Eric is Quiet

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

2 minutes ago, DAARRRRR said:

Well don't forget studios that aren't Disney have shorter windows to keep their Marvel characters

Whatever Fox's exact X-Men rights and contracts are, considering they have hundreds and hundreds of mutants to choose from, it doesn't seem too difficult to imagine them putting out a film that stars 1 character in order to keep the rights to the other 1000.

Sony now seems to be heading in that same direction with Venom and Silver and Black.

• Like 2

Isn't the Spider-Man contract only good for six movies then the rights go back to Sony again? Will be interesting to see how they handle all of that when it ends since three movies (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War) are already out of the way.

Just now, filmlover said:

Isn't the Spider-Man contract only good for six movies then the rights go back to Sony again? Will be interesting to see how they handle all of that when it ends since three movies (Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War) are already out of the way.

The contract can be extended (and probably will).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

They could've stuck to their original plan with Raimi and McGuire and skipped a reboot. Whoops. 

I think they would've ended up where the POTC franchise did.

SM4 pulling in 875 m (around the same as SM3) then dropping by 100+ m with SM5.

Better results than the ASM but not mind blowingly better.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Would love to see the results of that study. If the study finds RT doesn't affect advance ticket sales, Time Warner and Comcast aren't going to change the site.

Wonder how they would change it though.

The institution I do some jobs for has been approached to come up with ideas on how to tackle this issue (can't get too specific without getting my ass on the line). There's indeed a very real concern on showbiz about how these ratings drive patronage, but they seem a bit lost about what to do. They can't just shut them down or change them up in some lame obvious way, because the format is too popular and somebody else will run it if they close or neuter RT. They seem to be more interested in finding ways to bend aggregated ratings to their will, so to speak.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

It will probably depend on how this Spider-Man universe of Sony's goes. Like if Venom is a flop, I doubt they'd want to take Spider-Man out of the MCU.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The contract can be extended (and probably will).

From the looks of the villain spin offs Sony is trying to crank out, guessing after SMHC3, Sony will get back Peter Parker for their universe thanks to MCU goodwill, while MCU gets Miles Morales and some villains.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think they would've ended up where the POTC franchise did.

SM4 pulling in 875 m (around the same as SM3) then dropping by 100+ m with SM5.

Better results than the ASM but not mind blowingly better.

I don't see the new one doing that well. It will do fine but I mean saturation in this franchise is as prevelant as any we have out there. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I wish I could get excited for Baby Driver like everyone else is, but it seems alot more like Scott Pilgrim Wright than Hot Fuzz Wright. And like Scott Pilgrim, this has a squirely wafer of a charisma vacuum in the lead, so I'll end up rooting for everyone else. 

:apocalypse:

1 minute ago, franfar said:

I'd love to see it happen, but then it would totally fuck my Summer Game

I am guessing it will drop "only" 64-67% :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

The institution I do some jobs for has been approached to come up with ideas on how to tackle this issue (can't get too specific without getting my ass on the line). There's indeed a very real concern on showbiz about how these ratings drive patronage, but they seem a bit lost about what to do. They can't just shut them down or change them up in some lame obvious way, because the format is too popular and somebody else will run it if they close or neuter RT. They seem to be more interested in finding ways to bend aggregated ratings to their will, so to speak.

Interesting :thinking:

We could be moving towards no reviews till OD soon.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

"98% ON ROTTEN TOMATOES!!!!"

(with reviewers named Chris between the ages of 24 and 27)

• Like 3