WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

1 minute ago, The Mummified Panda said:

I liked GOTG2 and it's an upper level Marvel movie for me, I just used it because it's recent and popular.  

Its not going to be a movie people 10-15 years from now really look back on.

We will remember it simply because we'll all do a rewatch before seeing the ninth one.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Aside from me disagreeing about the entertainment part of it, I... disagree with the rest of it too. :) 

And here's the rest of the hot take you wanted... :lol: 

Spoilerized cuz really, who wants to read a nasty rant about some kid's movie?

Reveal hidden contents

The more you rant the more I want to see it. Sounds like a special kind of bad. Keep it coming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Aside from me disagreeing about the entertainment part of it, I... disagree with the rest of it too. :) 

Reveal hidden contents

I don't even wanna attempt to respond to that essay :bourne::insane::sarah:

• Like 1

Just now, The Mummified Panda said:

I liked GOTG2 and it's an upper level Marvel movie for me, I just used it because it's recent and popular.  

Its not going to be a movie people 10-15 years from now really look back on.

it's the batman returns of their universe imo, not w/ tone just in its singularity. the marvel franchise is never gonna end and people in the know who agree with me (coincidentally people who agree with me i usually find to be pretty smart) are gonna keep it near the top of the marvel lists they do 3 times annually. 

• Like 6

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's the batman returns of their universe imo, not w/ tone just in its singularity. the marvel franchise is never gonna end and people in the know who agree with me (coincidentally people who agree with me i usually find to be pretty smart) are gonna keep it near the top of the marvel lists they do 3 times annually. 

thanks boss

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Hide contents

There's a colossal emptiness to CU -- not just it, other general media aimed at kids these days. The characters in it aren't kids but aren't adults either, they're a weird amalgamation of the two that feels strange and flat. There is a basic level of "cleverness" there -- aimed at distracting the adults, btw; it flies right over the heads of its main target demo -- but the cleverness is the visual equivalent of dumping bags of Pixy Stix down your throat. Empty calories of nonsense. The thing is astonishingly vapid even taken on its own level. Even though it's not some corporatized product, the sad and deadening thing is that it feels like it regardless, as if a thousand empty suits processed an algorithm that calculated what they felt a generically average 5-7 year-old would want and then made nothing but that whatsoever. And on some basic level for them, sure, it works. Kids are easily distracted by bright visuals and noise and they like poopy jokes as much as they like anything. But it sure doesn't stick, and the thought of such talent and effort being used to literally crank out shit is terribly bleak and dismal.

I really like Pixy Stix.  (CU doesn't sound attractive, however.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I remember the story of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Do I think about it? Sure. Not every movie needs to challenge audiences. In fact, many successful classics don't really do any challenging at all. What's challenging about freaking Casablanca? :lol:

I'll ignore the whole theme park bit because I'd argue that if a movie trying to give an experience to the movie-goer is a bad thing, then Gravity and The Walk and many other movies which were sold on being cinematic experiences you had to see on theater were shit.

I'm not saying movies with spectacle are necessarily bad.  And there's more to a movie having depth than just having heavy themes and such.

But I really think Marvel's the best example of this.  They continually make the same movie but just twist it a little and call it different.  They're entertaining to go and watch, but they're really devoid of artistry, and they're films you really have a hard time telling apart when you look back on them.

This isn't really new, every decade has generic movies that are just trend and formula following.  And the same idea applies to other art mediums.

Anyways, it's just some thoughts.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Reveal hidden contents

What does this make Lab Rats?

• Like 5