Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

why do you think Iron Man 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 didn't meet expectations?

Dragon 2 had a TV show that may have impacted gross. IM2 looks more of the same and had middling reviews.

• Like 3

Just now, John Marston said:

why do you think Iron Man 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 didn't meet expectations?

Personally? 

How to Train Your Dragon 2 did wait 4 years (then again, that doesn't really matter for animated films) and I think we all just overestimated its appeal/potential. I had that pegged to win summer 2014. Iron Man 2 out-opened the original by a good amount but made less because it sucked. Simply WOM.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Movie studios seem to be taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Can see big changes coming for that site soon @baumer

DA7USj5XsAAkgFi?format=jpg&name=large

Finally, they are doing something about it.

• Like 3

Rotten Tomatoes has always been a shitty rating system. Never understood how anyone could take them seriously especially when they don't even read the reviews half the time, something that was proven when RT gave "Fresh" ratings to mixed reviews for Avatar. It's all bullshit.

But blaming them for your crappy films' under-performing? Fuck off, Disney and Paramount. Look in the mirror.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Movie studios seem to be taking Rotten Tomatoes seriously. Can see big changes coming for that site soon @baumer

Means they're gonna start putting more quality into their films.  Gonna be harder to get away with your film being shit from here on out.

Just now, That One Valerian said:

Means they're gonna start putting more quality into their films.  Gonna be harder to get away with your film being shit from here on out.

Quite the contrary. Some studios will let reviews out OD instead of making better films.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Rotten Tomatoes has ruined people's ability to seek out reviews.

No one reads a THR review of a movie, they just go on Rotten Tomatoes to see if THR gave it a big, green symbol or a fucking tomato.  

And that leads to the mindset of "this film is bad because its rotten on Rotten Tomatoes", instead of asking "Why this film is bad".

Actually read the criticisms or praise, don't just stare at the rotten symbol and dismiss it.

Edited by UNDERDOG
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

Means they're gonna start putting more quality into their films. 

Or in typical fashion, Hollywood will learn the wrong lesson, and restrict critic's reviews to mitigate a bad OW

Could I get a source on that, @grim22? I'd like to share it.

1 minute ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Rotten Tomatoes has always been a shitty rating system. Never understood how anyone could take them seriously especially when they don't even read the reviews half the time, something that was proven when RT gave "Fresh" ratings to mixed reviews for Avatar. It's all bullshit.

But blaming them for your crappy films' under-performing? Fuck off, Disney and Paramount. Look in the mirror.

Critics assign the fresh or rotten rating, if I'm not mistaken.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

when the movie is always testing well, how would you know what to change? I can see what they are getting at.

I mean, if the films have shitty legs, that should make you question the methodology of your testing. You can't blame poor WOM from audiences on rotten tomatoes.

5 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

I mean but a lot of people here seem or have liked both movies. Quality can't be gauged as objective. Similarly BatB did well on RT but you and I (as well as others on here) both hate it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I remember Devin Faraci gave Suicide Squad a mixed review, but decided to give it a 'fresh' rating on RT, even after declaring that the film really isn't all that good.

Seems like the more confident studios like Disney, WB, Fox and Universal will still have critic screenings. However maybe Sony and Paramount will wait until OD.

• Like 1