Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 hour ago, God Emperor Tele said:

No worries, you're new, you don't know all the ins and outs of how we do things. The Review thread also offers a poll where you can give the movie a grade, if you want. 

I'll take his punishment. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

They didn't hold. Gitesh is reporting both Friday/Saturday are down around $600,000 each.

FRI - $38.2m

SAT - $35.2m

SUN - $29.7m

Only $500k less than Suicide Squad's Sunday, despite the massive discrepancy in opening day.

I actually would give the film a very good chance at beating Suicide Squad at this point. The game last night had higher ratings than last year despite being a bit of a blowout, so this hold is really quite fantastic. Wonder Woman has great WOM and just had a very strong Sunday hold, a combination that is usually a precursor to a great Monday as well. Unlike The Avengers, it will have summer weekdays right out of the gate. I say a 3.2 multiplier for ~$330M, or let's say $331M for the highest grossing DCEU film. ;) 

Edited by Biggestgeekever
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, miketheavenger said:

CBMs (or any blockbusters for that matter) have an incredibly hard time reaching a 3x. A movie which I think is a solid comparison is Doctor Strange. That opened lower than WW, also had excellent word-of-mouth and had the holidays to help legs and still "only" managed a 2.75x. I don't see why WW would do much better. Also, competition may not be brutal, but it's far from weak. The Mummy is not really a threat, but Cars 3 will take away families, Transformers 5 will take away theaters (even if it doesn't do too well), Despicable Me 3 will take away more families and July looks quite competitive as a whole. I think it's gonna hold up much better than the other DCEU films because WOM is clearly great, but for the above reasons I think MoS numbers are the absolute high end. Again, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but I'm just not feeling a 3x.

But you are failing to consider the broader market...Wonder Woman will keep screens and showings longer b/c of what the market has, just like Beauty and the Beast did.  Think how long that movie had a ridiculous number of theaters - it had 7 weeks with over 3000 theaters.  While newer movies than B&TB lost theaters, this one didn't...why?  Yes, it was doing really well, but it also was the one of only draws for a certain part of the market.  When Cars 3 comes out, WW won't be losing theaters - it will be GOTG 2 or Pirates or Aliens or Wimpy or Captain Underpants who will be giving them away b/c these are all focused on the same market - mainly male-focused - so they cannibalize each other.  And when Transformers and Spiderman open, expect more of the same.  It's not a normal superhero movie b/c it's a true 4 quadrant, and in a summer with few movies for 2 of those quadrants (and almost none for a majority of one of those quadrants, the under 18 female in the under 25 female group), it has a chance to hit Father's Day weekend and just leg out, over and over again...

PS - And I expect little girls being Wonder Woman will be the #1 costume for little girls this year:)...even over more Minions, since that's been done...but that's off topic...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

You can't really do a kind of last minute "Oh, the critics really like it! Here's another $50mil in promo money, quick!" campaign like you seem to be implying. Booking time with outlets, making promotional material, etc. takes months of work in advance.

There was a marketing conference with a panel featuring the head of WB's marketing and she was describing how they used new ideas and principles with the Suicide Squad marketing to hit target awareness numbers months ahead of schedule and they were doing much of that with Wonder Woman. WB really is just efficent with their marketing these days.

I'm not really saying there was like an extra 50 million dollars being thrown in for the promotion. I'm just saying that the marketing went insane after the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy", and then the critics gave the film rave reviews, which gave WB some extra motivation to push hard for the marketing.

Two months before "The Force Awakens" came out, that film was everywhere with it's marketing. Same goes for BVS and "Suicide Squad."

With "Wonder Woman", it just wasn't like that. And maybe it's because it's a solo film, or maybe WB didn't feel confident enough with the film itself and hoping the critics wouldn't be too harsh. And then once the critics gave the film an overwhelmingly positive response, WB was like, "Now we got a real hit, let's push the marketing even more." Because before I knew it, the marketing was everywhere for "Wonder Woman", a good two weeks before it was finally released.

I think WB got very lucky with the critics this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

I'm not really saying there was like an extra 50 million dollars being thrown in for the promotion. I'm just saying that the marketing went insane after the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy", and then the critics gave the film rave reviews, which gave WB some extra motivation to push hard for the marketing.

Two months before "The Force Awakens" came out, that film was everywhere with it's marketing. Same goes for BVS and "Suicide Squad."

With "Wonder Woman", it just wasn't like that. And maybe it's because it's a solo film, or maybe WB didn't feel confident enough with the film itself and hoping the critics wouldn't be too harsh. And then once the critics gave the film an overwhelmingly positive response, WB was like, "Now we got a real hit, let's push the marketing even more." Because before I knew it, the marketing was everywhere for "Wonder Woman", a good two weeks before it was finally released.

I think you want to get banned.

Just saying. :D 

SLIGHTLY BETTER FOR CU,

GOTG2 HELD BETTER WITH ACTUALS: -53%, HOPEFULLY IT WILL HAVE A BETTER HOLD NEXT WEEKEND!!

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 new Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $103,251,471   4,165 $24,790   $103,251,471 3
2 new Captain Underpants: The Fir… 20th Century Fox $23,851,539   3,434 $6,946   $23,851,539 3
3 (1) Pirates of the Caribbean: D… Walt Disney $22,087,099 -65% 4,276 $5,165   $115,095,870 10
4 (2) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Walt Disney $9,839,370 -53% 3,507 $2,806   $355,580,702 31
5 (3) Baywatch Paramount Pictures $8,741,285 -53% 3,647 $2,397   $41,965,723 11
7 (5) Everything, Everything Warner Bros. $3,286,343 -45% 2,375 $1,384   $28,282,953 17
8 (7) Snatched 20th Century Fox $1,318,582 -67% 1,625 $811   $43,846,996 24
9 (6) Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The L… 20th Century Fox $1,289,793 -71% 2,088 $618   $17,894,397 17
10 (8) King Arthur: Legend of the … Warner Bros. $1,137,045 -66% 1,222 $930   $37,176,629 24
11 (11) Beauty and the Beast Walt Disney $658,056 -55% 527 $1,249   $502,136,527 80
12 (9) The Boss Baby 20th Century Fox $621,139 -64% 684 $908   $170,921,703 66

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 5

Here is something interesting guys

Logan preview to OD multi - 3.47

WW preview to OD multi    - 3.47

DS preview to OD multi    - 3.47

Logan OD to OW multi - 2.67

WW OD to OW multi    - 2.7

DS OD to OW multi    - 2.61

Logan RT/Avg/user avg - 93/7.9/4.4

WW RT/Avg/user avg - 93/7.6/4.5

WW RT/Avg/user avg - 90/7.3/4.1

Logan legs - 2.56

DS legs - 2.74

WW legs - ?????

WW has mirrored Logan almost perfectly till now not only critically but box office multiplier wise as well. WW will get to 264m dom if it has the same legs as Logan. 

Now Logan had to contend with Kong in 2nd week, Batb in 3rd, PR in 4th, BB in 5th. 

WW has to contend with Mummy in 2nd week, Cars 3 in 3rd, TF5 in 3rd, DM3 in 4th, SM:HC in 5th

Logan had to contend with lot higher and better competition than WW will have to. That bodes well for its initial and middle leg. But WW will have to contend with Spiderman which is direct competition which Logan did not have to face. That does not bode well for its late legs. Remember Gotg2 was barelling towards 395-400 blowing all competitions until it faced direct competition in form of WW which really affected its late legs.

So I do not agree with those saying 3x legs are more likely than not. 3x legs are very difficult for SH movies.

I don"t think WW will have Logan's legs. I think it will have Doctor Strange's legs or maybe slightly better for a 280 +/- 10m finish

• Like 2

POTC makes it to 22.1 and even though that's behind APOC's 22.825, competition mattered this weekend.

Hoping next weekend Pirates manages 10.5 (APOC was 9.9).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Like I said before, marketing doesn't work like that. Studios plan out marketing decisions long before hand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's odd that the last guaranteed $50M+ opener of the summer is War for the Planet of the Apes on July 14, especially after Suicide Squad opened to $133M last early August. Hopefully there are a handful of surprises in those remaining few weeks before school goes back in session.

August looks terrible. I really think some of those March movies should have been there instead. All were geared like summer blockbusters anyway.

But the gates are wide open for IT that next month if it actually ends up pleasing people and being good. I bet WB is going to go all in on marketing that.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians Vol. 2 only dipping 53% following the inflated holiday weekend with Wonder Woman breaking out to $103M+ is decently impressive, no? Nothing spectacular but not bad.

I wonder, so to speak, if some theaters were like the one here that underestimated the demand because Saturday all showings of WW were sold out and I noticed a couple showings of GOTG2 were sold out (as well as Pirates 5) around the times WW had sold out showtimes.

Just now, somebody85 said:

Good chance he won't have to wait long if The Batman turns out solid....and Snyder stays as far away as possible.

Snyder is done in the DCEU. The Batman is all going to be on Matt Reeves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians Vol. 2 only dipping 53% following the inflated holiday weekend with Wonder Woman breaking out to $103M+ is decently impressive, no? Nothing spectacular but not bad.

There was a poster here, forget which one, who said it would fall 60% for the weekend.  I said 55% max.  I haven't seen this poster here lately.

Marketing really got going for WW once we got to May, which makes sense with a month to go before the movie came out. Making comparisons to Force Awakens marketing, well, it's a brand new Star Wars movie. Of course you are going to be seeing more marketing for it further out from release. People had been itching for brand new SW for a long time, set years after the events of the original trilogy. Just not really a fair comparison to make. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheMovieman said:

Snyder is done in the DCEU. The Batman is all going to be on Matt Reeves.

Is he? Only knew about the sad JL stuff. 

I know Ben dropped out as the director but can't see him not having a huge influence on whoever does do it (I didn't know Reeves was chosen).