grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fuck why the hell is my theatre getting downsizing and father figures???😂😂😂

Jumanji better be fuckin huge now

Because it is Paramount and Warner Bros. only film of the season and theaters are forced to take them.  

• Like 1

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Because it is Paramount and Warner Bros. only film of the season and theaters are forced to take them.  

I think my theater might be passing on Father Figures :lol: (though that's because they only have 14 of their 20 screens open right now and they are also a popular art house location, they've passed on more mainstream fare to get the Oscar contenders during the renovation). Either that or All the Money in the World.

52 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Yea but that's instead of Pitch and Showman, which, IMO, would do way better business

I'm pretty sure theaters book movies based on what they think/know will do well at that particular chain and probably have access to box office tracking data that all of us can only dream to get our hands on. Jumanji, Greatest Showman, and Pitch Perfect 3 are the only wide releases this weekend that are getting booked everywhere, and for a good reason too (since they're expected to make the most by a wide margin). 

But yeah, those latter two getting passed over for two movies that likely won't do particularly well sounds odd.

Edited by filmlover
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@EmpireCity have you heard how many theaters Darkest Hour will be expanding into? The ad push has been pretty heavy for a film of its size.

It's probably getting a similar release as The Danish Girl did in its fifth weekend which was also Christmas (around 400 theaters). It's only opening at the arthouse friendly chains in my area.

Christmas openers

Jumanji 346 1633 21.19%
Greatest Showman 126 1349 9.34%
Father Figures 2 142 1.41%
Pitch Perfect 3 74 142 52.11%

PP3 and Father Figures only have Thursday showtimes up so far. Downsizing also has a Thursday preview (weirdly, its Thursday preview is in one of the larger auditoriums), but it hasn't sold anything yet. Jumanjji and Showman lost a morning show on a couple of days, which is why the total seats section is slightly smaller. Jumanji seems to be doing alright, and Greatest Showman doesn't look too shabby either.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

2nd local (Regal) is up for Wed-Thurs set - gonna list the Thurs previews (and who they swipe from)...

NEW

Jumanji (1 - split 2d/3d - 4 total shows)

Greatest Showman (1 - 5 total shows)

Darkest Hour (2 preview showings Thurs) - selling this on Friday on a full screen

Father Figures (2 preview showings Thurs) - not selling this Friday yet (so may be seeing a possible showing decrease, but it will get some sort of screen)

Returning

Star Wars (4 - 21 total showings)

Ferdinand (1)

Disaster Artist (1)

Coco (1)

Wonder (1) - loses 2 showings Thurs for previews

Thor (1) - loses 2 showings Thurs for previews

JL and Daddy's Home gone (not a surprise b/c these 2 got single showings on the weekend to up Star Wars shows for the whole weekend)...with Wonder and Thor losing the showings for Thursday, it's likely one or both are dumped or they get split-screened or single showings for the weekend...

This adds up to 11, but I think they are holding a screen for anything selling well of all the new openers - I'd expect Jumanji, since it only has 4 showings and that seems really light...

Edited by TwoMisfits

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure theaters book movies based on what they think/know will do well at that particular chain and probably have access to box office tracking data that all of us can only dream to get our hands on. Jumanji, Greatest Showman, and Pitch Perfect 3 are the only wide releases this weekend that are getting booked everywhere, and for a good reason too (since they're expected to make the most by a wide margin). 

But yeah, those latter two getting passed over for two movies that likely won't do particularly well sounds odd.

:hahaha:

Oh, wouldn't theaters love it was that way....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1