Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

When I did my whole box office regression model there was a statistical significance of RT score but it had to be controlled for budget, theater count, and some marketing variable (I used Variety marketing budgets, which aren't the best). So basically if movies with a relatively equal theater count and budget scale (production and marketing) were released, then the better received ones do better. A hugely marketed Transformers movie is always going to do better than a 5 million dollar, Oscar-nominated indie, but that Transformers is probably going to do less than other blockbusters the same size, and that indie might be a breakout. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

Ill add a second gold account for the second closest. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pirates 5 looks to open big in Japan. Jack Sparrow may be back to sail again one day

The only reason I think they won't do another is because Disney doesn't need it. Maybe Paramount can buy the rights, they could use a 750M WW hit :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The only reason I think they won't do another is because Disney doesn't need it. Maybe Paramount can buy the rights, they could use a 750M WW hit :ph34r:

Bring the original cast back, make the budget cheaper. It's the solution to everything

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

82.35m

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Cars 3 and TF5 both heading to about 135-140M finish. Will be close between them. 

Cars 3 will fall harder than MonstersU did against DM2.

Disney needs to stop releasing Pixar films in Mid-June. Any benefits of it are not worth a film getting sodomized by Illumination a few weeks after release.

6 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Is there a reason BOM is reporting 4.1 for TF5 when everyone else is saying 4.9, is Paramount fudging or is a typo 

It may be a coincidence, but I think BOM accidentally reported TF5's theater count as the first four digits of the Friday number. :lol: 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

$82,735,196

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

1 hour ago, 75live said:

It's not wonderful either.  No need to spin it.  It's not a shot at the movie and I am well aware of how Wright's film do.  I get people want to give it more than it is, but let's not act like it even broke people's expectations.  The movie what I hear is great and the run will be solid to good.  But let's not act like this is some big thing going on money wise.

Movie and quality wise I can say it's a big thing though :) 

1 hour ago, 75live said:

by that thinking then who's to say it wouldn't be getting this number it's getting with the RT score is had either.  It just proves nothing either way :P 

For what it's worth I had it doing about 60m in my summer game preseason predictions.

• Like 2