aabattery

A Simple Favor | Sep 21 2018 | Paul Feig thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively

11 hours ago, Nova said:

No film is ever a play by play of the novel they're adapting. Changes are always made. Sometimes for the worst and sometimes for the better. 

What I meant are very BIG changes. (At least, the ending have to be changed a lot.)

For " The Girl on the Train" and "Gone Girl",  the novels' stories are mainstream enough, and their movies aren't very different from the novel.

For "A Simple Favor" to success, the movie have to be VERY different from the novel.  ( Honestly, "A Simple Favor" is one of the worst books I have ever read. )

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John2015 said:

What I meant are very BIG changes. (At least, the ending have to be changed a lot.)

For " The Girl on the Train" and "Gone Girl",  the novels' stories are mainstream enough, and their movies aren't very different from the novel.

For "A Simple Favor" to success, the movie have to be VERY different from the novel.  ( Honestly, "A Simple Favor" is one of the worst books I have ever read. )

Yea but A Girl on the Train wasn't a well received adaptation. I mean I personally enjoyed it but it got confusing throughout the film and imo Emily Blunt was wasted. Gone Girl was great imo. Having said that, this book not being as popular may allow them to make more changes than if it were since it doesn't have a rabid fanbase who would get upset if they changed things. I don't know how much they can actually change though because then is it an actual adaptation or is it them taking someone else's idea and twisting it into their own but I'm sure they can change somethings that may allow the ending to seem better? Possibly cut things out (something Girl on the Train should have done)

Either way I am personally not expecting something on the level of Gone Girl from this movie but I am hoping its at least decent. In the end, you also have to remember that everything when it comes to film is about execution. Again Girl on the Train was a good book that wasn't well executed into a film. This book could be terrible but if the screen writer and director know what they're doing, they could still make something out of it via how they execute it. 

Edited by Nova

12 hours ago, Nova said:

According to @antovolk Paul feig is gonna be presenting this at BFI which is interesting (imo) since BFI is several weeks after this movie comes out. 

Not at the London Film Festival (starts Oct 10), no, but a special UK preview at the BFI Southbank (like Lee did with BlacKkKlansman last night) on the 17th. The film is released here on the 21st. 

The BFI is the organisation running the London Film Fest.

Edited by antovolk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Not at the London Film Festival (starts Oct 10), no, but a special UK preview at the BFI Southbank (like Lee did with BlacKkKlansman last night) on the 17th. The film is released here on the 21st. 

The BFI is the organisation running the London Film Fest.

Thank you for making it more clear for me lol I was a bit confused as to why it would be at the festival since it would have already run its course but that makes much more sense. 

Good thing i tagged you in the post :) 

Like The Predator this is Rated R. Unlike the predator, I think an R-rating for this, given the main actresses target audience, will have a negative effect on its BO. But who knows maybe if it’s done right and needed the R-rating it could workout in its favor. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Like The Predator this is Rated R. Unlike the predator, I think an R-rating for this, given the main actresses target audience, will have a negative effect on its BO. But who knows maybe if it’s done right and needed the R-rating it could workout in its favor. 

I doubt this is being targeted towards young audiences at all. FWIW the arthouse theater near where I work that only gets either old-skewing mainstream releases (they are currently showing Mission: Impossible and Crazy Rich Asians) and indie titles is booked to get this.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I doubt this is being targeted towards young audiences at all. FWIW the arthouse theater near where I work that only gets either old-skewing mainstream releases (they are currently showing Mission: Impossible and Crazy Rich Asians) and indie titles is booked to get this.

You're right actually. Based on the source material, it would be hard to make it PG13 anyways. I just thought them going on the VMA's which has a target demo of teens, was indicating that it was PG13 and they were trying to tap into it, but I guess not. 

And that's interesting. What are the odds that theater is playing two Henry Golding films at the same time :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

And that's interesting. What are the odds that theater is playing two Henry Golding films at the same time :ph34r:

True story: while leaving Crazy Rich Asians last weekend (at the multiplex, not that theater lol), I overheard this group of 70+ grandmas talking on the way out and one of them brought up Henry Golding and said "woah he's a hottie."

Words do not describe how happy I am for @MrPink that he finally has a Hollywood leading man to give him hope. It's about damn time.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True story: while leaving Crazy Rich Asians last weekend (at the multiplex, not that theater lol), I overheard this group of 70+ grandmas talking on the way out and one of them brought up Henry Golding and said "woah he's a hottie."

Words do not describe how happy I am for @MrPink that he finally has a Hollywood leading man to give him hope. It's about damn time.

I mean I totally get the thirsting over Henry Golding. I have gotten it ever since I watched CRA so I am not surprised one bit 

:sparta:

A part of me feels like this movie is being released in the spot it is in for when folks start getting Henry Golding withdrawal syndrome