Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, baumer said:

There was a poster here, forget which one, who said it would fall 60% for the weekend.  I said 55% max.  I haven't seen this poster here lately.

I recall you saying that and I agreed with it. Seems like the superhero flicks this blockbuster season are getting some fine WOM. Wonder Woman's will be even better than Guardians Vol. 2's WOM, which is showing to pretty damn good. Hopefully Spidey continues the trend in a month here! More fun for all of us box office loons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Good chance he won't have to wait long if The Batman turns out solid....and Snyder stays as far away as possible.

Yeah that damn Snyder certainly ruined WW. 

Ben will get his turn to shine, though most already see him as a great Batman, him and the director of the Apes trilogy? Going to be an amazing Batman movie. Then that dumbass picture will be retired. 

2 minutes ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Ben will get his great comic book movie. Reeves won't let Batman down. 

I already think he did get a great comic book movie, in my opinion, but Reeves will do exceptionally well too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BeastByTheBay said:

Like I said before, marketing doesn't work like that. Studios plan out marketing decisions long before hand. 

They still have some malleability, maybe not on obvious title like a SH movie, but greenlight, budgeted and actual spending on marketing can be significantly different (sometime by 15%), but that could be just true for smaller title that make a lot of decision by how well they test.

22 jump street for example was greenlight with 30 m in marketing domestic for theatrical in mind and end up spending 34.

This is the end had 35.2 m budgeted beginning of the year and end up spending 40.76m, they are probably adjusting themselve with tracking and rewarding people with more marketing when the movie test better than expected, I doubt studio plan well in advance that Hidden figures would get one of the biggest domestic marketing spending of the year for them.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, DealWithIt said:

Ben will get his turn to shine, though most already see him as a great Batman, him and the director of the Apes trilogy? Going to be an amazing Batman movie. Then that dumbass picture will be retired. 

:kitschjob:

Sarcasm?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

I'm not really saying there was like an extra 50 million dollars being thrown in for the promotion. I'm just saying that the marketing went insane after the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy", and then the critics gave the film rave reviews, which gave WB some extra motivation to push hard for the marketing.

Two months before "The Force Awakens" came out, that film was everywhere with it's marketing. Same goes for BVS and "Suicide Squad."

With "Wonder Woman", it just wasn't like that. And maybe it's because it's a solo film, or maybe WB didn't feel confident enough with the film itself and hoping the critics wouldn't be too harsh. And then once the critics gave the film an overwhelmingly positive response, WB was like, "Now we got a real hit, let's push the marketing even more." Because before I knew it, the marketing was everywhere for "Wonder Woman", a good two weeks before it was finally released.

I think WB got very lucky with the critics this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh I wouldn't say they got lucky. The film had a lot of pre screenings as most big releases do.

The film I would compare it to the most as far as marketing would be Kong: Skull Island (another WB product). Both had a great final trailer released only a few weeks before opening to really increase buzz and set the marketing machine into motion.

So many here weren't expecting Kong to do what it did.

27 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

I'm not really saying there was like an extra 50 million dollars being thrown in for the promotion. I'm just saying that the marketing went insane after the release of "Guardians of the Galaxy", and then the critics gave the film rave reviews, which gave WB some extra motivation to push hard for the marketing.

Two months before "The Force Awakens" came out, that film was everywhere with it's marketing. Same goes for BVS and "Suicide Squad."

With "Wonder Woman", it just wasn't like that. And maybe it's because it's a solo film, or maybe WB didn't feel confident enough with the film itself and hoping the critics wouldn't be too harsh. And then once the critics gave the film an overwhelmingly positive response, WB was like, "Now we got a real hit, let's push the marketing even more." Because before I knew it, the marketing was everywhere for "Wonder Woman", a good two weeks before it was finally released.

I think WB got very lucky with the critics this time.

And as I said above, that kind of "Holy crap! This is going to be big! Push harder!" marketing doesn't happen. Marketing campaigns are planned out for months if not years in advance. Booking outlets to run ads, organizing promotional partners, creating material and trailers and the like take months of planning and preparation. If you're seeing a strong push at a certain time and at certain locations then that was planned from the outset. Additionally the target audiences for a particular product responds differently due to different methods of advertising. You also need to be selective about where you do your primary marketing push to reach your desired demos.

If for some reason you still don't believe me, watch this video, which came out a couple of weeks before the primary push occurred. This is Kristin O'Hara, the chief marketing officer for Time Warner talking at a marketing conference about the promotional strategy for Wonder Woman that started two years ago. In it she talks about how the long, mid-sized promotional campaign for Supergirl allowed them to get great data about female superhero fans and how they found that having small moments over a long period of time allowed them to very effectively market Supergirl and Wonder Woman as opposed to the kind of months long media carpet bombing that you're complaining about the movie missing.

https://streamable.com/zdri0

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They still have some malleability, maybe not on obvious title like a SH movie, but greenlight, budgeted and actual spending on marketing can be significantly different (sometime by 15%), but that could be just true for smaller title that make a lot of decision by how well they test.

22 jump street for example was greenlight with 30 m in marketing domestic for theatrical in mind and end up spending 34.

This is the end had 35.2 m budgeted beginning of the year and end up spending 40.76m, they are probably adjusting themselve with tracking and rewarding people with more marketing when the movie test better than expected, I doubt studio plan well in advance that Hidden figures would get one of the biggest domestic marketing spending of the year for them.

I assume something like It will have a marketing spend that is the same if not more than it's budget

3 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Oh no, not saying he did but the aspects that people have criticized the most from WW (the overuse of slo mo and the 3rd act seem like they were from Snyders vision). The colors worked here because of the setting (as far as WW1 and London) but some also wanted it to be brighter (I didn't notice or have a problem with it).

Hopefully DC movies will be as colorful as that island going forward.

Beyond the usual MCU v. DCEU debates we see here often... As I hoped, so far, Guardians Vol. 2, Wonder Woman and, I very much believe, Spider-man Homecoming have enough breathing room between one another and offer different strokes/visions to audiences to co-exist and thrive. Guardians with it's cosmic setting, Wonder Woman being period/WWI setting and Spidey being a present day high school/NYC setting is a great variety. All of 'em seem to be telling very different stories thematically as well. I really like the way things have played out so far for the mega-budget superheroes this blockbuster season. I know many, many here aren't very bullish on Spidey being it's another reboot in short frame of time. But, I am bullish on it. I think the marketing's great... Especially the inclusion of Iron Man as a flawed, well-meaning mentor. And, of the three, it's easily appears the most family/teen/kid friendly which should really boost it's OW and July weekdays.

Guardian's has already done it. But, here's to hoping Wonder Woman and Spidey score a $350M+ DOM this summer as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 4

Just now, Jonwo said:

I assume something like It will have a marketing spend that is the same if not more than it's budget

Probably, with the kind of wide release it will get, mid range horror movie that get wide tend to spend more on marketing than production.

For examples:

Evil dead:

Budget: 17.25m

Marketing cost: 36.7 m

Deliver us from evil:

Budget: 34.3

Marketing: 50.13m

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Oh no, not saying he did but the aspects that people have criticized the most from WW (the overuse of slo mo and the 3rd act seem like they were from Snyders vision). The colors worked here because of the setting (as far as WW1 and London) but some also wanted it to be brighter (I didn't notice or have a problem with it).

Hopefully DC movies will be as colorful as that island going forward.

So Snyder is responsible for the slo-mo and 3rd act???

this is ludicrous.

This is typical hate train.

As he has never used SLO-mo in any of his Dceu films (yet).

• Like 4

It seems like so many people were rooting on Wonder Woman to fail for some bizarre reason so it's nice that it's got good reviews and box office numbers. Happy with that 103mil number.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It seems like so many people were rooting on Wonder Woman to fail for some bizarre reason so it's nice that it's got good reviews and box office numbers. Happy with that 103mil number.

It does?

27 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Is he? Only knew about the sad JL stuff. 

I know Ben dropped out as the director but can't see him not having a huge influence on whoever does do it (I didn't know Reeves was chosen).

I think other than being a producer (likely in name only) on Aquaman, it's highly doubtful he'll be involved anymore. As for The Batman, I'd be surprised if Reeves didn't have nearly complete control.

Just now, TheMovieman said:

I think other than being a producer (likely in name only) on Aquaman, it's highly doubtful he'll be involved anymore. As for The Batman, I'd be surprised if Reeves didn't have nearly complete control.

Not that it's a power struggle or anything (most of the time it isn't), but no one gets "nearly complete control" unless your name is Spielberg, Cameron, Bay, Nolan, or (maybe) Jackson. Kathleen Kennedy and her story group are the ultimate arbiters for Star Wars, Feige and his group for Marvel, Geoff Johns/the Snyders/others for WB/DC, etc.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It does?

There were a lot of outlets reporting that 65 million tracking number as if it were something that was set in stone and deeming the movie of failure before it came out.

• Like 2