baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Don't defend his actions, Tele. The theater is not your own personal screening unless nobody else is in the theater with you. I know you're a father and can relate to his struggles of controlling kids, but you know better than to take loud kids to the theater :lol: 

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

All due respect, I don't understand how you can.  The theater is not the place to talk.  That's what home video is for.  I get irritated when people talk in the theater, it's no different than using your cell phone during the movie.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

If the father talks to his kids, someone else talks on his phone, others talk to their spouses and so on, then the entire theater is basically talking.  And that's not right.  

It's a kid's movie. (Right? I actually didn't catch what movie you went to see). A matinee for a kids movie is basically what parents try to do because it (generally) is a good time to not bother other people. Young kids will talk during movies. It's basically a given. As a parent, you can try to minimize it, you can try to talk in whispers back, but that's basically the deal. I don't know how much of an asshole the dude was, or how loudly he was talking, but a matinee for a kids movie is basically for them.

• Like 11

Just now, That One Guy said:

When I saw Cars 3, every fucking time McQueen appeared on screen, some kid behind me who was like 11 or 12 would say "KACHOW!"  It was the most annoying fucking thing.

See now that's fucking annoying.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's a kid's movie. (Right? I actually didn't catch what movie you went to see). A matinee for a kids movie is basically what parents try to do because it (generally) is a good time to not bother other people. Young kids will talk during movies. It's basically a given. As a parent, you can try to minimize it, you can try to talk in whispers back, but that's basically the deal. I don't know how much of an asshole the dude was, or how loudly he was talking, but a matinee for a kids movie is basically for them.

Yeah, if you want to catch a movie who's main Demo is families, don't see it during the matinee (or if you do, understand children are innately obnoxious, nothing you can do).  It sounded like the parents were trying to keep their kids engaged in the movie and not start getting restless and running around the theater (which would be more distracting).

This isn't a case where a dad took his young kids to see the Revenant at 9:30pm, and constantly had to explain what was happening.  I don't blame them.

I'm siding with Han and Baumer here.  If your kid is being loud and asking a lot of questions, then he either 1. Needs to wait more time until they're ready to see a movie in the theater or 2. They should take them out of the theater until they're quiet and agree to be quiet.  I didn't see my first movie in theaters until I was like 4 or 5 because of that reason.

The theater is supposed to be silent for a reason.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I hate when people talk during a movie...but even as an adult sometimes I find myself wanting to ask questions. So I can't imagine how a kid is going to feel. There's no way they're going to stay silent the whole damn time. Especially if it's a kid's movie. It seems the parents probably knew their kids were talkers so that's why they chose a matinee. There's nothing else they can do but tell them to be quiet. I thought the kids might have been really rowdy and were throwing things etc but they were just talking during a matinee. 

If the theater isn't crowded, I usually just move my seat or if it's too crowded, ask for a refund from the theater. It seems Han got a refund and a free ticket. So while it's unfortunate that he couldn't watch the film, in the end he got his money back. The parents can't really do anything about it and no taking their kids out of the theater and going home doesn't really fix the issue. Kids are always going to be asking questions and inquiring about stuff. That's the way their minds work. The next time they go to a theater or anywhere else for that matter they're going to ask questions again. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I strenuously object to this line of thinking.

There's no sign outside that says kids viewing.  It's a public auditorium and people have the right to go to a movie and not be disturbed.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Yeah, if you want to catch a movie who's main Demo is families, don't see it during the matinee (or if you do, understand children are innately obnoxious, nothing you can do).  It sounded like the parents were trying to keep their kids engaged in the movie and not start getting restless and running around the theater (which would be more distracting).

This isn't a case where a dad took his young kids to see the Revenant at 9:30pm, and constantly had to explain what was happening.  I don't blame them.

That's why I saw Underpants like at 9:00 last week. I've been babysitting for the past 4 years now, and I tend to offer certain parents (mainly family members or family friends) certain perks like going to the movies. For example, for a kid like my little cousin B (we're calling him B for now) it has to be during a matinee, he's not a bad child at all, he's like to ask questions during a movie. But my other cousins K and Q, I can take anytime. I try my hardest to make sure my clients are quiet and I know who and who isn't ready for the movies.

• Like 1

Children talk, I get being annoyed when it's an action flick or something.  But if you go see an animated or family movie (especially a summer matinee), there are going to be kids, kids are loud, and you can't be upset about that.

If I go see an animated movie, I purposefully try to plan for a late night time for that exact reason.

• Like 6

Just now, The Mummified Panda said:

Children talk, I get being annoyed when it's an action flick or something.  But if you go see an animated or family movie (especially a summer matinee), there are going to be kids, kids are loud, and you can't be upset about that.

If I go see an animated movie, I purposefully try to plan for a late night time for that exact reason.

But I can't go late because my parents won't let me. 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Even when I was 4, I shut the hell up in theaters. I'm there to see a film, and that attitude has never changed.

Same here but not all kids are like that.

• Like 1

My daughter started singing ( really loud, by the way ) during a screening for Moana, forcing me to tell her to shut up.

Once she stopped singing, people actually started clapping and saying that's how it should be done. Kids have to learn, they have so much to learn. It was glorious, lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Yes, children talk.  However, is it really too hard to ask for the parents to teach their kids proper theater etiquette?  They should learn that if they can't behave properly during any movie in theaters, then they'll have to wait until it's on DVD.

• Like 2