WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I see disney doing $1 billion to $1.15 billion more this year.

Universal and fox both at $500-700 million.

WB at $900-1100 million.

Grosses after december are not added. I don't see WB to win. For that, thor and coco should not break out and  WB films should  do good at box office with one or two breakouts.

My conservative estimates put WB at 1.9 billion for 2017 and Disney at 2 billion.

So it's going to be close like you said.

(Only cuz WB releases way more movies.) :sparta:

• Like 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Disney only has 3 films left, 4 if you include CARS III. WB still has 9.

DISNEY

CARS III

THOR: RAGNAROK

COCO

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

WARNER BROTHERS

THE HOUSE

DUNKIRK

ANNABELLE: CREATION

IT

NINJAGO

BLADE RUNNER 2049

GEOSTORM

JUSTICE LEAGUE

BASTARDS

Geostorm and Bastards have been sitting on the shelves collecting dust for a long ass time so there's no reason to expect much from them. The House feels like it's gonna fall victim to the same comedy curse that has afflicted Rough Night, Baywatch, etc. Who knows how Annabelle 2 will fare when the first wasn't really liked. Justice League is the only movie in their roster guaranteed to make a killing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is Kate McKinnon being blamed for Rough Night when that's a Scarlett Johansson vehicle? Is Kate McKinnon responsible for Ghost in the Shell being a flop as well?

I'm not blaming her.  "box office poison" is a term we've used here for years, kind of tongue in cheek in a way.  But in another way, it works.  McKinnon is not to blame, but it's like bad grosses just follow her around.  She I'm using her as a scape goat.  I personally wouldn't cast her in my film.  

There's a scene in The Chazz Palminteri film called A Bronx Tale, where all the wise guys are at the race track and their horse is winning.  Then one of their buddies is walking down the stairs shouting in glee for the same horse to win.  Even though that horse looks to be the favourite in the race, Chazz and all his buddies rip up their tickets and curse the other guy.  Everything this guy bets on is cursed.....he just can't win a bet so they know that if he has bet on the horse, somehow it will find a way to lose. 

And it does.

So box office poison is kinda like that.  Fass is the current whipping boy at this site for being box office poison.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Why are you comparing an April movie to a June movie?

I think you missed the point.

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

DISNEY

CARS III

COCO

WARNER BROTHERS

THE HOUSE

DUNKIRK

IT

NINJAGO

BLADE RUNNER 2049

GEOSTORM

JUSTICE LEAGUE

BASTARDS

Cars 3- $140 million

Coco+ thor- $500 million.

The house+dunkrik+annabelle+geostrom- $400 million

It+ninjago+2049- $450 million

Justice league+bastards-$500 million

Star wars- $600 million.

WW- $170m

Disney- $1.24 billion

WB- $1.42 billion

Even with this, wb is not winning. And this was optimistic for wb. Disney is currently $300m ahead, I think.

Edited by damnitgeorge08
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not blaming her.  "box office poison" is a term we've used here for years, kind of tongue in cheek in a way.  But in another way, it works.  McKinnon is not to blame, but it's like bad grosses just follow her around.  She I'm using her as a scape goat.  I personally wouldn't cast her in my film.  

There's a scene in The Chazz Palminteri film called A Bronx Tale, where all the wise guys are at the race track and their horse is winning.  Then one of their buddies is walking down the stairs shouting in glee for the same horse to win.  Even though that horse looks to be the favourite in the race, Chazz and all his buddies rip up their tickets and curse the other guy.  Everything this guy bets on is cursed.....he just can't win a bet so they know that if he has bet on the horse, somehow it will find a way to lose. 

And it does.

So box office poison is kinda like that.  Fass is the current whipping boy at this site for being box office poison.  

I know what box office poison is. Lol

I just don't see her as box office poison because I don't see her as a factor at all in how a film performs and I don't think Hollywood does either. Fassbender was set up to be a Golden Boy a great actor with Blockbuster potential. He gets way more publicity and attention in his movies so I understand him getting the box office poison moniker. Listen I love Fassbender as an actor but I do think he's probably box office poison.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Outside 22 Jump Street have there been any comedy sequels that came close to matching or surpassing the first movie's success DOM?

Pitch Perfect 2, Austin Powers 2, American Pie 2.

but in recent years,no. Comedies are one in done now, Jump Street and Pitch Perfect are exceptions.

studios like to replicate the success of their movies. But they never get to the meet the level of what they previously had. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

DISNEY

CARS III 

COCO 

WARNER BROTHERS

THE HOUSE 

DUNKIRK 

IT 

NINJAGO 

BLADE RUNNER 2049 

GEOSTORM 

JUSTICE LEAGUE 

BASTARDS 

Eh, it shouldn't be hard for Disney to win again, Disney currently has a 400m+ lead with a few movies like Guardians still raking in money.

It's going to take all of WB movies overperforming and all of Disney's to underperform.

Edited by The Mummified Panda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I know what box office poison is. Lol

I just don't see her as box office poison because I don't see her as a factor at all in how a film performs and I don't think Hollywood does either. Fassbender was set up to be a Golden Boy a great actor with Blockbuster potential. He gets way more publicity and attention in his movies so I understand him getting the box office poison moniker. Listen I love Fassbender as an actor but I do think he's probably box office poison.

If everything you are in tanks or comes in under expectations, you get the poison moniker.  Pretty simple stuff.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

My conservative estimates put WB at 1.9 billion for 2017 and Disney at 2 billion.

So it's going to be close like you said.

(Only cuz WB releases way more movies.) :sparta:

But do they spend the same amount of money to make and release them?  Then, it's all fair:)...

Blade Runner 2049 is screening very well, but best case scenario for this movie is going to be in the Mad Max Fury Road range domestically.  

It's going to be 2 hours 30 minutes long, is a slower and more sophisticated sci-fi and doesn't have 4 quad appeal.  If it makes $150m domestic would be a great number.  

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

People need to temper their expectations on Blade Runner's box office. The test screenings have been getting positive reception...... from a more sophisticated crowd. The film isn't GA friendly whatsoever, especially when the current cut has a runtime of 2:40. It's not like the original Blade Runner has latched onto a huge audience and become a household staple either. This appeals strictly for fans.

Story of Your Life didn't have the best test screenings either, and it still did some decent change. While this isn't going to be GA friendly, I don't think we should be writing off its prospects strictly from test screening reactions. No guarantee it stays at 2:40 either

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Geostorm and Bastards have been sitting on the shelves collecting dust for a long ass time so there's no reason to expect much from them. The House feels like it's gonna fall victim to the same comedy curse that has afflicted Rough Night, Baywatch, etc. Who knows how Annabelle 2 will fare when the first wasn't really liked. Justice League is the only movie in their roster guaranteed to make a killing.

But it doesn't mean those movies won't make any. Even just 50 M-70 M each from those "small" movies would give you 200 M - 280 M.

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Blade Runner 2049 is screening very well, but best case scenario for this movie is going to be in the Mad Max Fury Road range domestically.  

It's going to be 2 hours 30 minutes long, is a slower and more sophisticated sci-fi and doesn't have 4 quad appeal.  If it makes $150m domestic would be a great number.  

I would personally be surprised if it comes anywhere near 150.  100 might be a better number imo.

Blade Runner was never something that took off.  It has a cult following of course, but it's not ingrained into pop culture. 

Just now, baumer said:

I would personally be surprised if it comes anywhere near 150.  100 might be a better number imo.

Blade Runner was never something that took off.  It has a cult following of course, but it's not ingrained into pop culture. 

And people will say :

" woah, looks a lot like Ghost in the Shell !"

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I hope it is this year's GRAVITY.

• Like 2

Personally I don't put too much on test screening reports most of the time. I mean when you hear something like a Batman v Superman is testing poorly then yeah I'm going to take that seriously because something like that just shouldn't be testing poorly.