Eric the Fall Guy

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

55 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Exactly.

Depp had the reputation of being the nicest guy in Hollywood (only Pitt and Clooney really rivaled him for that title) and he really fucked that up.

It might just be my age speaking, but I never knew about Depp having a nice guy persona (besides him visiting kid's hospitals in costume occasionally)

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

People keep mentioning something called Waititi and I still don't know wtf that is. Is it some boring indie movie?

Not the STD thread. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, franfar said:

It might just be my age speaking, but I never knew about Depp having a nice guy persona (besides him visiting kid's hospitals in costume occasionally)

Growing up whenever I saw any list of "nicest people in Hollywood" Depp would almost always be at the top. The only other people I ever saw at the top of those lists were Pitt and Jolie.

Bruce Willis and Natalie Portman were the opposite, always at the top of the meanest lists.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1

Funny Anecdote on Johnny Depp :

In an interview I saw from some kind of Butler (don't know the english word) from of the most prestigious hotel of the French riviera, the guy talked about how Johnny Depp and Kate Moss (his girlfriend at the time of the events) would completely destroy everything in their Royal Suite just for fun.

Living the Dream He has for sure.

We can't pretend to know movie stars but to me, Keanu Reeves seems to be one cool and laid back motherfucker I d like to hang with.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Pirates 5 could have done better with better last minute marketing (a March release closer to the well received Super Bowl ad) and if Depp hadn't been involved in these bad allegations 

I dunno, I don't think it had a bad release date. March was way too crowded...maybe the beginning of April but this slot actually had less competition. Yeah Covenant shares some of the same audience but there hasn't been a family friendly big blockbuster since Guardians since that was R and we all knew King Arthur was not going to do that great if the reviews weren't stellar.

Now marketing? I think Disney did a good job with it. But Depps Heard scandal and maybe a lack of interest from the series hurt it. And the reviews definitely didn't help. Had they been glowing, I think this would have been a much different situation but the movie would have to be a lot better for that to have happened. 

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We can't pretend to know movie stars but to me, Keanu Reeves seems to be one cool and laid back motherfucker I d like to hang with.

Completely agree. Everything I've read and seen about the guy seems genuine and he likes to stay out of the spotlight. Poor guys been through so much too.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I dunno, I don't think it had a bad release date. March was way too crowded...maybe the beginning of April but this slot actually had less competition. Yeah Covenant shares some of the same audience but there hasn't been a family friendly big blockbuster since Guardians since that was R and we all knew King Arthur was not going to do that great if the reviews weren't stellar.

Now marketing? I think Disney did a good job with it. But Depps Heard scandal and maybe a lack of interest from the series hurt it. And the reviews definitely didn't help. Had they been glowing, I think this would have been a much different situation but the movie would have to be a lot better for that to have happened. 

I would have switched Pirates and Beauty and the Beast. Beauty would have have still owned in the summer and Pirates would benefit from the less crowded schedule, coming a little more than a month after its Super Bowl ad, and also being able to hang on to IMAX 3D longer ( apparently the IMAX 3D is very good)

IMO in my perfect world Pirates would've come out at Christmas, Rogue One would've come out this weekend, and we wouldn't get The Last Jedi until December 2018 but that's not the world we have sadly :(

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I would have switched Pirates and Beauty and the Beast. Beauty would have have still owned in the summer and Pirates would benefit from the less crowded schedule, coming a little more than a month after its Super Bowl ad, and also being able to hang on to IMAX 3D longer ( apparently the IMAX 3D is very good)

Yeah that would have worked but I bet Disney saw Pirates being less competition for Guardians then BATB would have been.

I understand their reasoning.

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

IMO in my perfect world Pirates would've come out at Christmas, Rogue One would've come out this weekend, and we wouldn't get The Last Jedi until December 2018 but that's not the world we have sadly :(

No! lol I want TLJ asap...glad to hear alot of rewrites aren't being done so far. But we'll finally get a Star Wars movie on the anniversary next year with the Han Solo thing.

If you guys are bored, highly recommend checking out some of the other ride videos from the other asian Disneylands. Most of them are exclusive to those parks and are unlike anything we have here in the US.

This one has insane animatronics (the monkey looks like an actual cartoon) and effects. I don't live far from Disneyworld and would go a lot more often if they updated their rides to be like this. Shanghai and Hong Kong always looks dead but they really have some of the best rides out of any of the many Disney parks. It feels like they have a much larger budget even though the American parks make a lot of money

Animatronics have come a really long way and this ride perfectly blends them with the CGI screens. I have no idea how they did one scene.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 4