Fullbuster

The Witcher (Netflix) : Netflix's Game of Thrones?

Yep, this thing is huge. Netflix released the list of their most popular movies and original TV shows for 2019, and after just a few days The Witcher is near the top or even #1 in many countries. Beating Stranger Things is especially impressive:

Top 10 Most Popular Series of 2019 (UK):
The Witcher
After Life
Stranger Things 3

(Edit: Netflix actually used projections to predict viewership for The Witcher and other December releases, which is fair but means you have to believe their model based on just a few days of data. The point still stands: the show is very popular.)

Spoiler

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (UK):
The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann
6 Underground
Murder Mystery
The Witcher
The Irishman

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (France):
Money Heist: S3
The Witcher
6 Underground
Sex Education
Umbrella Academy
Stranger Things 3

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (Germany):
6 Underground
Money Heist
The Witcher
Murder Mystery
The Irishman

And again, that's after one week. Six seasons and a movie for The Witcher.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

After that first episode it was a bit of a bore until the last 10 minutes. Now I'm four episodes in and it's got my interest. One thing I'm a bit confused on is there seems to be some time jumping happening or the episodes are playing things out of sequence. Idk. I got confused by Yenefer saying something about doing decades of work in some royal court and the sequence with Canathe declaring a wedding and then being dead a few scenes later. I think Henry Cavill is doing great. I like the "Hm..." you see in the CC viewing of the film. I like the bard and that first song was catchy. Hopefully I can finish the season today. 

Until you get to the 3rd/4th episode and Geralt shows up in Cintra the different time periods are not clear at all. Within the first episode I was even thinking the time settings were the other way around. It doesn’t even really serve any narrative purpose vs just keeping it all linear.

If you’re recommending someone else watch it you really should tell them about the different time periods. 

• Like 1

Netflix’s ‚The Witcher‘ dethroned ‚The Mandalorian‘ as the biggest TV series in the world

The show, which arrived on Netflix on December 20, passed Disney Plus‘ „Star Wars“ series, „The Mandalorian,“ as the top show in the world the week of December 22 to 28. „The Witcher“ was also the top show in the US, with nearly 127 million demand expressions compared with „The Mandalorian’s“ 115 million demand expressions in the US that week.

Not bad, not bad at all...

• Like 2

Wow. This was so much better and entertaining than the reviews suggested. It could have been even better with better dialogues etc. However it is quite good for what it is. Yeah it's not GOT but it doesn't have to be just because of the genre. It's already a hit for Netflix and if they improve even marginally in 2nd season this will be a jackpot for Netflix and next biggest thing in TV series.

I’m enjoying it, for the most part, so far but I’m confused by the whole time period thing. I just watched the 4th episode and at first I wasn’t sure what was going on lol. 

I figured out the whole ball sequence is a flash back to how Geralt becomes bound to Ciri and all but the part with Yennefer confused me when she said she was tired of doing what she was doing for 3 decades. So was everything she was going through in the first three episodes a flash back as well?

What parts are actually taking place in the same time line?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

I’m enjoying it, for the most part, so far but I’m confused by the whole time period thing. I just watched the 4th episode and at first I wasn’t sure what was going on lol. 

I figured out the whole ball sequence is a flash back to how Geralt becomes bound to Ciri and all but the part with Yennefer confused me when she said she was tired of doing what she was doing for 3 decades. So was everything she was going through in the first three episodes a flash back as well?

What parts are actually taking place in the same time line?

None of them are in the same period yet. I think episode 5, when Geralt and Yennefer first meet, is where they start connecting. Everything comes together by the end. Just keep going.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Yep, this thing is huge. Netflix released the list of their most popular movies and original TV shows for 2019, and after just a few days The Witcher is near the top or even #1 in many countries. Beating Stranger Things is especially impressive:

Top 10 Most Popular Series of 2019 (UK):
The Witcher
After Life
Stranger Things 3

(Edit: Netflix actually used projections to predict viewership for The Witcher and other December releases, which is fair but means you have to believe their model based on just a few days of data. The point still stands: the show is very popular.)

Hide contents

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (UK):
The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann
6 Underground
Murder Mystery
The Witcher
The Irishman

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (France):
Money Heist: S3
The Witcher
6 Underground
Sex Education
Umbrella Academy
Stranger Things 3

Top 10 Most Popular Releases of 2019 (Germany):
6 Underground
Money Heist
The Witcher
Murder Mystery
The Irishman

And again, that's after one week. Six seasons and a movie for The Witcher.

interesting @Plain Old Tele, can also I add "to believe those data with huge grain of salt? " did you say something same, when I posted data? :) or?
I like these tables, but I think those ones which I posted getting data also from netflix, yes?

why netflix data model is ok, and their data model is not? if they are taking their data directly from netflix?

I think I can add from Starship Troopers "would like to know more?" YES :)

Marek

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

but the part with Yennefer confused me when she said she was tired of doing what she was doing for 3 decades. So was everything she was going through in the first three episodes a flash back as well?

Yes. Easy, isn't it? I think so, too. ;)

No but seriously, it's really not that confusing. You also see king Foltest as a child in episode 3 who is an elderly man in the Geralt timeline. Another clue.

Basically, the oldest timeline is Yennefer's origin, then comes Geralt's timeline which begins in episode 1 when he becomes the butcher of Blaviken and one could say Ciri's timeline is the present day. Until they all start to converge in the later episodes.

It's done this way because season one is an adaptation of a short stories collection and they wanted to introduce us to the main three characters at about the same time so when they finally meet we as the viewer should already be invested in them.

Fret not, season 2 should be without confusing timelines...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marek the Jedi said:

I like these tables, but I think those ones which I posted getting data also from netflix, yes?

why netflix data model is ok, and their data model is not? if they are taking their data directly from netflix?

It is Netflix ranking their own shows, they know very well how many viewers watch every single one of their programs and have no reason to lie about the relative popularity of series and movies they own.

Parrot doesn't have access to Netflix data, Netflix keep their ratings a secret (even from producers and showrunners of their series). The Parrot ranking is based mostly on social media and is very unreliable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marek the Jedi said:

interesting @Plain Old Tele, can also I add "to believe those data with huge grain of salt? " did you say something same, when I posted data? :) or?

I think I can add from Starship Troopers "would like to know more?" YES :)

Marek

Netflix is the only entity with the data. We basically have to trust them. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is Netflix ranking their own shows, they know very well how many viewers watch every single one of their programs and have no reason to lie about the relative popularity of series and movies they own.

Parrot doesn't have access to Netflix data, Netflix keep their ratings a secret (even from producers and showrunners of their series). The Parrot ranking is based mostly on social media and is very unreliable.

I wonder how they can pull data from social media hmmm :(
if what you are saying is true, why nobody challenge them?  or pretty pictures and nice tables and ranking is enough???? :( 
where are those times when I could easily find rentals from box office data :) hmm :(