Eric the Fall Guy

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

To defend Johnny Depp's artistic choices to some extent, I think Hollywood is so set on boxing him into "extremely quirky, Captain Jack-esque" territory that he probably hasn't had much to choose from in terms of studio projects as of late, with the exception of Black Mass (which still had the hooks of a makeup-based transformation and "quirk" in the sense of playing a deranged murderer).

It's hard to imagine him getting a straight role like those in Chocolat or Finding Neverland nowadays.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Depp has chosen terrible roles for the last few years.

That's eventually going to weaken your star power.

And being accused of a horrible crime, whether guilty or not, can easily become the final nail in the coffin.

He is guilty though. He lost the court case and there's a bunch of easily available online evidence.

• Like 7

The Rock was a huge reason why Fast Five was so great, he was definitely the right guy at the right time but in no way did he "save" the franchise either. It was more the general direction that the franchise moved towards going with the Ocean's 11 meets 007 route with fast cars and sidelining the local street racing stuff. Case in point, Furious 7 The Rock was barely in and is the most successful. Point I'm making here is that the Fast franchise was Vin's and Walker's.  It's still Vin's and always will be.  The Rock had no right to throw his weight around at the fucking producer of the franchise. 

Just now, Mulder said:

He is guilty though. He lost the court case and there's a bunch of easily available online evidence.

Okay but I wasn't making an argument either way.

Anyone who picks bad roles consistently and has terrible allegations against them is going to lose star power.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Okay but I wasn't making an argument either way.

Anyone who picks bad roles consistently and has terrible allegations against them is going to lose star power.

I actually think a part of the charm he once had that allowed him to be more of a draw, has disappeared because of how he's behaved in his personal life. I don't like to comment too much on a movie star's personal life because it's meant to be private. But based on things that have come out in regards to Depp, I can see why some folks who followed his career or were avid fans, are no longer fans. Apart of having appeal as a movie star like Depp, is about the brand. And Depp has ruined his brand. And he hasn't really shown any progress in trying to fix it. 

Eventually it becomes hard for studios to defend hiring a guy who no longer is the draw he once was AND has a tarnished public image. 

• Like 6

I honestly think Pirates's performance isn't bad. Its three-day opening will be comparable to the adjusted openings of Mission: Impossible III and Rush Hour 3, which also arrived with muted interest after a six-year release gap. Even though those films' openings were disappointing in their day, they were also coming off of predecessors that were massively successful, which was not the case with On Stranger Tides (domestically, anyway). Moreover, it's also performing far better than Alice Through the Looking Glass over this weekend last year. I know that the bar I'm setting here seems like a low one to clear, but I honestly wouldn't have been surprised to see Pirates fall into the $40-50 million range with Depp's sinking appeal, the weak response to the fourth film, and the disastrous performance of last year's belated Depp-headlined sequel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I actually think a part of the charm he once had that allowed him to be more of a draw, has disappeared because of how he's behaved in his personal life. I don't like to comment too much on a movie star's personal life because it's meant to be private. But based on things that have come out in regards to Depp, I can see why some folks who followed his career or were avid fans, are no longer fans. Apart of having appeal as a movie star like Depp, is about the brand. And Depp has ruined his brand. And he hasn't really shown any progress in trying to fix it. 

Eventually it becomes hard for studios to defend hiring a guy who no longer is the draw he once was AND has a tarnished public image. 

Exactly.

Depp had the reputation of being the nicest guy in Hollywood (only Pitt and Clooney really rivaled him for that title) and he really fucked that up.

• Like 2

It could have done better if the 4th movie didn't exist. It could have done better if it was a better movie. It could have done better if the Avengers appeared. It could have done better with like a 1000 other reasons shifting in its way. What is, is.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

Just now, MrPink said:

It could have done better if the 4th movie didn't exist. It could have done better if it was a better movie. It could have done better with like a 1000 other reasons shifting in its way.

Quality does not affect opening weekend. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Quality does not affect opening weekend. 

It will affect the total.

Not to mention reviews could have hurt the buzz going into release day.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

It could have done better if the 4th movie didn't exist. It could have done better if it was a better movie. It could have done better if the Avengers appeared. It could have done better with like a 1000 other reasons shifting in its way. What is, is.

How would it have done if Nolan was at the helm?

Emoji_Icon_-_Thinking_grande.png?v=14855

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pirates 5 could have done better with better last minute marketing (a March release closer to the well received Super Bowl ad) and if Depp hadn't been involved in these bad allegations 

Thats a lot of ifs...I think it's doing what it would've done anywhere, barring it just being an incredible movie.  I liked the movie, way more than it's RT score but what can I say, people have tired of this.  Not too much though so hey, at least it won't lose money.

• Like 3