John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

tf5 probably looking at 130 dom + 290 ch + 300 (?) os-china =720 ww

so i would consider it well saved if the prod budget is "only" 215-220 (like reported).

but yeah, f8's been saved to completely different category. that one is a legit os blockbuster : 390 ch and 610 os-ch. that 610 is as amazing as the china gross. really thought it would do less os-china.

Yep, f8 is a blockbuster. Thing with TF5 is that majority of its gross is from china.

25% of 300- 75

40% of 300- 120

And 65 dom. Total 260. This is similar to ASM2. Lower budget than that but china gross is much bigger part of total gross.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh I have no idea, it's just that once you start hearing studios talking about its impact on trades the whole "where there's smoke there's fire" scenario starts to play out in my head.

The only thing I'd love for them to do is to make it easier for people to check the consensus among their favorite critics, I think that would make a lot of sense as a next step to make it more user-friendly but I imagine that's no what the studios have in mind for it. As i said, I have no idea.

I doubt they'll change it much. I've noted it makes more sense to try to manipulate the RT by having stages of critic screenings: show the movie first to favorable critics, then to critics who are on the fence, and then the harsh critics than asking RT to change (since if RT changed dramatically they risk another RT rising they have no control over).

• Like 1

Maybe the problem is not just Rotten Tomatoes, but also the blogs and their hyperbolic articles flooding social media. Serious critics and journalists sadly have gone click-baiting too, to compete with the bloggers. I think sadly people are influenced a lot by that. Don't know how studios can change that.

• Like 9

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe the problem is not just Rotten Tomatoes, but also the blogs and their hyperbolic articles flooding social media. Serious critics and journalists sadly have gone click-baiting too, to compete with the bloggers. I think sadly people are influenced a lot by that. Don't know how studios can change that.

The GA will go to RT now. But generally only fans go to the blogs and movie news sites. Granted low enthusiasm and bad WOM from fans is likely picked on by the GA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

https://youtu.be/wekE7oSO55w

Someone fix my YouTube embeds please. I can't get it to work. And, I don't know, I'm stupid.

I just saw this, so my apologies if someone already answered. You need to copy the embed code from YouTube, then click on "Source" in your post window here and paste the code there. Once you deselect "Source" the embedded video will appear.  

17 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The GA will go to RT now. But generally only fans go to the blogs and movie news sites. Granted low enthusiasm and bad WOM from fans is likely picked on by the GA.

Rottentomatoes is literally part of Flixster, right? It's pushed into peoples faces. It honestly kind of hard to avoid even for someone that's just a casual moviegoer.

• Like 2

(4)47 Meters DownEntertainment Studi…$1,237,361+1%2,270$545  $16,825,9327

-(11)It Comes at NightA24$181,861+1%2,450$74  $12,243,16814

-(-)The HeroThe Orchard$16,481+16%27$610  $257,96414

-(-)DeanCBS Films$7,605+4%83$92  $237,03621

-(-)The ExceptionA24$4,130-18%14$295  $112,33421

-(-)The LoversA24$2,275-24%35$65  $2,158,69649

-(-)Their FinestSTX Entertainment$1,945+23%29$67  $3,603,48477

-(-)Jeremiah Tower: The Last Ma…The Orchard$331-87%14$24  $225,96363

-(-)Radio DreamsMatson$138+53%4$35  $16,17621

48 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Maybe Apes 3 can go there, movie seems to be insanely good.

apes2 did 210 + 500 odd for 710 ww roughly.

if this one surprises i still think 750 odd is the max.

nothing would make me happier for apes to win though. love that franchise.

for now guessing summer ranking as

1. dm3
  2. gotg2/sm6
  3. gotg2/sm6
  4. wondr
  5. potc5
  6. apes
  7. tf5
  8. dunkirk
  9. cars3
  10. val
Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mother! Poster

Yeah, given the $13M budget it will be hard to miss making a profit on that one.

12 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Such ashame about Star Trek too. I really liked Star Trek Beyond from last year. Hopefully we get another.

Same, and same.

I picked up one of the wrong quotes.  Speaking to the RT discussion, I think the big problem is the group mind to 'fantastic' or 'dregs' and out hyperbolizing eachother in whichever direction, and you don't see that from what I personally call legitimate critics (overlapping with but not identical to top critics.)  I could see studios only doing critic screenings for 'legitimate critics'.  It won't mean they never get bad reviews, but it won't be the 'trash it for click bait' stuff.

28 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

If you google a film you are thinking of watching, at least in the US, the RT score comes up at the top.

edit: LOL! I just googled Transformers to prove my point -- they have paid for a longish ad at the top that drives the RT score at least below the laptop pageview on the first page.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Rottentomatoes is literally part of Flixster, right? It's pushed into peoples faces. It honestly kind of hard to avoid even for someone that's just a casual moviegoer.

http://moviecitynews.com/2017/06/rotten-tomatoes-movie-openings-reality/

I have said for decades now that the only real influence that critics have on the opening of a wide release movie is when there is nearly-unanimous negativity. I do believe a film can be destroyed. But I do not believe a film that has a strong base for opening in the 30s or better can be “destroyed.”

The consensus – no one who pays close attention to this, and to whom I have spoken, disagrees – is potentially 10% – 15% damage.

And within that potential damage, there is a wide array of categories in which negative RT scores appear to mean absolutely nothing. Specific groups mentioned include African Americans, women (especially under 24), and action movie fans.

And the idea of RT ratings helping a movie is nearly nonexistent. There are experiential call-outs, like Get Out and Wonder Woman… but the examples are rare and seem more about confirmation bias.

In fact, the only group that seems to play close attention to RT scores are white males, 18-45. Surveys suggest that the percentage of men in that demo checking RT before deciding on going to a movie has grown from 26& to 36% in the last couple years. And that seems like a big chunk of the audience.

• Like 5