YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

15 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

After disappointing (some) persons on OW, Wonder Woman is on track to become the biggest story of Summer, and I couldn't be happier. :cloud9:

I think it already was the biggest story as soon as it opened to over 100m with such great critical reception. This is gravy time.

1 minute ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Movietickets

Yesterday 11:28 am PST 

Wonder Woman - 50,3

Mummy - 15,5 

Now

Wonder Woman - 53,2

Mummy - 13,1

-25% Sunday for Mummy- it's a BULLSHIT

Yeah I think WW will be close to or over $58M with actuals.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

300 Million is not that good for "The Mummy" given it was supposed to be a big launch for the Universal Monster Dark Universe. Uni  might make a modest profit on it..depends on how much they spend on marketing.....(Universal is giving 125 Million as the production budget...and Would be amazed if Marketing did not add at least another 50 Million to the cost, although it is carried on a separate budget) given that Universal will only get roughly half the box office revenues.

And people are wildly over predicting the Animated Spidey movie. Spidey is Peter Parker for 90% of the audience out there, and I think they will probably reject any other version.

And Miles Morales was not very successful in the comics;it was widley seen as a cynical stunt to grab the minority audiences.

Not sure what you mean exactly by that, but I doubt that P&A for studios movie are on separate budget or what that would change. It is a no brainer that more than 50 million will be spent on a major world released movie on marketing.

To give an idea the studio building and is employee are not even completely carried on a separate budget but amortized among the movie made on the movie slate, not putting the marketing expenditure in a movie cost would make people with participation bonus after profit start to make their bonus way too soon.

The average marketing cost of big studio movies (budget above 60m) is around 100 milliion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Pretty sure Mulan's getting moved back, there's been little to no word on it moving forward and it doesn't even have a cast yet.

I don't. Considering it will be low on special effects and not a musical they can start filming  February of next year and still make the due date without rushing.

DC movies seriously needs to build their overseas reputation. Most big hollywood blockbusters do pretty damn well internationally, I'm not saying WW isn't doing well but it could do alot better. If you look at Marvel 1st movies of their franchise especially Doc Strange and GoTG1 they both made 440M+ OS. Even Ant-Man did 340M OS. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, James said:

We know that WB will put WW front and center for JL, but what I wonder is if, seeing the reception BP received, they will put Cyborg next to Wondy. It would be smart of them to capitalize on it. 

This has already been done in the JL trailer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

DC movies seriously needs to build their overseas reputation. Most big hollywood blockbusters do pretty damn well internationally, I'm not saying WW isn't doing well but it could do alot better. If you look at Marvel 1st movies of their franchise especially Doc Strange and GoTG1 they both made 440M+ OS. Even Ant-Man did 340M OS. 

They are decent hits overseas but I believe JL will break the trend of Sub 600mil gross.

Edited by Brainiac5

5 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20455-franchise-wars-marvel-vs-dc-vs-star-wars-vs-etc-wiliam-hurt-returns-as-general-thaddeus-thunderbolt-ross/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Disney seems confident it is a much better movie than the last one.  I think with the complete lack of kids programming it can get to a $50m+ opening.  

Everything I'm seeing seems to be pretty good for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Don't know why you would think this since BvS made $542.9mil and SS made $420.5mil. It's pretty clear WW's international performance is hindered by the role of the female lead, which reduces the overall prospects for most international markets. And even then it's performing respectably, just not breaking out.

• Like 3

Man of steel:Adjusted 307

Dawn of Justice:330

Suicide Squad:325

Wonder Woman:325+

I wonder if this is a steady fanbase for the Supposedly "Dead" Dceu and if any of their films will ever go below 300dom(except MoS which gets a pass at 291).

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 2

I just wanna say, you know what I enjoy about characters like Wonder Woman and Rey, and why audiences are connecting with these characters in unprecedented fashion as well?

No spoilers for WW (except if you've been actively avoiding trailers)

You see, both of these characters, at first glance, kick a lot more ass than what their appearance leads us to believe, and that's a very important point. There's this apparent vulnerability to both of them, which, when revealed to be wrong (or partly wrong), is part of their character's charm. They look quite ordinary, at least as far as physical capabilities go. I know, I know, Wonder Woman is incredibly pretty, but that doesn't mean she looks threatening. In fact, it's a central component of Wonder Woman's character that she gets dismissed or underestimated for being a woman at every turn, and yet, she can deflect bullets and level buildings. Appearances can be deceptive indeed. As for Rey, she's got the Force, so sort of the same thing here. She's deceptively strong and, post-training, she could probably overpower just about anyone short of other Force users, even though she looks like a normal girl. So in the case of both of these characters, there's something more than what meets the eye at first glance. Naturally, there's more to it than that, but it's part of their appeal. They're special, and in an interesting way -- an unexpected way.

Not that it can't happen with men (does Gandalf look threatening...?), but the fact that they're women is actually important to their character, because it serves as a basis of expectations vs reality, and filmmakers can play on those expectations very well. They're simultaneously bad-ass and very much grounded in reality because of gender expectations. 

Now on the opposite side of the spectrum you have women who look like they could kick your ass, and would most likely kick your ass. Think Charlize Theron in Mad Max, Famke Jansen in Goldeneye, Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2... Now the key here is that there's nothing deceptive about them (you know, like the fact they don't have superpowers), and that makes them compelling because you don't doubt for one second their capacity, and they've worked hard for it in a male-centric world. The few who don't respect that... let's just say that generally it doesn't end well for them. They're equally as interesting precisely because of what they overcame to get there.

For all of those characters above, and those similar to them, the fact that they're women is an integral part of their character, while also not limiting them in any way, and I very much enjoy that. 

Somewhere right in the middle you would have an ordinary woman which the story would follow. Basically, she's just someone who happens to be a woman. She may or may not perform heroic deeds, may or may not fall in love, as would anyone normal would in their situation. She could mess up. If there's one place to look to find examples here, it's in horror movies. Ripley from the first Alien would probably be the best example of this, as would Rose from Silent Hill, and pretty much every horror movie out there with an ordinary female protagonist.

They're interesting characters as well, obviously. They represent us, they represent, well, everyone, and half of the planet are women anyway, so they better damn well be represented not only in normal situations, but in fantasy/sci-fi situations as well, which is why I like Wonder Woman and TFA for what they did, they had a female lead in roles typically reserved for men and made it work spectacularly well.

I just hope that studios will draw the right conclusions from the success of Wonder Woman.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that we want to see interesting characters, regardless of their gender...

Male-led movies with boring leads are equally uninteresting anyway. :redcapes:

...oh boy that became quite the wall of text :ph34r:

Edited by Daxtreme
Added Emily Blunt -- obviously
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

Don't know why you would think this since BvS made $542.9mil and SS made $420.5mil. It's pretty clear WW's international performance is hindered by the role of the female lead, which reduces the overall prospects for most international markets. And even then it's performing respectably, just not breaking out.

SS made 420M without a China release as well.

Anyway, great hold for WW, bordering on ridiculous. Fully expect it to rise a bit with actuals as well, maybe up to 58.5M possibly. Beating BvS is definitely the target, the big test will be the hold over TF5 weekend as it will lose most PLF screens that weekend.

Covfefe finally managing a sub-60 hold (barely), critics and audiences just did not agree on it at all. Think the franchise goes into hibernation now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

DC movies seriously needs to build their overseas reputation. Most big hollywood blockbusters do pretty damn well internationally, I'm not saying WW isn't doing well but it could do alot better. If you look at Marvel 1st movies of their franchise especially Doc Strange and GoTG1 they both made 440M+ OS. 

DC movies seriously needs to build their China reputation. That's more right sentence.

13 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Even Ant-Man did 340M OS

And 105 mln came from China. 30+%. That's the point.

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Now on the opposite side of the spectrum you have women who look like they could kick your ass, and would most likely kick your ass. Think Charlize Theron in Mad Max, Famke Jansen in Goldeneye, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2...

Add "Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow" and my like is yours! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

June 2018 could have a potential three $300M+ grossers (Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World 2), which would be a first for a single month since the threequel battle of May 2007.

400 M for each of them would be sweet.

39 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I predicted 43%. I am the only one that close.:D:D

I think I originally went with 42% but I thought "No way a comic book movie drops less than 50% these days", so I slightly bumped it.

56 minutes ago, James said:

Talking about Dark Phoenix, it is probably my most anticipated CBM ever (I wasn't following movies back when The Last Stand came out). That ark is brilliant. The only thing I am hoping for is Fassbender coming back, since he is pretty much my favorite actor working today and Magneto is the best comic book character of all time.

They should do the Shi'ar Empire after it.

• Like 1