grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

:hahaha:

Oh, wouldn't theaters love it was that way....

My major chain theater has been passing on a lot of mainstream releases recently while undergoing renovation (which shut down half of their 20 screens - they now have 14 open for the holidays). Granted, it was for stuff that wasn't popular (My Little Pony, The Snowman, The Star), and it was for specialty fare, which is what is what really sells here.

To be serious, it is sort of that way, but theaters have to take on a lot of shit they would never want to play.  Think of it like a shoe store.  You have your Nike/Adidas/UnderArmour/Puma and roughly a dozen other brands competing for your shelf space.  

You can't call up Nike and say "I only want to sell these specific shoes and nothing else from your brand" because Nike is going to tell you to go fuck yourself.  If you want their best brand and model of shoes, then Nike is going to tell you sure thing as long as you also sell our boring old dad line and our experimental line.  

The store has a lot of shelf space and 4 walls.  You have your Nike on one wall, but you don't want to sell only Nike because that won't keep you in business for long so you have to sell all of the brands to keep your store busy.  The other brands are going to try and get equal representation in your store.  In the spring one of the brands might have awesome shoes but in the fall their shoes suck, but you can't tell them you will only sell their shoes in the spring because if you do that they are going to tell you they won't give you the good shoes in the fall.  You then have to agree to sell the shitty shoes because you want to be able to sell the good shoes later on.  

This is a very simple example of what booking movies at theaters is like.  Now expand out and imagine you don't have a single shoe store but you have 150 shoe stores.  You have 4 shoe stores in one city and to keep all of the shoe companies happy you have to sell one line at your smaller store so you can sell another line at your bigger store.  

Basically your theater might have taken on 2 movies they didn't want to play so they could take on the movies they did want to play at multiple other theaters.  Your theater took the bullet for the company so everyone could succeed overall.  

• Like 9

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Looking around, it appears a lot of theaters around me are not booking Father Figures for the weekend. Considering how long it's been sitting on the shelf, I imagine WB isn't gonna complain much and is just gonna be happy to be rid of it.

Agreed.  They know it is terrible and are hoping for Guess Who? at best and $25m at worst.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Agreed.  They know it is terrible and are hoping for Guess Who? at best and $25m at worst.  

I don't think it's even going to make that much tbh. It looks insanely unfunny and there's too much else out that's actually worth seeing. As I said earlier, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes sub-$20M like Walk Hard did ten years ago.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looking around, it appears a lot of theaters around me are not booking Father Figures for the weekend. Considering how long it's been sitting on the shelf, I imagine WB isn't gonna complain much and is just gonna be happy to be rid of it.

It says 2,800+ theaters.  Sometimes when I look at Fandango on Mondays and see full schedules already complete for some theaters, I notice that something like Father Figures sometimes wont show on the full schedule on Monday but slip in on Wed or Thurs. 

12 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

It says 2,800+ theaters.  Sometimes when I look at Fandango on Mondays and see full schedules already complete for some theaters, I notice that something like Father Figures sometimes wont show on the full schedule on Monday but slip in on Wed or Thurs. 

That's just an estimate though. The Star was expected to open in 3,000+ theaters but ended up with quite a bit less.

Anyway, some theaters are already posting their schedules up into the middle of next week and it appears that everything is getting slaughtered starting Wednesday and especially Friday. Even Coco is losing some theaters with 10+ screens on Friday. Probably gonna see at least a 1,000+ theater drop, possibly even higher when the entire frame is taken into account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Ughh, I do not want to get ahead of myself and I need to be careful with my time and energy, but my gosh...  We should get some links and a portfolio for all the new films coming out.   There is so much product!  I looked at last year and the year before and it was the same thing!!!  It just looks worse this year for some reason.  The same two weeks, Star Wars week 1 and week 2, about 23-25,000 screens of product goes in, and an equivalent is subtracted from holdovers.  Other years there were larger expansions like The Big Short, Fences, La La Land, Jackie, Lion, Danish Girl, Carol.  Those are what balance out what we are getting this year.  There is going to be a surplus, but that is not Monday when All the Money in the World comes out in 2,000 screens.  By that time, there will be a net +2,000 screens from 2016 and 2015.  But that shouldn't be nothing to worry about when analyzing the box office for the next 6 days.  For all we know, more screens will shed if the big openers flop.  Lol I remember Passengers getting all those 2 print showings everywhere!!!  I was all pissed because Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange were not going to make 250 then.  Hopefully this year, JL and Thor will get a seat in the holiday express train of multiple box office Saturdays

25 theaters

25 - Star Wars - 495 showtimes - 19.8 average

25 - Coco - 257 showtimes - 10.3 average

24 - Justice League - 134 showtimes - 5.6 average

24 - Wonder - 116 showtimes - 4.8 average

23 - Thor - 114 showtimes - 5.0 average

22 - Ferdinand - 144 showtimes - 6.6 average

22 - Disaster Artist - 113 showtimes - 5.1 average

21 - Daddy's Home 2 - 100 showtimes - 4.8 average

18 - Murder on the Orient Express - 85 showtimes - 4.7 average

16 - Just Getting Started - 61 showtimes - 3.8 average

13 - Bad Mom's Christmas - 48 showtimes - 3.7 average

10 - 3 Billboards - 52 showtimes - 5.2 average

10 - Lady Bird - 49 showtimes - 4.9 average

10 - The Star - 36 showtimes - 3.6 average

6 - Wonder Wheel - 30 showtimes - 5 average

5 - Roman J. Israel, Esq. - 12 showtime s- 2.4 average

4- The Man Who Invented Christmas - 13 showtimes - 3.3 average

2- Only the Brave - 4 showtimes - 2.0 average

1- Jigsaw - 5 showtimes

1 - BR 2049 - 2 showtimes

Fandango is incomplete for Wednesday.  Looks like BMC is gonna drop.  Just Getting Started holding onto Wed + Thurs.  Friday almost all incomplete.  Monday (The Post) has nothing.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Oof @ this blurb though:

"

If you hated how empowering the Pitch Perfect movies were for women, then you'll love how demeaning and abrasive the latest sequel is!"

So they double down on the racism here? :jeb!: 

Amazingly, my 1st local is still not set - I blame my discount theater again:).  Whoever said this week is a clear out is right, b/c starting Wed, the discount theater will now have Bad Mom's Christmas, The Star, and COCO (that's not a misprint - COCO is at my discount theater Wed - I have NO IDEA how they got it this soon, but it's gonna kill Coco's full price tickets locally)...I have never seen a Pixar film drop that early, and I have no idea why it wasn't Thor or JL (which this theater has not gotten yet)...BUT, it looks like Dec 20 lineup here will have Coco, The Star, Bad Mom's Christmas, Murder on the Orient Express, and Daddy's Home 2 - what a lineup for Christmas (almost better than the main theater one!)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Jumanji: $45-60M (6-day)

The Greatest Showman: $20-22M (6-day)

Pitch Perfect 3: $28-32M (4-day)

Father Figures: $7-14M (4-day, lmao what a range)

Downsizing: $10-12M (4-day)

Also Darkest Hour expands to 700 theaters this weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-can-christmas-glut-rescue-ailing-2017-ticket-sales-1069019