baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

There are kids and kids. Adults and adults.

Both kids and adults can be a pain in the ass. I had a great experience with kids ( the ones that asked me to be their guardian to watch a R rated movie ) and bad experiences with Adults ( though it wasn't personal, they were screaming during the screening for Dr Strange ).

The most critical experience was during the screening for the first Tomb Raider movie ( wow, I'm old, lol ). People were talking so much, that the manager went personally to say he would cancel the screening. Everyone stopped saying a damn thing and movie started!

Meh... what really surprised me about Han's story was that the dad went to report and then aggressively told him about it. That's certainly not a very mature or smart move if you're actually looking to diffuse a situation.

Re the whole kids debate. I don't know... one of those situations where I see both sides. I don't have kids but I worked at an elementary school for 2 years and certainly have a degree of insight into how difficult it can be to control kids. I can imagine taking your kids to movies can be quite an ordeal.

Having said that, I was going to movies when I was 4 and 5 and never thought it was okay to act up in public. So, it's hard for me not to get a little high-horse-y from time to time when I see kids who just won't shut up.

• Like 1

One of my favorite theater experiences was when my dad and I took my niece and nephew to see Bolt. The twins were five or six or so. Going to the movie was my idea; I'd already seen the film, and figured that they'd like it. My dad agreed so we bundled them up in the car and head to the movie.

When we get there, my nephew had a little meltdown and didn't want to go in. He told us he'd stay in the car while we watched the movie. Now, note that it's the middle of December in northern Indiana, so the ambient temperature was probably around 20 degrees or so. Not a chance we can leave him in the car, even if we trusted him to just sit tight. So we cajoled and convinced him it would be fine.

We get them a snack and go in and sit down. My niece and I in one row, my nephew sitting in my dad's lap behind us. I tried a bite of my nieces cotton candy and wondered what fresh hell I'd put in my mouth, because it was vile. This might have been the moment when I realized that taste buds change over time.

And we watched the movie. My niece might have asked a question or two. At one point she leaned over and said she had to go to the bathroom, so I took her to it and we went back in.

After it finished, the kids were both excited about what they'd seen. "Can we get it on DVD?" was my nephew's first question when we got out of the theater. So, y'know crisis averted. They also really liked the Monsters vs. Aliens trailer.

A few years ago I asked my nephew if he remembered this and not wanting to go in. "Yeah, I was scared!" he said. 

I try to take them to see a movie whenever I see them, although now that they're teens, they're less inclined to go see Disney stuff with me.

• Like 3

Just now, DamienRoc said:

One of my favorite theater experiences was when my dad and I took my niece and nephew to see Bolt. The twins were five or six or so. Going to the movie was my idea; I'd already seen the film, and figured that they'd like it. My dad agreed so we bundled them up in the car and head to the movie.

When we get there, my nephew had a little meltdown and didn't want to go in. He told us he'd stay in the car while we watched the movie. Now, note that it's the middle of December in northern Indiana, so the ambient temperature was probably around 20 degrees or so. Not a chance we can leave him in the car, even if we trusted him to just sit tight. So we cajoled and convinced him it would be fine.

We get them a snack and go in and sit down. My niece and I in one row, my nephew sitting in my dad's lap behind us. I tried a bite of my nieces cotton candy and wondered what fresh hell I'd put in my mouth, because it was vile. This might have been the moment when I realized that taste buds change over time.

And we watched the movie. My niece might have asked a question or two. At one point she leaned over and said she had to go to the bathroom, so I took her to it and we went back in.

After it finished, the kids were both excited about what they'd seen. "Can we get it on DVD?" was my nephew's first question when we got out of the theater. So, y'know crisis averted. They also really liked the Monsters vs. Aliens trailer.

A few years ago I asked my nephew if he remembered this and not wanting to go in. "Yeah, I was scared!" he said. 

I try to take them to see a movie whenever I see them, although now that they're teens, they're less inclined to go see Disney stuff with me.

See, this is fine. People whisper questions all the time in movies, and I generally don't have an issue with that unless it's loud. Even if it happens often, being quiet doesn't bother me too much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

No Disney stuff?  Teens?

Michael Bay has an answer for you

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It has nothing to do with being taught. One kid's temperament can be completely different than another's -- kids mature at different paces (let alone the paces between genders). Much of this depends on the age of the kids. You guys are thinking back on your own memories which (likely) don't reflect younger ages and are also colored by being, well, your memories.

(Id like more of these comments but I hit my like cap)

But yeah, it's easy to remember back on yourself being a perfect child, but I doubt that's what happened in reality. 

There are are plenty of moments I remember my parents snapping at me (sometimes in a theater) and me being clueless because I thought I was behaving fine (when in reality I was likely jabbering on and being loud somewhere I shouldn't have).

I'm also a sure everyone who says "I was not like that as a kid!" had plenty of moments where they acted up in public spaces.  Not calling anyone a liar, your memory just sugarcoats things and isn't entirely reliable (especially if it's something that happened as a kid).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

No Disney stuff?  Teens?

Michael Bay has an answer for you

My nephew likes Marvel movies. I took him and his friends to see Apocalypse and he enjoyed it. 

My niece says she likes musicals and animated movies, but she didn't want to go see Moana with me, even after I told her that LMM did the songs.

37 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Don't get mad at nice little kids because you went to see a movie for eight year olds, tbh.

Skip Star Wars in theaters, folks.

:rock::shades:

Edited by The Futurist

33 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Don't get mad at nice little kids because you went to see a movie for eight year olds, tbh.

sure I get not getting mad at the kids. but I think han has every right to be pissed with the parents

• Like 2