Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

15 hours ago, Elessar said:

Really digged the first episode. I'm taking my time with the season, no need to rush through it, it will last me longer that way. :)

I wish I had your discipline. But yeah I enjoyed this season more than season 1 even though I did long a bit for that season 1 fun tone a bit. Henry Cavil is awesome as Geralt. Now back to waiting 2 years for season 3 hahaha

On 12/19/2021 at 8:17 PM, Elessar said:

Really digged the first episode. 

Well, unfortunately the 1st episode was the best of the whole season. All those people claming the 2nd season is an improvement to the first, i cannot agree. I was actually emotionally invested to what happened in season 1, not so much here. Hope they turn a corner, it would be a shame otherwise, because the show has some good things going for it. This story deserves better than an "okay" adaptation.

So many changes to the books...

I mean I liked this season, it was entertaining and the high budget is nice, but when your list of changes vs the books looks like this (spoilers obviously in this link, and major, major changes to the story, basically...)

There's bound to be some problems later on. All the changes they made will soon snowball out of control if they're not careful and they won't be able to follow the books' plotlines as well. We're already seeing consequences with big character teleports that make no sense in the last few episodes, all because of the pointless changes they made.

I find it funny when showrunners/screenwriters think they can change source material like this as if they know the story better than the original author who likely spent years if not decades making sure that his timelines/characters/events happened in a roughly logical and/or consistent manner. Now I know that film/TV is not a medium comparable to books, and some things have to be changed for sure if you are to adapt things to the screen, but you have to stay true to the characters and themes. Actually, most of what they changed was changed for the sake of being changed, serves no real purpose, and hurts the story and characters. Some examples (spoilers):

Spoiler

(Geralt would NEVER use Ciri as bait, Yennefer would NEVER betray Geralt, she's Ciri's mother figure and wouldn't do this, and also Geralt wouldn't forgive her for that either, he is really hard to forgive) Also this random witch stealing Yen's powers and possessing Ciri is a fabrication of the showrunner. It messed up with so many things as none of what happens in the show's final episodes happens in the books, basically. The number of things they had to move around for it to happen is breaking all kinds of in-universe continuity and consequentiality. 

Minor other things but why switch Yennefer & Triss' roles? Triss is the one who was believed dead in the books, not Yen. It worked. Why change those things? Baffles me. Since they changed that, characters start teleporting around because of course, the whole timeline is wonky now that they changed pointless things because Triss should be in other places and Yen as well.

I could go on and on but apparently some person thinks they're so intelligent they can just change random things from an established story that had decades of building up, and expect everything to work and make sense. We're already seeing the cracks and we're so early in the story... I fear for the future of this franchise. 

I hope for the best though and it's still good, as the excellent production design and main actors carry this show hard for now. But the writing is nearing nonsensical levels.

I thought this was a big step down from Season 2 in big part due to focus being on Ciri who is a boring character and actress the weakest in the trio. The show's best character and actor - Yen - was relegated to aimlessly running around trying to escape from X number of perils, while big chunk was dedicated to Ciri trying to act tough which was lulz and some side plot about Elves that I couldn't care about especially when the Queen Elf went all Biblical villain on babies. Also, the show was building up to one thing only to switch gears at the last moment and then we got that possession/evil tree/monster multiverse nonsense. The twist with daddy was predictable cause his character started to pop up in flashbacks too much while we never saw the big kahuna that Fringe and Cahir mentioned 1000 times over. Hmmm. Likewise, popular relationships/pairings from last season were absent cause everyone was separated and at the different side of the world. 

I wasn't bored but wasn't engaged either. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

What the hell?! When i read it i was like, is it April 1st?

Was there really no way to do both, Supes and Witcher? Really disappointed in Cavill that he would just drop Witcher, a role he worked so hard to get. Maybe he wasn't happy with the direction the show was going? Oh well, in any case, this kinda kills my remaining hopes for the show...

Edited by Elessar