Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

5 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Civil War was also a lock for 1.5 billion plus.... 

CW wasn't an Avengers movie, despite it having all the characters. Most countries had it titled Captain America 3. WOM wasn't too high as I don't think it was a very fun movie to watch for the general audience outside of the airport battle. Not to mention it came out after BvS. There are many reasons CW only made 1.2B. 

5 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Civil War was marketed as Spider-Man joining the MCU in a battle between Iron Man & Captain America ... with an appearance by Black Panther.

and it still did less than Iron Man 3 WW (if I remember correct)

Marvel hasn't shown they can reach that # since 2012, so I can't say anything is a lock.

HOw many cBM were released in 2008 and2012??

29 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Will the DCEU ever have an Avengers size behemoth at the box office ?

Or any movie involving Iron Man since that movie for that matter, especially WW ?

No.

Not even Avengers 2 got within $100m of it. 

(About 10m less people). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Problem with the DCEU hitting Avengers level is they already blew their wad with BvS. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman all in the same movie was quite a novelty to waste 2 movies in and with no buildup for 2 of the 3.

no they didnt at all. JL will be their TEAM UP movie ala Avengers. Fun and superheroic. BvS was dark. JL will not be

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Hold on a second man, the discussion was about whether the DCEU can reach TA type levels on one of their films. If you deny that is going to be a theme as we are already seeing worse legs with each passing wave, then you really do your BO analysis a disservice. 

Trust me my BO analysis is far from servicable to even be a disservice

3 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

CW wasn't an Avengers movie, despite it having all the characters. Most countries had it titled Captain America 3. WOM wasn't too high as I don't think it was a very fun movie to watch for the general audience outside of the airport battle. Not to mention it came out after BvS. There are many reasons CW only made 1.2B. 

We'll see if general audiences love seeing their heroes get murdered then in Infinity War.  Because if that doesn't happen, Marvel will have been playing things too safe given the build up for Thanos since 2012.

Edited by AdamKendall

Spider Man Homecoming needs to gross considerably more than $709m not to be considered a huge waste of time by the way. 

If it make the same or less they might as well have stuck with Andrew Garfield. Pressure is on! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Spider Man Homecoming needs to gross considerably more than $709m not to be considered a huge waste of time by the way. 

If it make the same or less they might as well have stuck with Andrew Garfield. Pressure is on! 

Yeah, Sony and Disney would feel so bad if they just made $200m of profit from the movie.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, Sony and Disney would feel so bad if they just made $200m of profit from the movie.

Serious question, is Disney gonna make any money at all from Homecoming? Other than ancillary income from toy sales and the like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This is a discussion I brought up the other day.

If SM:HC makes let's say 300/400=700 would Sony be happy or not?

• Like 1

Superhero "fatigue" is indeed happening in the sense that the ceiling may very well be lower than it was 6-8 years ago. I doubt a film ever sells as many tickets domestically as THE DARK KNIGHT did (which was a much larger number than 3D boosted Avengers). That said, the floor seems to have picked up for them quite a bit. Regardless of pathetic reviews, a 2016 Batman movie featuring Superman in 3D with developed overseas markets should not be coming $125 million below a 2008 Batman movie without 3D, 8 years of inflation, Superman, and dramatically improved overseas markets.

For anything to challenge records again, Christopher Nolan would need to make another Bale as Batman movie, with Leo Dicaprio as Riddler and a dead July marketplace. It would also need to happen within the next 3 years.

Otherwise, I don't think we ever see those heights again. The films are not commodities any more.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Serious question, is Disney gonna make any money at all from Homecoming? Other than ancillary income from toy sales and the like.

Well, it was a co-production with Marvel Studios which is owned by Disney, so I assume that yes, they will get a cut of the revenue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not really. 

ASM3 Dom could have been below 200 and with current exchange rates, 500 OS+ might have been tough for another spidey without IM's appearance/Avengers connection.

New Spidey is why Homecoming is looking at 250+ dom and the Avengers and IM connection why OS is looking good.

edit:

ASM3 would have been O/U 625 IMO (175 Dom + 450 OS).

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

The real money is in the toys sold after the movie. See: Cars

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the international threads but the dollar has spent much of the year weakening. Well off the highs set early last year. 

It's off the highs, but still well above the average level of the last decade or so:

http://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-dollar-index-historical-chart

Just now, excel1 said:

Superhero "fatigue" is indeed happening in the sense that the ceiling may very well be lower than it was 6-8 years ago. I doubt a film ever sells as many tickets domestically as THE DARK KNIGHT did (which was a much larger number than 3D boosted Avengers). That said, the floor seems to have picked up for them quite a bit/

Regardless of pathetic reviews, a 2016 Batman movie featuring Superman in 3D with developed overseas markets should not be coming $125 million below a 2008 Batman movie without 3D, 8 years of inflation, Superman, and dramatically improved overseas markets.

I agree with this. A lot more people watch CBM movies than used to back in early 2010s but the people who don't watch CBMs stay away from all of it so we have a higher floor and a lower ceiling. $1.5 billion for IW will depend mostly on China. As far as the domestic goes, nothing over $500 million is a lock.