baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

It's not a question of etiquette. There's a different context between watching a movie at home and watching a movie in theaters. They can't grasp the difference unless they start having the literal experience of doing so. You guys are looking at things through an adult perspective -- when kids are young an explanation (even a punishment) can be meaningless, they simply don't understand the context yet.

Exactly. They're not going to learn how to act in a theater if they're always watching movies at home. In fact their behavior will be even worse because they've never had the experience of being in a theater and just assume that they can behave the way they do at home. 

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

That's why you teach them not to talk during a movie.  Just like you teach them not to touch hot things or poke a stick in a bees nest or any other number of things you teach your kids.

I just can't agree with you here. And surely you know that I really value the sanctity of the theatrical experience -- heck, it pisses me off when people talk during trailers (even if I've already seen them). The occasional cell-phone screen is highly annoying.

Kids and kids movies are a whole different ballgame.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's not a question of etiquette. There's a different context between watching a movie at home and watching a movie in theaters. They can't grasp the difference unless they start having the literal experience of doing so. You guys are looking at things through an adult perspective -- when kids are young an explanation (even a punishment) can be meaningless, they simply don't understand the context yet.

So teach them the difference between a theater movie and a home movie.  Tell them that while it's fine to talk at home, say that if they want to ask a question in the theater, they should whisper it to them.  Say that the consequences of being too talkative could result in getting kicked out.  If they get too loud, take them out of the theater for a few minutes until they're calm.

They're freaking kids, man. Yeesh, some of the rhetoric here is odd. I deal with kids all day at work and at home, and they can be perfectly nice and wonderful kids but they'll still act loud and act up sometime because they're children. They're not developed adults there to ponder the nuances of the cinematography. You all acted the exact same way when you were kids. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes, but kids are awesome and the only true innocence and joy really left in the world. They should be able to go have fun at a cartoon meant for six year olds. Instead of hating how they act, I would suggest not going to a children's movie if you are put off by regular children behavior.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 6

Just now, That One Guy said:

So teach them the difference between a theater movie and a home movie.  Tell them that while it's fine to talk at home, say that if they want to ask a question in the theater, they should whisper it to them.  Say that the consequences of being too talkative could result in getting kicked out.  If they get too loud, take them out of the theater for a few minutes until they're calm.

Parenting is easy, kids.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I just can't agree with you here. And surely you know that I really value the sanctity of the theatrical experience -- heck, it pisses me off when people talk during trailers (even if I've already seen them). The occasional cell-phone screen is highly annoying.

Kids and kids movies are a whole different ballgame.

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.  I do see  your point that if it's a kids movie, especially during the day, you might have to expect it.  But I don't have to like it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

They're freaking kids, man. Yeesh, some of the rhetoric here is nice. I deal with kids all day at work and at home, and they can be perfectly nice and wonderful kids but they'll still act loud and act up sometime because they're children. They're not developed adults there to ponder the nuances of the cinematography. You all acted the exact same way when you were kids. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes, but kids are awesome and the only true innocence and joy really left in the world. They should be able to go have fun at a cartoon meant for six year olds. Instead of hating how they act, I would suggest not going to a children's movie if you are put off by regular children behavior.

Don't presume that I or anyone else acted that way as a youth.  I was definitely taught at an early age how to act in public, whether it be a theater or a restaurant.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

This is an intellectual concept that has no meaning for little kids. They will acknowledge it, they will whisper for the next minute or two. They don't have the capacity to retain longterm information or instruction, especially in the context of a social situation they have no true understanding of (and won't have until they experience it many times). The consequences are meaningless. And yes, a parent can (and sometimes does) take a kid out of the theater until they're calm. Doing that throughout the movie is (1) also disruptive and (2) will prompt even more questions upon return because the kid has missed part of the movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I gotta agree with Tele, here. At times, mostly for money-saving purposes, I've gone to see a lot of matinees, and I go to see a lot of animated films. Kids talk. Sometimes it's annoying, sure, sometimes it actually becomes part of the experience. What kids are reacting to, positively or negatively, can tell you a lot about the film.

This, it would be like complaining about teenage girl making noise at a twilight Thursday night preview, there is stuff that are to be expected and that you wanted to be part of the experience if you went there at that moment.

Going to a superheroes movie or other kids movie like that and being annoyed by them is to be expected (at a certain level).

Edited by Barnack

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

This is an intellectual concept that has no meaning for little kids. They will acknowledge it, they will whisper for the next minute or two. They don't have the capacity to retain longterm information or instruction, especially in the context of a social situation they have no true understanding of (and won't have until they experience it many times). The consequences are meaningless. And yes, a parent can (and sometimes does) take a kid out of the theater until they're calm. Doing that throughout the movie is (1) also disruptive and (2) will prompt even more questions upon return because the kid has missed part of the movie.

I disagree with all of this.  

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Don't presume that I or anyone else acted that way as a youth.  I was definitely taught at an early age how to act in public, whether it be a theater or a restaurant.

Don't get offended. I'm not saying you or anyone else was bad or obnoxious, just that every kid in the history of children has acted up in public sometimes. If you didn't, then that is just unbelievable to me, I'm sorry. Even the best behaved kids get overexcited or overstimulated and act "bad" by adult standards of etiquette. 

Just now, baumer said:

That's not fair.  He made a good point.  

We don't have the context of how these parents teach their kids. For all we know, they've probably said these things, several times before.

Kids have a tendency to not do what they're told at inopportune times. I'm just saying, you can make it sound easy to do this and that, but kids always results in improvising.

• Like 2

I think this is mostly a question of who's had kids (or has spent a lot of time helping raise kids).  I've had plenty of kids in my family (and outside actually) I've helped babysit and watch because that's how my family works, so I also have a decent understanding of some of the issues raising them.

Im sympathetic to parents because people make the job out to be a lot easier than it is.  Unless the parents are taking their kids to a movie that's not an appropriate setting for them (such as taking your seven year olds to see the Revenant at 9pm) I really can't blame kids for being kids.

• Like 3

I've had no bad luck at any kids flicks this year until today. Sing, Lego Batman, and Boss Baby were all during school weekdays, but even the kids in those were quiet! The kids a couple seats away in CU talked every now and then, which, while annoying, was infrequent enough not to get mad. When you are talking every fucking minute and fairly loud, THAT'S when I get mad.

• Like 1