baumer

Transformers Last Knight 5.5m in previews...WW 5.45 -37% from last Tuesday

I think Han had the right to be upset, but not sure if he could have just moved elsewhere and sat somewhere else. I don't know if this is adolescent center of the universe perspective talking.

But when you go to a kids' movie, that's kinda what to expect. This is why I don't see too many kids movies in the theaters. It happened at Lego Batman, but it's kinda whatever.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

You guys don't have kids, I understand. At a young age, things are basically pre-etiquette. They simply won't grasp the nuances of it. They will talk.

There's an unspoken rule among parents that you basically try to find "kid-friendly" showtimes. Those tend to be (1) the early matinees and/or (2) kid-specific movies. I completely understand and sympathize with the frustration of having little kids talk in theaters, but at a basic level, you should understand that those shows (and movies!) are primarily for them.

This is something I didn't grasp until I had a kid, so I totally get the annoyance. But still, perspective.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I strenuously object to this line of thinking.

There's no sign outside that says kids viewing.  It's a public auditorium and people have the right to go to a movie and not be disturbed.  

Im just saying, kids are by nature going to want to talk during a movie.  I also don't think it's fair to the kids or parents to punish them for that (especially since they obviously chose a time and movie that was catered toward a family audience).

The parents can either answer their questions, or get pestered by the same one until they answer it (or worse off, the kids get restless and start throwing things and running around).

I don't know how loud these parents were acting, or if they were trying to stay quiet when talking, but in general I couldn't blame the family in this case.  It'd be like getting mad when you get a puppy and find out it poops in the house and chews on things, what did you expect?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

You guys don't have kids, I understand. At a young age, things are basically pre-etiquette. They simply won't grasp the nuances of it. They will talk.

There's an unspoken rule among parents that you basically try to find "kid-friendly" showtimes. Those tend to be (1) the early matinees and/or (2) kid-specific movies. I completely understand and sympathize with the frustration of having little kids talk in theaters, but at a basic level, you should understand that those shows (and movies!) are primarily for them.

This is something I didn't grasp until I had a kid, so I totally get the annoyance. But still, perspective.

But this can be avoided by not taking them to the theater until they learn basic etiquette.  There's an endless amount of films readily available for them to watch at home.

I think some of you that think it's easy as 1,2,3 to have a kid be quiet for like 2 hours have had very little experience with kids. They'll be quiet for like ten minutes and then their minds will begin to wander and want to ask questions about what's going on or comment on what's happening. Obviously this changes as the kids get older and it's important to tell them to be quiet or to shhh so as they get older their behavior changes but there's no guarantee that the kid is going to be quiet for the rest of the film at that moment in time. 

I think in Han's case, it's just weird that the father reported him because you're supposed to be quiet in a theater so telling someone to be quiet isn't exactly an offense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think Han had the right to be upset, but not sure if he could have just moved elsewhere and sat somewhere else. I don't know if this is adolescent center of the universe perspective talking.

But when you go to a kids' movie, that's kinda what to expect. This is why I don't see too many kids movies in the theaters. It happened at Lego Batman, but it's kinda whatever.

The only seats left were the nosebleed seats. The only available decent seat was the one right next to me which wouldn't have solved anything.

3 hours ago, The Mummified Panda said:

Im just saying, kids are by nature going to want to talk during a movie.  I also don't think it's fair to the kids or parents to punish them for that (especially since they obviously chose a time and movie that was catered toward a family audience).

The parents can either answer their questions, or get pestered by the same one until they answer it (or worse off, the kids get restless and start throwing things and running around).

I don't know how loud these parents were acting, or if they were trying to stay quiet when talking, but in general I couldn't blame the family in this case.  It'd be like getting mad when you get a puppy and find out it poops in the house and chews on things, what did you expect?

Yes, they can punish them for that.  If it was at a funeral, or church, or someone's speech or any other number of events where talking is frowned upon, then they would not be allowed to do it.  So the movie theater should be no different.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I tend to have good luck when I see kids movies, but the worst experience I had was seeing Monster Trucks at 7.  Kids pulled out their fucking IPADS during the movie.

I don't blame them.  I would have done the same thing if my parents made me sit through that.

Just now, That One Guy said:

But this can be avoided by not taking them to the theater until they learn basic etiquette.  There's an endless amount of films readily available for them to watch at home.

It's not a question of etiquette. There's a different context between watching a movie at home and watching a movie in theaters. They can't grasp the difference unless they start having the literal experience of doing so. You guys are looking at things through an adult perspective -- when kids are young an explanation (even a punishment) can be meaningless, they simply don't understand the context yet.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't really want to get in the middle of this BUT I always try to catch one of the latest showings of the day if I know it's movie that will attract families/kids.

I do the same thing. Fortunately if the movie is R rated, I don't have to worry about that, though. Kids hardly watch R rated movies here in Brazil, even if their guardians can take them to watch it ( unless it's a movie for people over 18 ).

I remember when I went to watch 30 Days of Night. That was a long, long time ago. When I bought my tickets to watch it, there were 3 young kids looking at me ( they wanted to bought tickets for the same movie, but couldn't do it because they were young, and the manager said they needed a guardian to join them). They asked me if I could be their Guardian, because they were so excited to watch the movie. I actually accepted, but told them to stay quiet, in order to avoid problems. So, they actually gave me the money to buy their tickets and there I did it.

We both entered the theater and went on to watch the movie.

To my surprise, they were quite relaxed and quiet during the entire movie. I was really surprised to see such polite young kids. They were actually more mature than a lot of adults that I know. They told me they loved the movie ( I didn't like it too much, I guess they were gore fans, lol ) . It was a good experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

You don't seem to be getting that the only way to teach them theater etiquette is to take them to a theater.  It'd be like not letting the kid in a little league baseball program until they learned how to play baseball.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Yes, they can punish them for that.  If it was at a funeral, or church, or someone's speech or any other number of events where talking is frowned upon, then they would not be allowed to do it.  So the movie theater should be no different.

Context is everything. I literally was at a baptism this weekend. There were plenty of young kids in the general audience. They were... significantly noisier than if it was an adult-only affair or if it was a mass. The same would be a true at a wedding.

• Like 4

I gotta agree with Tele, here. At times, mostly for money-saving purposes, I've gone to see a lot of matinees, and I go to see a lot of animated films. Kids talk. Sometimes it's annoying, sure, sometimes it actually becomes part of the experience. What kids are reacting to, positively or negatively, can tell you a lot about the film.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only seats left were the nosebleed seats. The only available decent seat was the one right next to me which wouldn't have solved anything.

Should have gone to the nosebleeds and start posting on BOT during the entire film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

It's not a question of etiquette. There's a different context between watching a movie at home and watching a movie in theaters. They can't grasp the difference unless they start having the literal experience of doing so. You guys are looking at things through an adult perspective -- when kids are young an explanation (even a punishment) can be meaningless, they simply don't understand the context yet.

That's why you teach them not to talk during a movie.  Just like you teach them not to touch hot things or poke a stick in a bees nest or any other number of things you teach your kids.

• Like 2

Just now, DamienRoc said:

I gotta agree with Tele, here. At times, mostly for money-saving purposes, I've gone to see a lot of matinees, and I go to see a lot of animated films. Kids talk. Sometimes it's annoying, sure, sometimes it actually becomes part of the experience. What kids are reacting to, positively or negatively, can tell you a lot about the film.

Not really? :lol: I go to the movies to see movies, not to hear what the audience has to say.

• Like 2