baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

We don't have the context of how these parents teach their kids. For all we know, they've probably said these things, several times before.

Kids have a tendency to not do what they're told at inopportune times. I'm just saying, you can make it sound easy to do this and that, but kids always results in improvising.

I know what kids have a tendency to do.  I was a step parent to young kids too.  And yes, they do what they do and at times there's nothing you can do about it...but you still have to tell them what is right and wrong and not just let them do what they want to do....imo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is an intellectual concept that has no meaning for little kids. They will acknowledge it, they will whisper for the next minute or two. They don't have the capacity to retain longterm information or instruction, especially in the context of a social situation they have no true understanding of (and won't have until they experience it many times). The consequences are meaningless. And yes, a parent can (and sometimes does) take a kid out of the theater until they're calm. Doing that throughout the movie is (1) also disruptive and (2) will prompt even more questions upon return because the kid has missed part of the movie.

Everything you have said is backed from a biological and psychological perspective. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Don't presume that I or anyone else acted that way as a youth.  I was definitely taught at an early age how to act in public, whether it be a theater or a restaurant.

It has nothing to do with being taught. One kid's temperament can be completely different than another's -- kids mature at different paces (let alone the paces between genders). Much of this depends on the age of the kids. You guys are thinking back on your own memories which (likely) don't reflect younger ages and are also colored by being, well, your memories.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

This is an intellectual concept that has no meaning for little kids. They will acknowledge it, they will whisper for the next minute or two. They don't have the capacity to retain longterm information or instruction, especially in the context of a social situation they have no true understanding of (and won't have until they experience it many times). The consequences are meaningless. And yes, a parent can (and sometimes does) take a kid out of the theater until they're calm. Doing that throughout the movie is (1) also disruptive and (2) will prompt even more questions upon return because the kid has missed part of the movie.

Let's just agree to disagree, cause I have a lot of qualms about taking kids to see a movie in the theater at a premature age :)

(if only Batman v Superman ended this easily instead of dragging on for 2 and a half hours :kitschjob: )

Ill never forget my Doctor Strange screening where a 8 year old boy was sitting next to me constantly comparing the Mads Mikkelsen character to Hannibal. Like the really violent and gruesome show Hannibal. That kid kept talking about it and made food-related puns. I mean it was annoying and after a while i asked him to be quiet (thankfully, he did so) but it was also kind of hilarious. Some parents have no idea what their kids are watching.

• Like 1

On the movie website Tribute, which gives me movie times in Toronto and Canada, Transformers is getting very good reviews from people who have seen it.  This makes me pretty excited.

When we saw Guardians there was a child around 10 being very loud and his parents apologized to everyone in the area and said that he was on the spectrum and was really excited to see this movie. Not saying at all that's what happened to Han but that is definitely not the first time that happened to me. Those kids deserve to see appropriate movies, too, so you have to find a way to balance being respectful with enjoying what you paid for. You never know people's situations. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It has nothing to do with being taught. One kid's temperament can be completely different than another's -- kids mature at different paces (let alone the paces between genders). Much of this depends on the age of the kids. You guys are thinking back on your own memories which (likely) don't reflect younger ages and are also colored by being, well, your memories.

And of course everyone acts like they would remember every little thing from when they were a child. That's why according to all of us we were the most well behaved kids who never did anything wrong but have the parent or guardian come and tell the true story of how they behaved. Especially at a fairly young age say 4 or 5 years old....which we'd have a hard time remembering everything from then 

3 hours ago, Nova said:

And of course everyone acts like they would remember every little thing from when they were a child. That's why according to all of us we were the most well behaved kids who never did anything wrong but have the parent or guardian come and tell the true story of how they behaved. Especially at a fairly young age say 4 or 5 years old....which we'd have a hard time remembering everything from then 

Well, this is where the debate about parts of parenting that are outlawed now, come into play.

I'll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ill never forget my Doctor Strange screening where a 8 year old boy was sitting next to me constantly comparing the Mads Mikkelsen character to Hannibal. Like the really violent and gruesome show Hannibal. That kid kept talking about it and made food-related puns. I mean it was annoying and after a while i asked him to be quiet (thankfully, he did so) but it was also kind of hilarious. Some parents have no idea what their kids are watching.

:ohmygod: 

I wouldn't mind talking in that scenario :rofl: 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

When we saw Guardians there was a child around 10 being very loud and his parents apologized to everyone in the area and said that he was on the spectrum and was really excited to see this movie. Not saying at all that's what happened to Han but that is definitely not the first time that happened to me. Those kids deserve to see appropriate movies, too, so you have to find a way to balance being respectful with enjoying what you paid for. You never know people's situations. 

Most of the chain theaters offer autistic-friendly showings though. Even shit like Rings gets sensory friendly showings.

• Like 1

Kids these days wear the pants. In homes. At schools. Everywhere. That's all I have to say because it's a loaded topic for me.

That being said, if it's a kids/family movie in the afternoon or at 4PM etc., the onus is on me to be cool with the talking or babies crying or whatever, since I know what I'm getting into. Sure, you'd like all kids to be taught to be silent in theatres but we don't live in that kind of ideal world.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Well, this is where the debate about parts of parenting that are outlawed now, come into play.

I'll leave it at that.

That's also very true. I'm 23 years old but even the way I was raised is drastically different to how kids are raised today. Which way is right or wrong isn't up for me to decide but it's also something to consider. 

• Like 1

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (5) 47 Meters Down Entertainment Studi… $1,593,788 +8% 2,270 $702   $14,269,018 5
- (7) Captain Underpants: The Fir… 20th Century Fox $1,151,950 +25% 2,968 $388   $59,868,597 19
- (10) It Comes at Night A24 $350,780 -14% 2,450 $143   $11,881,247 12
- (11) Baywatch Paramount Pictures $253,676 +6% 1,307 $194   $55,651,243 27
- (-) My Cousin Rachel Fox Searchlight $79,863 +22% 531 $150   $2,120,475 12
- (-) The Boss Baby 20th Century Fox $72,887 +33% 260 $280   $172,620,659 82
- (14) Alien: Covenant 20th Century Fox $68,044 -9% 400 $170   $72,896,818 33
- (-) Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The L… 20th Century Fox $37,570 +17% 255 $147   $20,157,474 33
- (-) Snatched 20th Century Fox $22,821 +18% 211 $108   $45,445,561 40
- (-) Gifted Fox Searchlight $12,825 +22% 100 $128   $24,445,308 75
- (-) Love, Kennedy Purdie Distribution $8,730 +84% 10 $873   $181,141 19
- (-) Dean CBS Films $7,995 +10% 83 $96   $222,094 19
- (-) Warriors of the Dawn FIP $7,759 +34% 32 $242   $55,526 5
- (-) The Exception A24 $4,887 +6% 14 $349   $103,173 19
- (-) The Lovers A24 $2,380 +3% 35 $68   $2,153,411 47
- (-) Their Finest STX Entertainment $2,017 -4% 29 $70   $3,599,964 75
- (-) Logan 20th Century Fox $1,513 +22% 22 $69   $226,255,330 110
- (-) The Recall Freestyle Releasing $955
  • Like 1