aabattery

A Simple Favor | Sep 21 2018 | Paul Feig thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Girl On the Train had similar trailers, and that movie did very well.

With these kinds of films (Gone Girl, Girl on the train, this film) it's important to put together a trailer that doesn't reveal the twists in the film so the trailers will end up being more mysterious/not showing casing things that a typical trailer would. Studios just need to make sure they make it clear that the film is a mystery thriller or whatever they call them. 

I get that some folks might find that frustrating or confusing but if you reveal too much, there is no point in watching the film. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Girl On the Train had similar trailers, and that movie did very well.

That must be put in the context that it was one of the biggest book phenomenon of the 2010s with the movie release really well timed with the book craze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins English 2008 23 million[74]
The Fault in Our Stars John Green English 2012 23 million[75]
The Shack William P. Young English 2007 22 million[76]
Дядя Степа (Dyadya Styopa; Uncle Styopa) Sergey Mikhalkov Russian 1936 21 million copies in USSR[57]
The Godfather Mario Puzo English 1969 21 million[77]
Love Story Erich Segal English 1970 21 million[78]
Gone Girl Gillian Flynn English 2012 20 million[79]
The Girl on the Train Paula Hawkins English 2015 20 million[80]

Both Gone Girl and Girl on the Train had the same Thursday previews box office.

Gone Girl marketing didn't tell us the twists, but it was telling us that a wife disappeared and that the husband would be suspected and a media circus with a PR battle about it would happen.

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That must be put in the context that it was one of the biggest book phenomenon of the 2010s with the movie release really well timed with the book craze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins English 2008 23 million[74]
The Fault in Our Stars John Green English 2012 23 million[75]
The Shack William P. Young English 2007 22 million[76]
Дядя Степа (Dyadya Styopa; Uncle Styopa) Sergey Mikhalkov Russian 1936 21 million copies in USSR[57]
The Godfather Mario Puzo English 1969 21 million[77]
Love Story Erich Segal English 1970 21 million[78]
Gone Girl Gillian Flynn English 2012 20 million[79]
The Girl on the Train Paula Hawkins English 2015 20 million[80]

Both Gone Girl and Girl on the Train had the same Thursday previews box office.

Gone Girl marketing didn't tell us the twists, but it was telling us that a wife disappeared and that the husband would be suspected and a media circus with a PR battle about it would happen.

Yea but Gone Girl was a much better movie which imo was the reason why it opened higher than Girl on the Train. I think once word got out that Girl on the Train was pretty meh, it affected its box office. I don’t think Girl on the Train’s box office was effected because of its trailer. 

I feel the same way about this film. If it’s well received I could see it doing Girl on the Train Numbers...possibly a bit less. If it’s not well received I probably have it at 15/45 so basically where it’s currently tracking. But I don’t think its box office is going to be affected because of its trailer. The trailer that’s playing in theaters right now is pretty straight forward. Same with the TV Spots. 

Edited by Nova

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea but Gone Girl was a much better movie which imo was the reason why it opened higher than Girl on the Train. I think once word got out that Girl on the Train was pretty meh, it affected its box office. I don’t think Girl on the Train’s box office was effected because of its trailer. 

Considering the very similar thursday previews, it is not crazy to say most of the difference was because of one movie being great and the other being bad.

My point was that Girl on a Train box office probably has little to do with the efficiency of it's trailer and not necessarily a good example because of it's giant fanbase.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

I feel the same way about this film. If it’s well received I could see it doing Girl on the Train Numbers...possibly a bit less. If it’s not well received I probably have it at 15/45 so basically where it’s currently tracking. But I don’t think its box office is going to be affected because of its trailer. The trailer that’s playing in theaters right now is pretty straight forward. Same with the TV Spots.  

you're such a postivie person, i see 15/45 if it is WELL received

badly received = 10/ 28

Edited by TombRaider

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, The Girl on the Train was hurt more by being a meh movie. They botched the adaptation of a decent book.

Girl on the train had the potential to be a great movie imo. Emily Blunt was great in it but they just couldn’t execute the adaptation. Oddly enough I actually didn’t read the book until I saw the trailer for the film. Read the book and loved it. Watched the movie and was disappointed. 

Considering the week it opened it was tracking at $25-$30M, it had the potential to do $30M+, if it was well executed. Oh well 

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Just bought the book today.  I'll be starting it tomorrow.

So without giving away any spoilers obviously, not sure how much the movie follows the book :ph34r: 

Spoiler

Anna Kendrick mentioned something that happens in the movie which doesn't happen in the book. Then the movie's Instagram page was talking about where Emily went and the location they mentioned isn't in the book.

I still enjoyed the book when I read it a couple of weeks ago because of all the twists and stuff in it. So I hope you enjoy it too! 

Glad to see Henry Golding's name appear in the TV Spots now. I guess thats what happens when you star in the number one movie in America which also happens to be a movie that earned almost the same amount in its first and second weekend 😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TombRaider said:

so they did promo for this 4 weeks before the premiere?? why?? i'll never understand this, you should promote the week of the freaking release not a month before and then nobody will care

Relax. According to Henry Golding on IG they’re doing a bunch of stuff for the movie during New York Fashion Week which runs from the 6th to the 14th. Anna Kendrick is gonna be on Ellen on the 6th and Blake is supposed to be doing talk show stuff the week of release. They didn’t just do promo for the film a month before and are gonna forget about it. 

They most likely did some of the promo early on because of Henry’s crazy schedule with CRA and they wanted to include him. And now they’ll finish the last leg of the promo tour leading up to the film’s release date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TombRaider said:

so they did promo for this 4 weeks before the premiere?? why?? i'll never understand this, you should promote the week of the freaking release not a month before and then nobody will care

Image result for you really need to relax

I feel like every time I read one of your posts it's like you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Just breathe a little. It's just movies. lol. :)

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1