Eric S'ennui

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

• Community Manager
Just now, Daxtreme said:

Uh...

What the hell? No way I'm skipping Matrix Reloaded and The Two Towers (who does that?), this guy just spouts random nonsense

I didn't share that blog because he was particularly insightful or had smart commentary. Just pointing out that even when POTC 3 was coming out, people did bring up RT-albeit this time in the comments section. :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

How does a movie collapse 71% over a holiday weekend?? It's pretty crazy for sure. 

As someone pointed out on WhatsApp, both Pirates and Alien would have done much much better if the previous installments never existed. Captain Jack returning after a long absence would have been huge instead of wasting that goodwill on Pirates 4 when it wasn't long enough between installments for nostalgia to kick in. Ridley Scott returning to Alien would also have been a huge deal if not for Prometheus.

Yup, and also ATW ends with implying that it will be ten years before anything can change with Will. Bringing it back ten years later makes logical story sense too

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Yup, and also ATW ends with implying that it will be ten years before anything can change with Will. Bringing it back ten years later makes logical story sense too

:winomg:

Now that's a huge missed opportunity 

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What were the last films that weren't  affected at all by terrible reviews/RT scores  in the last 3 years or so ?

Some candidate: Taken 3 (326 million on a 11% RT Score !!), Suicide Squad, BvS, 50 shades of Grey, Transformer, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

The problem with the "it would've been bigger if it was Depp's big return to the franchise" theory is that everyone, universally, wants Depp to go away

• Like 5

At the time On Stranger Tides was made, Disney did not own Marvel or Star Wars and POTC was their biggest franchise. Of course they would make another one 

and OST made a lot of money. I doubt they are having any regrets 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Uh...

What the hell? No way I'm skipping Matrix Reloaded and The Two Towers (who does that?), this guy just spouts random nonsense

I'd definitely skip Reloaded and Revolutions

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The problem with the "it would've been bigger if it was Depp's big return to the franchise" theory is that everyone, universally, wants Depp to go away

If that were true then why isn't Pirates flopping liks Alice 2? The character is still a draw at least overseas. Though Depp's star power has definitely faded overall  

Edited by John Marston

Just now, John Marston said:

If that were true then why isn't Pirates flopping liks Alice 2? The character is still a draw at least overseas 

Teenagers buying tickets so they can see Baywatch, every $ is really Baywatch $$$

It's hard to say if a film is definitively effected by reviews or not.  You can show films that succeeded despite bad reviews, but you can't say with certainty that the film wouldn't have done better with good reviews (and change nothing else).

It's probably every movie is effected by reviews to some extent we just don't know the magnitude of that extent (which likely varies Movie by movie)

Every movie is its own unique thing in a unique period of time.  So it's really hard to predict and project what makes them successful in any definitive sense.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The problem is that without Keira Knightley, nobody else can carry a POTC movie. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The problem is that without Keira Knightley, nobody else can carry a POTC movie. :ph34r:

I thought her and Legolas were the worst parts of ATW and OST.

But to be honest I don't remember anything from those two movies.

1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

I thought her and Legolas were the worst parts of ATW and OST.

But to be honest I don't remember anything from those two movies.

Well they weren't in OST so...

:lol:

• Like 5

• Community Manager
Just now, LaughingEvans said:

Please don't make me watch it again.

Not even a cameo? :redcapes:

If Keira/Orlando had cameoed in OST, I would have seen it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

I can't remember the last time a TV show is the pop culture event of the summer over a movie, maybe the initial season of Survivor? 

???

Stranger Things was the biggest pop culture event of last summer. Besides maybe Dory, I guess.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

???

Stranger Things was the biggest pop culture event of last summer. Besides maybe Dory, I guess.

Yeah stranger things came to mind for sure after I wrote that post. The point was more how traditionally hit shows go fall or spring and movies are summer but clearly those lines have been blurred in recent years.