grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

31 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

What is going to be the double feature with Cars 3???

Looking back, Alice 2 got a boost while Civil War behaved normal with Dory opening.

Looking back, Tomorrowland got a boost while Ultron behaved normal with Inside Out opening

BOTH OF THESE WERE MEMORIAL DAY OPENERS

Looking back, Iron Man 3 got a boost when Monsters University opened (the weekend after Father's Day), but that was the only other Disney release out.

Does this suggest Pirates??  Maybe BatB?  I try to google this but all i see is Mummy double feature Cars 3.  Baywatch double feature Cars 3.  Galaxy 2 feature Cars 3.  UGHHHHHHH

We've done a check over on Fantasy Movie League, it is pretty much a hodgepodge. Slight majority to Pirates, with almost of the rest being, interestingly enough, Captain Underpants. Seems as if that "strike" of sorts by drive-in owners got Disney to back off a little.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. All Eyez

2. Cars

3. WW

4. 47 Meters

5. Rough Night

Showing up on Pulse right when previews begin is a bad sign.

47 Meters and Rough Night will open around the same. Sub $10M is where they're both headed. 

Movie Tickets: 

1. Cars 29.3%

2. Wonder Woman 23.8%

3. All Eyez On me 17%

4. Captain Underpants 4.3%

5. The Mummy 4.2%

These numbers are very encouraging for Cars 3 and All Eyez on Me, imo. 

I know Rough Night and 47 Meters Down are more walk-up driven.....but I would be concerned if they don't show up onto movie tickets by the end of the night. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nova said:

47 Meters and Rough Night will open around the same. Sub $10M is where they're both headed. 

RN will probably do over 10M because of its TC. It has nearly 1k more theaters than 47 Meters Down.

The four movies having Thursday previews are all in tiny auditoriums still have not sold out. WW is still in the larger theaters and at least the 7:10pm showing is about 80% sold.

Edited by TheMovieman
  • Like 2

I feel like Transformers 5 could be the best-reviewed Transformers movie so far (not saying much when the first movie received barely positive reviews) and it still wouldn't come close to sniffing a $200M gross. Like Pirates of the Caribbean, subpar sequels have really diluted the franchise.

that seems extremely low for TF. I can't imagine that happening. It is a walk up friendly franchise. Though I do expect the first two days to be muted thanks to the last minute release date change. If it reaches that low this might be the last TF in a while. Then again this is Paramount's biggest franchise still

Edited by John Marston

28 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I can see both those happening for sure. Spider-Man presales are literally the exact same as Wonder Woman's were at the exact same time before release based on the updates provided on Monday and Thursday. 

Transformers presales were half of Pirates at the last check-in, but it might be more walkup friendly as audiences know what to expect from the franchise at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The writing is on the wall for Transformers. We're 4 days away from previews and it's barely registering on Pulse. POTC had a frequent presence over a week away from release.

Which is why you need to call up your girl and tell her to make some better career choices. There's still time for her to jump out of the car wreck. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

that seems extremely low for TF. I can't imagine that happening. It is a walk up friendly franchise. Though I do expect the first two days to be muted thanks to the last minute release date change. If it reaches that low this might be the last TF in a while. Then again this is Paramount's biggest franchise still

The third movie got moved up to Wednesday just a few weeks before it opened and it still did gangbusters business over those first few days.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The third movie got moved up to Wednesday just a few weeks before it opened and it still did gangbusters business over those first few days.

actually the third disappointed on opening day with some thinking it would fall below 300m at the time. It picked up over the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

All Eyez over Right Night on opening day in Australia.

I expect that in the US as well. All Eyez will do well on Friday i.e. Tupac's birthday and then die over the rest of the weekend.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

They recent transformer entry to adjust their tracking (they use different formula for different type of movie and must take that walk up friendly into account, like for a fast and furious)