Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

22 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said about 165 times....but Whedon is coming in to polish, not create.  The scenes he is polishing are scenes that have already been done, he is just making them a little better.  This is straight from Zack and yes it is true that WB offered to delay it until he gets back and he said no.  That's why a competent film maker like Joss was brought in....not to overtake the film but to make it even better than it already is.  

It's coming out in November for sure.

Would you believe Whedon is polishing up pacing and working hands on in the editing process? I honestly believe the way Snyder's films are paced and cut often holds back what he otherwise does well in presenting.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Missed my point but whatever.

Not really I see you are trying to make a point but it really has no weight to it as WW Multiplier will already say it's a better film anyway.

They need to make sure that JL is flawless. My impression and my gut feeling isn't that they are delaying, but they will if they have to. There's precedent for that.

Unless production for JL is worse than what's being reported, it won't be delayed at all. They've done an immense amount of reshoots to make the film better than what Snyder is fully capable of, so WB has made it's bed and will have to sleep in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Unless production for JL is worse than what's being reported, it won't be delayed at all. They've done an immense amount of reshoots to make the film better than what Snyder is fully capable of, so WB has made it's bed and will have to sleep in it too.

Reshoots. Have. NOT. Started. Yet.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Honestly, both movies I saw in theaters last week (WW and Baywatch) would have gone up a full point if they had about 20-30 minutes cut. @Halba is wrong about longer runtimes being better :lol: 

You're not excited for a 3hr Transformers historical epic?

41 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:
I completely understand that, Tele. What I'm saying is that they will make sure that they have everything rolling as smooth as WW. If they don't have it by July, they will delay it, like it happened before. And it's not something that people should blame Snyder/WB for, it's just how real life circumstances might affect this film. Yes it's just a film, but it's also WB's possible biggest card for their shared universe. They will make sure that they get it right. It's obvious how much thought and care was put into WW, not just in the scenes, but the final cut itself. I expect the same from WB/Snyder/Whedon for JL.

Almost every trailer has made the film look average to being tone deaf. Will there be a ton of good will from the love for "Wonder Woman?" Yes. [mod edit]

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I bashed it.  I'm still here.  

You knew it was going to be a hit though despite not liking it. Plus you're not one of the usual suspects.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thelich343 said:

You're not excited for a 3hr Transformers historical epic?

Image result for lil yachty gif

Hell, I've probably watched the trailers for 3 hours considering how often they're attached to movies :lol: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's incredible.  To me, it's the most important scene in the movie.

But you hear about this stuff all the time.  Why do money men, in other words, not the creative ones, seem to stick their nose into the creative side of things?  I guess it's same in sports, right?  Owners telling their GM's what to do when they have no idea how to run a team.  They sign checks, they should just leave it at that.

So thankful Jenkins got to leave it in there.

Money man ?

Ok, you probably don't know what a producer is and what his work entails then.

Also, I still don't know what is the scene you all referring to but in those modern super complex, VFX heavy movies a big set piece can cost from 5-10m to, I don't know 40-45m for the uber crazy and long and epic ones.

This idea that procucers and suits in studios are de facto the enemies of films and filmmakers gotta be the worst, naive and simple narrative movie critics and cinephiles have believed in since the Frères Lumières.

Really shows they know next to nothing about how movies really get made.

Edited by The Futurist

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Money man ?

Also, I still don't know what is the scene you all referring to but in those modern super complex, VFX heavy movies a big set piece can cost from 5-10m to, I don't know 40-45m for the uber crazy and long and epic ones.

I'm not talking about producers.  I'm talking about suits.

Are you really suggesting that I don't know what a producer does?  

Money man ?

This idea that procucers and suits in studios are de facto the enemies of films and filmmakers gotta be the worst, naive and simple narrative movie critics and cinephiles have believed in since the Frères Lumières.

Really shows they know next to nothing about how movies really get made.

Take a chill pill. It's true, studio executives tend to suck and ruin films from time to time. Luckily, Patty Jenkins got to keep the "No Man's Land" scene, because it's one of the best scenes of 2017, for any film.

Using Gitesh's reported numbers for Wonder Woman's weekend:

Thu Previews: $11 million

Friday: $27.2 million

Saturday: $35.2 million (+29.4%)

Sunday: $29.7 million (-15.6%)

----------

TOTAL: $103.1 million

Pretty terrific weekend, I must say. Showing signs of being pretty backloaded at this point. Will be fun to see what Monday's number looks like. 

Best Opening Weekends for Comic Book Films & Share from Previews

Title / Opening Weekend Gross / Share of Opening Weekend from Previews/Midnights

1. Marvel’s The Avengers — 207.4 million (9.0%)
  2. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 191.3 million (14.4%)
  3. Captain America: Civil War — 179.1 million (14.0%)
  4. Iron Man 3 — 174.1 million (9.0%)
  5. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 166.0 million (16.7%)
  6. The Dark Knight Rises — 160.9 million (19.0%)
  7. The Dark Knight — 158.4 million (11.7%)
  8. Spider-Man 3 — 151.1 million (6.6%)
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 — 146.4 million (11.6%)
  10. Suicide Squad — 133.7 million (15.3%)
  11. Deadpool — 132.4 million (9.6%)
  12. Iron Man 2 — 128.1 million (5.9%)
  13. Man of Steel — 116.6 million (7.7%)
  14. Spider-Man — 114.8 million (6.1%)
  15. Wonder Woman — 103.1 million (10.7%)
  16. X-Men: The Last Stand — 102.8 million (5.7%)
  17. Iron Man — 98.6 million (5.1%)
  18. Captain America: The Winter Soldier — 95.0 million (10.7%)
  19. Guardians of the Galaxy — 94.3 million (11.9%)
  20. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 — 91.6 million (9.5%)
  21. X-Men: Days of Future Past — 90.8 million (8.9%)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not talking about producers.  I'm talking about suits.

Are you really suggesting that I don't know what a producer does?  

Sometimes the line between the two is thin & blurry I suppose, depending on the movie.

Also props to baumer, Tele and others who were insistent that Wonder Woman's Sunday drop was being overestimated and that it's overall weekend gross would be closer to $103 million. I didn't think it would end up dropping this superbly on the Sunday. Well done.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2