Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

11 minutes ago, DAR said:

The Numbers website has the budget listed as 250 million.  I'm assuming that's after the tax rebate.

Those website tend to be run by a couple of guys and do not necessarily update their numbers, they write what studio told the trade near release date and don't often update them.

For example we know it got from the UK a tax rebate of $32.1 million US, to give a bit of an idea on the range tax rebate can look like (that were the estimate of a net budget of 378 million come from)

The estimate for the net budget of the previous Pirates movie were of 341.8 million (matching the a bit over 700 million spent on production Tele heard from someone).

An easy rules of thumb then to be, if it is perfect round number, it cannot be the known net budget they never are round number.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Because if I'm a fan of Captain America, but didn't see AoU because, idk, didn't feel like it, then I don't want to be subject to confusion from Civil War.

Intertwining these movies have benefits to those following the franchise movie-by-movie, but not to those who have more specific favorites in the franchise.

For example, I didn't see the first Thor until like a year ago because it looked boring. I have no intention of seeing any more Thor films. 

Yeah but if you're a fan of Captain America I'm pretty sure that most of the audience is checking out AOU even if it's just to see him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

Was MOS suppose to do a 3x or something????

Im missing something.

Well...yeah. 

People have become very blind.

They are trying imply BVS multipler on the entire franchise which is delusional.

MOS is an good argument because it nearly matches SS multipler and if WW can grab an 2.7x The Dceu Average for legs will be around 2.4x which would put to rest the arguments of Bad Word of Mouth.

Many have come to the conclusion that the word of mouth was bad from 3 releases but since we are 4 films in now and the Dceu is  Getting more established The universe is starting to justify itself.

That may be but The DCEU stilll is stacking up well against the MCU films as of late.

Im not saying The Dceu will pass it but I'm am saying they are doing extremely well as far as income goes.

59 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

So your perspective is to hate it then?

If you are gonna ignore he multiplers and the Income then you can never be fair on judgement.

Theres only two negative things so far and that's rotten tomatoes scores and BVS multipler after that there's really anymore negative there as all the films have positive fans scores no matter of they are not overwhelming positive.

It's so much fun looking back at Jeff Robinov's hubris surrounding Man of Steel, which only grossed about half of what he predicted worldwide.  Any argument about MoS should always refer back to this.

Warner Bros. motion pictures group president Jeff Robinov went so far as to predict it will be the studio’s highest performer ever. That would mean the 3D movie, which cost about $225 million to produce and another $150 million to market and release around the globe, would have to top the $1.3 billion cume for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” and the $1 billion-plus each earned by four other Warner releases, “The Dark Knight,” “The Dark Knight Rises,” “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/warner-bros-sets-bar-high-for-latest-and-priciest-incarnation-of-superman-1200493334/

(It has) a very fresh feel, and it takes you into the DC universe with the introduction of Krypton at the start of the film and the introduction of DC villains,” he says. “It’s a world that you have not seen before.”

Blatant hypocrisy from Robinov above, considering MoS replicates the structure and villains of Superman I/II very closely, despite it's "modern" tone. 

“We’ve seen him portrayed in the past as this kind of goodie two-shoes, Boy Scout character that didn’t feel very realistic,” says Deborah Snyder, who produced the picture with Nolan and his wife Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven.

With respect, Jenkins and Wonder Woman just proved you wrong, Mrs. Snyder

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

These budgets are crazy imo and most of the time they don't show in the final product. when i go to the cinema i don't feel like ive watched a 300M movie. that too plays a part in being disappointed with the final product.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I've never understood the complaining about having to watch previous Marvel movies to understand the new one.

It is more about explaining audience resistance and why word of mouth cannot really work, that complaining I think (at least in my case).

1 minute ago, Alli said:

These budgets are crazy imo and most of the time they don't show in the final product. when i go to the cinema i don't feel like ive watched a 300M movie. that too plays a part in being disappointed with the final product.

The word to describe that feeling is BLOATED. 

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Don't forget that they get inflated and half the time they are paying themselves.  When Disney makes a Star Wars movie, most of the money is in special effects, which are basically done at an in house company they own.  Same thing with the sound and editing.  Same thing with the advertising dollars they pump into their own networks.  

• Like 9

Side note, but with all the SS being a horrible hated movie talk, it is doing quite great on home video. According to the-numbers.com in the US:

- Suicide Squad - 80.6m (DVD+Bluray sales)

- Civil War - 74.5m

- Bvs - 74.6m

- Deadpool - 92.9m

- Apocalypse - 30.4m

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, James said:

Side note, but with all the SS being a horrible hated movie talk, it is doing quite great on home video. According to the-numbers.com in the US:

- Civil War - 74.5m

- Bvs - 74.6m

- Deadpool - 92.9m

- Apocalypse - 30.4m

Will Smith. His power.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, God Emperor Tele said:

Expense doesn't automatically equate to "looking amazing or expensive" -- it's just the byproduct of paying a lot of people for a long period of time. 

Specially when you are housing them on location, having crew member living 10 month in Namibia for Fury Road with cost you over 100+k for each of them (specially those with a family).

At the peak of production a movie like MadMax had 1700 crew member:

Big’ doesn’t even begin to encompass the sheer scale of the Fury Road endeavour. Want some quickfire numbers? At the height of filming, there were 1,700 crew members – with an average of 1,000 people on set at any one time – as five 8x8 German military transport trucks hauled gear across three football-pitch-sized distances six times over 138 days.

Even if you spend nothing of SFX, material, etc... just having over 1000 people on set every day will cost you over 1 million a week in salary alone,+ living expense, + travel expense. It must easily go to over 3 million a week for 1700 people, before you shoot an build/destroy anything.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Yeah but if you're a fan of Captain America I'm pretty sure that most of the audience is checking out AOU even if it's just to see him. 

I doubt it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

- Civil War - 74.5m

- Bvs - 74.6m

- Deadpool - 92.9m

- Apocalypse - 30.4m

Dat Academy-Award-winning powah.

(and no, I don't enjoy saying that)

• Like 4

Just now, Barnack said:

But they already did split the sequel of Return of the Jedi in at least 3 already.

They are still splitting movies and spreading them and spinning off them as much as ever (avatar sequel for example, look like as a plan to be split in 4 movies). The particular case of a released and well known book in a franchise not getting split anymore, is a particular case.

They do it in less obvious ways.

The key is to split story arcs without the audience catching on and bailing.

Infinity War 2 got a title change but the movie will probably still deal eith the Infinity War.

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Don't forget that they get inflated and half the time they are paying themselves.  When Disney makes a Star Wars movie, most of the money is in special effects, which are basically done at an in house company they own.  Same thing with the sound and editing.  Same thing with the advertising dollars they pump into their own networks.  

That is a nice rebate, but that is probably not that big, opportunity cost of not playing others ads is still the cost of the ads they play on their own network (same for the VFX work, it still cost a lot and they are doing an other contract instead)

@Cochofles I absolutely loved Wonder Woman. In terms of origin films in the modern era I put it up there with Iron Man. Gal Gadot was absolutely awesome and Patty Jenkins directed the hell out of the movie. The themes were really prevalent to what we are living in today and there was about three or four times during the film that I kind of teared up. And you were right....no man's land is pretty freaking awesome.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

I doubt it

So you're a Captain America fan and you're not going to see a movie he's featured in ? I'd understand not seeing Thor or Guardians but I really don't know too many people who just watched TWS and then CW. 

• Like 4