WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

Best Animated Movies of 2010s (so far):

1.) The Lego Movie

2.) Zootopia/Inside Out

3.) Kubo

4.) Rango

5.) Wreck It Ralph

6.) The Wind Rises

7.) How To Train Your Dragon

8.) Paranorman

9.) Kung Fu Panda 2

10.) Shaun The Sheep Movie/Toy Story 3

Honodable Mentions in no particular order: The Lego Batman Movie, Frankenweenie, Despicable Me, Captain Underpants, Dragon 2, Song of The Sea, Moana, Rio, Book of Life, Winnie The Pooh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Hmm, this might be an Ethan take I actually almost agree with.

Inside Out, Tintin, and Lego Movie are better, but other than that you're pretty right :ph34r: 

None of those movie come close to the waterfall of tears that Rango turns me into every time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm obviously biased but it was seriously a cut above the other stuff on DXD. :lol: Sure it was broad and a lot of the jokes were obvious if you're an adult but there was an underlying sweetness to the whole thing and a very specific angle of using the bionic goofy stuff to illustrate the process of growing up. And every so often you'd get a joke that even old grouchy grown ups could laugh at. 

So there. :rofl: 

To be fair, it's easily my favorite live-action show on Disney XD. 

Spoiler

Which isn't saying much, though. :ph34r:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I still think it's a good example. If you as a modern audience member who was not alive when it first came out saw it and agreed it's an amazing classic, you are not being challenged now. :)

I guess, but we tend to project ourself a bit and experience a bit the challenge they proposed to them, to place ourself in the audience mind of the time (or the they are still sleeping in New-York scene make no sense).

Same for the sentence We'll Always Have Paris, it is so powerful because it was said by someone during Vichy france when Paris was under German military zone and it was not sure at all that it would be the case and we imagine ourself what the experience of seeing that in theater in 1942/1943 could have been, same for when real WW2 refugees hired as extra sing La Marseillaise over the Germans and started to naturally cry during the shooting of the scene.

Still you are right, I'm not sure challenging is the right word (at least not for you and me, but for someone that is isolationist now, that the West should just stay out of the middle east type of position it could be).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Miiiiiight have seen it. Dunno.

The only info you need about his character 

He used to be Augustus Gloop before apparently changing both his name and his gluttonous personality for the better, though he still has nightmares about being sucked up into the chocolate tube in Wonka's factory.[1]

There's been some wickedly good animated movies to come out this decade. Inside out, Lego Movie, zootopia, how to train your dragon 1&2, frozen, Moana, WIR, Dory, BH6. But I gotta go with IO bc of how impactful it was. Have not seen Kubo. 

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Ethan...I love Rango and all, but how is it more emotional than Inside Out.

Rango is A brilliant depiction of self worth. Much more subtle about it than Inside Out 

“Who am I? I'm nobody" destroys me. Absolutely destroys me

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

Going to go against the grain but I thought Wall-E was super preachy and rubbed me the wrong way with how anti-human its story was. Turning humans into fat greasy slobs. It is one of the most overrated Pixar movies. It was also so boring with this generic love story going on you could give two shits about.

I agreed on 1st viewing and still do to a point...but it's 1st 30 minutes are magic, and it is not entirely wrong in its second half...we, as a culture, have started trending more and more to that "electronic happiness in front of screens" way of life with our phones and tablets...it now almost seems a little prophetic, if still on the preachy side.  So, it moved up for me above a few originals, but not into my top tier b/c Pixar has made so many good movies...  

So, I think the first sign of All Eyez's frontloadedness would be that it's already back behind WW on Pulse. I'm sure it didn't have that much of a lead to begin with but I can't imagine that it's not in for a fairly big drop tomorrow. Or at least, bigger by comparison for Sat drops this year.