WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 130): Cars 53.7M | Wonder Woman 41.3M | All Eyez 26.4M | Mummy 14.5M | 47 Meters 11.2M | POTC 9M | Rough Night 8M

I mean, I certainly thought before the summer started that Baywatch was gonna breakout and make at least 120-130. I just thought the team up of The Rock and Zac Efron was gonna be appealing to the GP. But it was actually the weak presales that made me start to think it wouldn't do so well.

Not saying reviews don't have an effect but there were signs of the film not doing well before the reviews came out.

I've always played it safe and avoided long term projections because it's really just nothing but a guess. An educated guess maybe, but still something of a shot in the dark still. I always take my hat off to anyone with the guts to put out a long range forecast because it's fucking difficult to project weeks or months out. I mean, before May I thought Rough Night was one of the breakouts of the summer and thought it could open to 30M. Of course, by this week it was pretty obvious that wasn't gonna happen. And while my final derby prediction of 11.5M might be one of the closest in the end, my initial prediction of 30M would have been one of the worst.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure of that, movie like Chips and Baywatch maybe got the idea/greenlight because of jump street success, but I doubt anyone thought they were success because people wanted old tv show turned into movie and that it was an automatic that it would work.

Maybe not, but the writers somehow thought it was a bright idea to do the same meta self-referential humor five years late, like people are too stupid to recognize derivative writing when they see it. Hollywood in general still haven't got it that at least in the domestic market, people have developed a higher standard for writing than what they've been serving up.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I predict excellent reviews for BABY DRIVER, topped off by a collective orgasm from the geek crowd, and a gross of around 50m. 

A, A+ reviews from Youtube Critics incoming.

17 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I predict excellent reviews for BABY DRIVER, topped off by a collective orgasm from the geek crowd, and a gross of around 50m. 

Would be a good number for it though, considering it's Wright.

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yup:

Water Bottle - 236.1m
Empire - 226m
Chaasmi - 165m
Blankments - 151m
Baywatch - 150m
bcf26 - 145m
narniads - 145m
Simionski - 145m
24Lost - 145m
The Panda - 144.2m
Jake Gittes - 144m
The Dark Alfred - 142m
DamienRoc - 141m
Grey Ghost - 140m
Baumer - 139m
Telemachos - 138m
WrathofHan - 135m
Fancyarcher - 134m
darkelf - 130m
Cmasterclay - 125m
grim22 - 125m
Wrath - 125m
MrPink - 125m
Chewy - 125m
Spaghetti - 120m
aabattery - 120m
#ED - 119m
kayumanggi - 115m
BastienGiot - 115m
Kalo - 115m
Matrix4You - 115m
MovieMan - 113m
damnitgeorge08 - 110m
franfar - 110m
jj99- 105m

Exxdee - 100m
Mike Hunt - 99.9m
Tree - 91m

Domestic Total: 53.2m

I had one of the lower predictions...and I thought that would be a good total for it.

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

If memory serves, most of BOT members thought Baywatch was bound to be the comedy breakout of the summer, before the reviews.

Sadly, it still may be...we may have just way overestimated what comedy was capable of hitting this summer:)...

EDIT: It has beaten Snatched and is almost 100% to stay ahead of Rough Night, so that's 2 down and 2ish to go...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Sadly, it still may be...we may have just way overestimated what comedy was capable of hitting this summer:)...

EDIT: It has beaten Snatched and is almost 100% to stay ahead of Rough Night, so that's 2 down and 2ish to go...

This is true! It'll finish around 58M. Certainly no guarantee The House will outgross that.

The comedy thing is super interesting to me. I've always felt that one would break out just to fill the GP's need for a comedy but I guess the GP is getting choosier. Super curious to see what the next breakout comedy could be. I'm definitely getting the vibe that The House is gonna be another Baywatch.

Edit: Keep forgetting Girls Trip. I need to see the latest trailer for that one. Maybe that can do what Rough Night was supposed to?

Edited by nomyth

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

OMG. 

I'm watching BVS with Mrs Tele...

:insane:

This is amazing. She's howling with laughter. It's infectious, I'm dying. This is a comedy masterpiece.

:OMG: 

Trying to start a fanboy war, Tele?

Tsk tsk.

• Like 1