Eric the Fall Guy

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

19 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Yeah stranger things came to mind for sure after I wrote that post. The point was more how traditionally hit shows go fall or spring and movies are summer but clearly those lines have been blurred in recent years. 

I think streaming is changing that.  Most TV Shows you can now watch at your leisure, allowing for WoM hits like Stranger Things and such.

It's harder to get people in front of a TV at a specific time for ratings during the Summer, but it's not a problem with streaming.

• Like 5

Something I just realized - Pirates 4 had its 2nd weekend over MD weekend and it made 40/50 over 3/4 days. It's second weekend will be two-thirds of Pirates 5's OW with no holiday next weekend to soften the drop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Since Pirates, Alien, and likely Transformers 5 (and maybe Cars 3 and DM3 too), I wonder if Spider-Man: Homecoming and Justice League will suffer from fatigue due to previous mediocre movies to the GA (ASM1&2, SM3, SS, BVS, MOS). 

All of them will suffer. 

Those 200m+ predictions for Cars 3 seems outrageous, the franchise was never that popular or hyped.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Something I just realized - Pirates 4 had its 2nd weekend over MD weekend and it made 40/50 over 3/4 days. It's second weekend will be two-thirds of Pirates 5's OW with no holiday next weekend to soften the drop.

yes. if you take out thursday previews. Pirates 5 grossed 56.5m. That is just 40% higher than Pirates 4 2nd weekend. Plus you have a big PG13 movie opening next weekend which is taking away all Imax and PLF. Its gonna drop 60% for sure.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

yes. if you take out thursday previews. Pirates 5 grossed 56.5m. That is just 40% higher than Pirates 4 2nd weekend. Plus you have a big PG13 movie opening next weekend which is taking away all Imax and PLF. Its gonna drop 60% for sure.

Didn't Baywatch have the IMAX screens because of the WB deal?

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Baywatch isn't WB. Pirates has IMAX and sharing PLF, Baywatch is sharing PLF only.

:bagoverhead:  Damn, I just checked on this last week because I kept think WB and saw it was Paramount.  My mind just defaulted back to WB.  I blame Chips.

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

???

Stranger Things was the biggest pop culture event of last summer. Besides maybe Dory, I guess.

I second this, but I'd also say 13 Reasons was definitely the biggest pop culture event of spring, no movie really topped it even if one might have come close (BatB).

• Like 3

Also, looking back on other Memorial Day openers of the past, HOLY SHIT HOW HYPED WAS BRUCE ALMIGHTY? ACCORDING TO BOM, THAT THING ADJUSTS TO NEARLY 140M OVER THE 4 DAYS!!!!

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, looking back on other Memorial Day openers of the past, HOLY SHIT HOW HYPED WAS BRUCE ALMIGHTY? ACCORDING TO BOM, THAT THING ADJUSTS TO NEARLY 140M OVER THE 4 DAYS!!!!

I remember following the box office on and off at that time and no one was giving it a chance to win the weekend. Pretty out of nowhere huge opening since everyone expected Matrix Reloaded to dominate its second weekend as well.

Prior to the weekend, most industry and media pundits had pegged The Matrix Reloaded to top the chart for the second weekend in a row, making such puns as "pray for Bruce." But the mighty Matrix tumbled 60% as its rabid fanbase mostly saw it the first week, while Bruce exceeded all expectations, including industry tracking that suggested an opening in the $50 million range for the four days. 

"Even our wildest expectation wouldn't have been this high," Universal's head of distribution Nikki Rocco told Box Office Mojo. "We had a hard time finding something to compare it to. There's never been a big comedy like this opening on Memorial Day weekend. It's usually action sequels." 

"The tracking was excellent," Rocco said, adding that the studio thought Bruce would be in the $60 million range at most for the four days. "You can tell if people want to see a picture by the tracking. But in all my years in the biz, I've found you can't come up with an exact number based on it."

• Like 6

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I second this, but I'd also say 13 Reasons was definitely the biggest pop culture event of spring, no movie really topped it even if one might have come close (BatB).

No it wasnt.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

If you measure pop culture events by the number of accompanying think-pieces, it was. :ph34r:

Im taking a break from most think pieces. Its just a bunch of BS articles for the most part.

• Like 2