Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

Can we please stop with the Tomato Law meme? I don't even care whether it's accurate or not. It was funny at first, but it's really getting annoying now.

The power of a commonly-mistaken-for-a-vegetable fruit compels you.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, he wasn't a no name but he was no bigger than Lord and Miller or any other number of one or two hit directors.  And SW budget was pretty small at first.  It escalated and the production almost got shut down.  They were furious with Lucas at one point.  

Eh... Lucas was coming off American Graffiti, a monster hit that raked up several Oscar nods and most importantly kick-started the 50's nostalgia boom of the 70's (yes, even though it was set in '62). Fair to say he was a bigger name than L&M. But you're right, Star Wars was a low-budget production that happened only because of Lucas' clout and frankly a studio that took a chance, despite the head of production admitting he couldn't make heads or tails over anything.

Watching the CG Peter Cushing from beyooooond the graaaaaave in Rogue One made me think, "God... Star Wars was originally a low budget weird movie that nobody believed on and now... this!"

These numbers for Baby Driver force me to do one thing.

WARNING: If you have a cellphone, don't open this spoiler tag.

Spoiler

T
O
M
A
T
O

L
A
W

H

I

S

I

N

F

I

N

I

T

E

P

O

W

E

R

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

REALLy? I had declared TF5 to gross under 150M domestic wayyyy before the opening night. Next one will do worse no matter how good. 

You really like to come in here and tell everyone how smart you were after the movies came out. So according to you you basically have called every flop and every surprise hit so far this year. Interesting. Do you have any links to back up your claims that you had the foresight that you claim you do?

I think it's literally impossible to start up brand new franchises that can make 500+m WW. I see people complain when a "reboot" comes out, but established franchises is what brings in money. For the next so many years it's going to be Star Wars, MCU, DCEU, X-Men, Disney live action remakes, Godzilla/Kong universe and so on because they're established iconic franchises and characters. I don't think it's possible to CREATE new movie icons now.

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

These numbers for Baby Driver force me to do one thing.

WARNING: If you have a cellphone, don't open this spoiler tag.

Hide contents

T
O
M
A
T
O

L
A
W

H

I

S

I

N

F

I

N

I

T

E

P

O

W

E

R

I was on a phone and still opened the tags.

thug life

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Eh... Lucas was coming off American Graffiti, a monster hit that raked up several Oscar nods and most importantly kick-started the 50's nostalgia boom of the 70's (yes, even though it was set in '62). Fair to say he was a bigger name than L&M. But you're right, Star Wars was a low-budget production that happened only because of Lucas' clout and frankly a studio that took a chance, despite the head of production admitting he couldn't make heads or tails over anything.

Watching the CG Peter Cushing from beyooooond the graaaaaave in Rogue One made me think, "God... Star Wars was originally a low budget weird movie that nobody believed on and now... this!"

Alan Ladd is thd reason SW didnt get shut down. And I'm well aware of the history of Star Wars and all the trials and tribulations it took to get the film made. And George Lucas had one big hit that doesn't make him someone that is Untouchable or infallible. Colin trevorrow also has a big hit I seriously doubt he would have the clout to go out and get an original movie made right now. I know times are different in the 1970s but George Lucas wasn't a god before he did Star Wars.

• Like 1

Early morning update for my theater:

DM3's 2D showings are looking to be sellouts/near sellouts all day, but the 3D showings are way down from yesterday.

Baby Driver is going to be packed all day; the showing that just started sold over 50 tickets.

The House's morning show is flat from yesterday, but it doesn't start for another hour. The rest of the day is looking quiet.

Transformers looks to be doing better than yesterday?

Cars is down a lot from yesterday morning.

WW's morning show was pretty much flat from yesterday with just over 30 tickets.

47 Meters seems flat from yesterday morning.

POTC is way down from yesterday too; the showing in 30 minutes hasn't sold anything yet.

CU continues to be done. 

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I am in Times Square right now.  I will try and get a photo of the Valerian ad if possible.

Have fun dude! PS The Valerian ad is near Wasabi.....so if you like Sushi or Bento grab yourself some Wasabi and stare at Valerian's amazing ad 

• Like 1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Have fun dude! PS The Valerian ad is near Wasabi.....so if you like Sushi or Bento grab yourself some Wasabi and stare at Valerian's amazing ad 

Thanks for for the info :).

We're on a tour bus that we drove up on and only briefly drove through Times Square, but we're about to go back cause we're gonna see Cats on Broadway and DM3 in 4DX later.  I'll see if we can eat there for lunch.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Alan Ladd is thd reason SW didnt get shut down. And I'm well aware of the history of Star Wars and all the trials and tribulations it took to get the film made. And George Lucas had one big hit that doesn't make him someone that is Untouchable or infallible. Colin trevorrow also has a big hit I seriously doubt he would have the clout to go out and get an original movie made right now. I know times are different in the 1970s but George Lucas wasn't a god before he did Star Wars.

In today's environment, no there is no way Star Wars (let alone other influential films of that era like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, Animal House or even E.T.) would get made. Spielberg and Lucas have acknowledged this, in fact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Thanks for for the info :).

We're on a tour bus that we drove up on and only briefly drove through Times Square, but we're about to go back cause we're gonna see Cats on Broadway and DM3 in 4DX later.  I'll see if we can eat there for lunch.

Of all the Broadway shows, you chose Cats? :redcapes: