Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

2 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Actually read the criticisms or praise, don't just stare at the rotten symbol and dismiss it.

It is a really good way to have 0 spoiler for people that love going to movies 100% blind (no trailers, no nothing tend to be a nice way to experience a movie imo).

Just now, Barnack said:

It is a really good way to have 0 spoiler for people that love going to movies 100% blind (no trailers, no nothing tend to be a nice way to experience a movie imo).

Then just read a spoiler-free review.

Or at least, read the small excerpt critic's usually have on RT.

Edited by UNDERDOG

I think they should do like metacritic or like imdb. All critics should assign a score to the movie. seems more fair and balanced. i know some already do  it, but they should get rid of fresh/rotten system. its not a good grading system

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alli said:

I think they should do like metacritic or like imdb. All critics should assign a score to the movie. seems more fair and balanced. i know some already do  it, but they should get rid of fresh/rotten system. its not a good grading system

Metacritic is usually better, for me at least, because they allow you to give it a mixed rating.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Seems like the more confident studios like Disney, WB, Fox and Universal will still have critic screenings. However maybe Sony and Paramount will wait until OD.

When you are franchise heavy, you probably don't need review and certainly don't need critics to have your movie outthere, I doubt Sony give away is relation with critics, it actually need it, at this point Disney/WB would probably be happy without them (look at WB history of embargo so close to the releases).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean but a lot of people here seem or have liked both movies. Quality can't be gauged as objective. Similarly BatB did well on RT but you and I (as well as others on here) both hate it. 

Fair point, but I think studios will at least try and do methods to ensure quality control by hiring more prolific/well-renowned directors/writers instead of your Brett Ratner's or Ehren Kruger's.  David Fincher being courted for WWZ 2 is one example of this.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I mean but a lot of people here seem or have liked both movies. Quality can't be gauged as objective. Similarly BatB did well on RT but you and I (as well as others on here) both hate it. 

You forgot to include me.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Valerian said:

Fair point, but I think studios will at least try and do methods to ensure quality control by hiring more prolific/well-renowned directors/writers instead of your Brett Ratner's or Ehren Kruger's.  David Fincher being courted for WWZ 2 is one example of this.

Except mamy many times renowned directors don't want to make these movies 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

It would best work if as a user you could follow only critics you trust and get an average score/percentage from them.

The problem is that people like us would use that but the GA won't take the time to learn what critics are compatible with their taste. They just to look at a number and get a quick summary. That's why RT is popular

1 minute ago, That One Valerian said:

There are hundred of movies every year. There's only one Fincher  and directors of his caliber are a few and they don't waste their time doing blockbusters

12 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

Means they're gonna start putting more quality into their films. 

I'm not sure how much more money they can put in them to add quality, they are most of the time already trying to put the maximum of quality into their films.

3 minutes ago, That One Valerian said:

I don't disagree with you. I believe that studios need to be more ambitious in what they intend to do and the control that they give their filmmakers

10 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Could I get a source on that, @grim22? I'd like to share it.

Critics assign the fresh or rotten rating, if I'm not mistaken.

I mean, if the films have shitty legs, that should make you question the methodology of your testing. You can't blame poor WOM from audiences on rotten tomatoes.

It's Deadlines weekend update

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-dead-men-tell-no-tales-baywatch-box-office-weekend-1202102887/

• Like 2

Just looking at the movies I've watched this year.

Spit - 75% on RT

Get Out - 99%

Logan - 92%

King Kong - 76%

Ghost in the Shell - 45%

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 81%

Sorry but I don't see these ratings as incredibly unfair or inaccurate.

And if these ratings are ridiculous you can still analyze the audience score or the average rating.

Rotten tomatoes isn't broken. And returning to the times where reviews were scattered everywhere is ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Except mamy many times renowned directors don't want to make these movies 

-Spielberg is making Ready Player One.

-Zemeckis could be making The Flash.

-Fincher might be doing WWZ 2.

-Villeneuve made Blade Runner 2049.

etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

It would best work if as a user you could follow only critics you trust and get an average score/percentage from them.

This would be an awesome feature to add to RT but only hardcore movie nerds would use it, if anyone.

21 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

RT also has an audience score.

Maybe studios should brag about their high audience scores in their advertising instead of trying to overhaul how the critics' scores are aggregated.

They use the cinemascore a bit, a website audience score would sound just unreliable to people I think, moreso if it start being used in advertising (why not make automated bot vote ?)