, what boosted its Sunday.

However, at the same time, presales also went towards Christmas Day, which I believe was the 3rd highest presale day ticket wise at the time for TFA. Currently for TLJ, I cannot purchase tickets for that far away

3 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

However, at the same time, presales also went towards Christmas Day, which I believe was the 3rd highest presale day ticket wise at the time for TFA. Currently for TLJ, I cannot purchase tickets for that far away

As far as I can see, the theater chain, that supposedly delivers Deep Wangs updates, has sales open over christmas. 

3 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Yeah, pre-sales are probably a bit more concentrated toward OW for TLJ than they were for TFA.

• Like 3