Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Are there different time periods?

The first episode has a hint at it, but the third and fourth episodes really make it clear that Yennefer and Geralt's stories take place years before Ciri's.

All three will eventually catch up to one another.

The show probably could have structured things a little better/clearer (I'm halfway through)

Edited by 4815162342
  • Thanks 1

Finished the season.

Henry Cavill is perfect as Geralt and I enjoyed Anya as Yennifer even if I have  few minor complaints about the portrayal. I preferred the episodes where Geralt was taking on cases and hunting monsters. Those are where the show really shines. Character interactions Geralt has with Yen, the bard and others are another positive. The sword fights and monster fights were great as well the music. 

The main problem is the structure, writing and world-building is a bit wonky. Some of the nuance is lost when you have characters becoming comically evil and everything is one sided. Also don't repeat "destiny" every episode. Was also kind of bored with the big army fights too. The smaller fights were far more interesting. Finally the last scene didn't really work for me due to a lack of any build up in that relationship. 

Still overall it was very good. 7.5 (maybe higher)/10. It has potential to be really great if they fix up a few things. 

Will check out season 2 for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Finished the season.

Henry Cavill is perfect as Geralt and I enjoyed Anya as Yennifer even if I have  few minor complaints about the portrayal. I preferred the episodes where Geralt was taking on cases and hunting monsters. Those are where the show really shines. Character interactions Geralt has with Yen, the bard and others are another positive. The sword fights and monster fights were great as well the music. 

The main problem is the structure, writing and world-building is a bit wonky. Some of the nuance is lost when you have characters becoming comically evil and everything is one sided. Also don't repeat "destiny" every episode. Was also kind of bored with the big army fights too. The smaller fights were far more interesting. Finally the last scene didn't really work for me due to a lack of any build up in that relationship. 

Still overall it was very good. 7.5 (maybe higher)/10. It has potential to be really great if they fix up a few things. 

Will check out season 2 for sure.

I agree with all of this pretty much. I just finished as well, really enjoyed it and cavill slayed the roll. Looking forward to season 2. 

• Like 1

Finished the first season. 

I wasn’t really in the mood for the first episode when I first started watching it but I gave it another shot.  I think for the uninitiated it assumes to much but the second time around I stuck with it. Really enjoyed it and can’t wait for the second season. 

I very much enjoyed it and I think I made a good choice watching this versus going to the movies this weekend. I'd say 7.5/10.

At its best it gave me flashbacks of my Xena watching childhood but they really need to work on the pacing. I'm guessing since the timelines have met up (and that's another very badly handled area) that issue should improve.

Otherwise I think they did a good job. I knew nothing about The Witcher going in but I got into the world easily and two of the three main characters are interesting/well done so far so that's great. Ciri is a boring mess imo but hopefully she'll grow.

Finished the first season last night.

Overall it was good and I enjoyed it, but it did have several notable issues:

• The dialogue writing was cringey at times
  • The non-linear structure of the show, especially in the first half, did not do it any favors. Could have been executed a bit better.
  • The entire Ciri on the run plotline of the season was languid in pace and could have been compressed into like 3 episodes instead of stretching over 7. The character barely gets anything to do.
  • Some of the CGI monsters looked very dodgy (like the ghouls in the finale). Hopefully the show gets a little kick in budget to improve that a bit for season 2.

Never thought i'd enjoy this as much as i did, especially after seeing some of the ridiculous reviews. You always hope for the best but what are the chances they'd pull it off? For the most part, they did here.

It captured that unique fairytale with a dark twist vibe so well. By the 3rd episode i was fully invested and it only got better. What a great finale! Some genuinely affecting moments. My quibbles are generally minor, like the writing being a little heavy handed at times, like hammering home the concept of a destiny.

Some people had problems with the tonal shifts between humorous and serious, i didn't mind. I also had absolutely no issues with the structure. It's really not difficult to figure out a couple episodes in and at least it gives your brain to think about a little.

Can't wait for season 2! And hopefully many more if they can keep the quality up.

• Like 2