grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

HOw is it looking in SoCal? Are you still looking at sellouts?

Maybe I can take a look on Tuesday if I find the time. Am traveling for work this coming week, so am somewhat out of pocket.

• Like 1

It looks like All Eyez does better at night. It jumped Cars on Pulse the last two nights. It was even #1 briefly on Friday.

Not seeing Transformers pop up too much. It just seems to be selling really weakly. POTC was selling a lot more at this point if memory serves me right. Very curious to see when it pops up on Pulse top 5.

3 minutes ago, nomyth said:

It looks like All Eyez does better at night. It jumped Cars on Pulse the last two nights. It was even #1 briefly on Friday.

Not seeing Transformers pop up too much. It just seems to be selling really weakly. POTC was selling a lot more at this point if memory serves me right. Very curious to see when it pops up on Pulse top 5.

POTC weaved in and out of the Top Five 8-9 days before previews. 

• Like 1

Transformers has always performed as a slightly lesser or equal to pirates (exception being the 3rd which had its drop covered by the 3d boost) expecting anymore than Pirates 5day is crazy at this point and it truly looks like a failure setting up. The trailer reactions at wonder woman and the mummy last week reminded me of what happened last year with ID2 - awkward and poorly received. 

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Transformers has always performed as a slightly lesser or equal to pirates (exception being the 3rd which had its drop covered by the 3d boost) expecting anymore than Pirates 5day is crazy at this point and it truly looks like a failure setting up. The trailer reactions at wonder woman and the mummy last week reminded me of what happened last year with ID2 - awkward and poorly received. 

The marketing for it has been really confusing, IMO. It's extremely hard to get a grasp on what's actually happening. That might not matter as much for a franchise like this, but I think it might've hurt it.

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And this is different from the other Transforners movies...how?

In the series' defence we just watched the first one last night for the first time in several years. It still holds up well as a summer popcorn blockbuster and it has a clearly defined hook and a relatable kid everyman. The trailers made that very clear all the way back in summer of 06 when the teaser dropped (or whenever that was.) I hear confusion particularly when the Knights Templar are on screen when the current trailer shows. Someone should have asked if introducing a more convoluted past story line was the right way to go. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And this is different from the other Transforners movies...how?

finger-raise-then-walk-away.jpg

Still, the others didn't look as confusing to me. Or maybe I'm rewriting history, I dunno. This one just seems particularly muddled, even for a Transformers movie.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

There is definitely a lot more going on in the trailer for TF5 than the others. There's the Michael Bay explosions, but also Hopkins talking about King Arthur's court, bumblebee in WW2, some sort of world destroying machine, some.... crap with Walberg and the teen girl, and Optimus Prime turning evil. 

That's a ton of shit. And most of it is covered in all the promotional material as well.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

Presale updates: 

- Transformers 48 hours out is equal to Alien 72 hours out

- Spider-Man is pretty much equal to Wonder Woman and slightly less than half of Guardians roughly 3 weeks out

- Despicable Me 3 outpacing Pets at the same point in time

Ok, but not good for SMH. It should be more presales heavy than WW, especially with IM in it. If it opens on the same level as WW I am expecting something around what the first TASM did (260m). It's legs won't be nearly as good as WW's imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

Ok, but not good for SMH. It should be more presales heavy than WW, especially with IM in it. If it opens on the same level as WW I am expecting something around what the first TASM did (260m). It's legs won't be nearly as good as WW's imo.

I agree w/all of that, but in Spidey's defense, it probably will benefit from barren August late legs (and even in July, it only has to go through the Apes and Dunkirk duo, and w/good wom, it can co-exist w/both of them just fine) to make it closer to 300M.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, James said:

Eh, SMH and WW are going to be about even in terms of presale frontloadedness.

13 hours ago, aabattery said:

The marketing for it has been really confusing, IMO. It's extremely hard to get a grasp on what's actually happening. That might not matter as much for a franchise like this, but I think it might've hurt it.

It looks like an amalgamation of all of the previous Transformers movies combined into one. Even the action shots of the robots invading and fighting look like reused footage.

I predicted $80M for the 5-day in the weekend predictions thread but won't be surprised by something around $65M or even less. Definitely feels like a franchise past its sell-by date, even more so than Pirates. The embargo being held until the time when screenings start indicates the studio is well aware they have a bomb on their hands.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It looks like an amalgamation of all of the previous Transformers movies combined into one. Even the action shots of the robots invading and fighting look like reused footage.

I predicted $80M for the 5-day in the weekend predictions thread but won't be surprised by something around $65M or even less. Definitely feels like a franchise past its sell-by date, even more so than Pirates. The embargo being held until the time when screenings start indicates the studio is well aware they have a bomb on their hands.

no reason to release reviews when they will likely be vitriolic 

sell by date? It is still going to make a large profit and this is Paramount's biggest franchise. The franchise isn't going away anytime soon. Though they definitely should find ways to shake it up a bit

Edited by John Marston