Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Superhero maybe not, but Transformers was years before, and its set pieces were at least on par.

I was gonna say exactly that, the only guy who was pushing the envelope hard as far as epic VFX heavy action set pieces was Bay with the TF franchise and Avengers was clearly of that ilk scale & spectacle wise.

I dunno at the time, Avengers felt super epic to me and got out of the theater in awe.

That s what I wanted to see in a superhero film , see the chacaters do superhero shit.

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

@Last Man Standing

That's the scene I had in mind as well (the one with Iron Man) There's also lots of great scenes with the Hulk or Thor in that final battle scene. 

That thing became generic and "same-y" once everyone started copying The Aveners blueprint, including their own sequel. 

Yeah, didn't really mean to drag this into a mutli-page discussion, but when I've heard The Avengers being referred to as groundbreaking before it was always because of the team up element. I agree with you that it was a good "hero shot" for sure, even if I don't think it was really groundbreaking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah, didn't really mean to drag this into a mutli-page discussion, but when I've heard The Avengers being referred to as groundbreaking before it was always because of the team up element. I agree with you that it was a good "hero shot" for sure, even if I don't think it was really groundbreaking.

Maybe the effects (from a technical POV) in The Avengers did not go any further than where Transformers took them, but it was something new in terms of bringing that technology into the SH fold. 

Wait, are we talking about that shot where they're in a circle and the camera self-consciously spins round them all?

I always assumed that was just an exec decision foisted upon Whedon so there'd be a convenient trailer shot. I recall it really sticking out from the flow of action.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Wonder Woman felt almost like Captain America the First Avenger

from the setting, the plot, the journey, the love story, even down to the film's ending. C'mon 2 people named Steve on a plane, I'll just leave it at that. But I think WW did it just a bit better.

Patty Jenkins could've made a real nice Cap movie too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Wonder Woman felt almost like Captain America the First Avenger from the setting... C'mon 2 people named Steve on a plane, I'll just leave it at that.

You're not exactly the first to notice this... Also, careful of spoilers.

And it is actually completely different, like Chris Pine explained on SNL:

f25455df28129fab6a51976b71ccda0c.jpg

Edited by MrGlass2

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Wait, are we talking about that shot where they're in a circle and the camera self-consciously spins round them all?

I always assumed that was just an exec decision foisted upon Whedon so there'd be a convenient trailer shot. I recall it really sticking out from the flow of action.

No, no. The one through tracking shot that goes to every Avenger while they're battling. 

It begins with Black Widow and ends with Iron Man.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

No, no. The one through tracking shot that goes to every Avenger while they're battling. 

It begins with Black Widow and ends with Iron Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZsEwUuBjio

Behind the Magic: "Marvel's The Avengers" - Anatomy of a Shot

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

My top 5

1- Wonder Woman

2-Superman The Movie

3-Spider-Man 2

4-Doctor Strange

5-Ant-Man

Honorable mentions in no order: X-men, Spider-Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Man of Steel, Superman 2

Eagerly anticipating: Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Gotham Sirens, Justice League

• Like 2

Since we are giving top 5 for CBMs, I'm giving a top 10:

1.) Logan

2.) The Dark Knight

3.) Spider-Man 2

4.) Winter Solider

5.) The Avengers/Guardians of The Galaxy Volume 2

6.) Batman Begins

7.) Iron Man

8.) Deadpool

9.) Guardians 1

10.) X-Men: Days of Future Past

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jordanstine said:

Wonder Woman felt almost like Captain America the First Avenger

from the setting, the plot, the journey, the love story, even down to the film's ending. C'mon 2 people named Steve on a plane, I'll just leave it at that. But I think WW did it just a bit better.

Patty Jenkins could've made a real nice Cap movie too.

This isn't a spoiler is it... god damn it if it is, I've done such a good job going into this thing blind today.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

My top 5:

Blade 

Logan

Batman 89 

Winter Soldier 

Superman the Movie 

Honorable mention: Deadpool, The Avengers

i watch Wonder Woman in 7 hours.

Winter Soldier on top 5 is goodness :sparta: Best Marvel movie by a wide margin

• Like 2