Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I hope SMH does good, btw. Tom Holland enrolled in classes at one of my best friend's old high school in the Bronx. Was in classes with her little brother and everything. Nice guy, apparently. I'm rooting for it based on this dumb personal reason alone.

I loved it.

• Like 1

Predictions for next weekend:

Spider-Man Homecoming: 110M

Despicable Me 3: 32.5M

Baby Driver: 14.5M

Wonder Woman: 7.3M

Transformers: 6M

Cars 3: 4.8M

The Beguiled: 4M

The House: 3.6M

47 Meters Down: 2.8M

The Big Sick: 2.2M

16 minutes ago, CalifoBoy said:

At this point Wonder Woman is behind Spider Man 1 by only $7 million. I hope it has a nice hold even with tough competition coming in the next few days.

Imagine WW beating SM1 while competing SMH aka SM6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Guardians fell about 53% which was its only 50+ fall apart from its second weekend. WW definitely affected it otherwise it wouldnt have fallen that high.

What affected it more was the fact that its previous weekend was inflated due to a holliday. But the same will be the case next weekend with WW coming off a holiday weekend.

Edited by Elessar

44 minutes ago, Blankments said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

I need Pete Docter to remain making his stuff :(

I don't think it would affect Doctor's ability to make films much.  Heck, Lasseter himself has Toy Story 4 coming up. Would make sense to have him be the new guy in charge if that rumor is true since he seems to be the only in the brain trust there full time now with Stanton pursuing other interests.

Anyway, lol @ DM3's estimate. Lower than I even dared hope. Imagine the kind of "hater" ridicule I would've gotten with that prediction.

Edited by tribefan695

One thing about the Beguiled (very minor, irrelevant spoiler): There's absolutely no indication until halfway through the movie that Colin Farrell's character is supposed to be Irish. Until that point, I thought it was just a W.O.A.T American accent attempt.

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Thanks for responding but I was talking about TF5's huge drop (over 80%) in China. :P

LOL, I don't know why I read POTC. Must have been drunk.:lol:

In other news, Ansel is a bone fide star now. They are going to put him in everything. he'll be the new Domhnall Gleeson. ;)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

On the subject of presales, it's been interesting noting how silent Fandango has been in regards to reporting comparison data. The only thing I've seen was the announcement of Baby Driver outpacing John Wick.

I wonder if it's emblematic of the weakness of films this summer, or if Fandango has been losing traffic as of late. One would think, even with a much smaller opening, DM3 would be outpacing the second in presales considering the 4 year gap.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

On the subject of presales, it's been interesting noting how silent Fandango has been in regards to reporting comparison data. The only thing I've seen was the announcement of Baby Driver outpacing John Wick.

I wonder if it's emblematic of the weakness of films this summer, or if Fandango has been losing traffic as of late.

Regal moved off Fandango and to Atom (non exclusive) this summer. Everything bought on Regal goes through Atom now. Might have something to do with the lack of comps as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I wonder if it's emblematic of the weakness of films this summer, or if Fandango has been losing traffic as of late. One would think, even with a much smaller opening, DM3 would be outpacing the second in presales considering the 4 year gap.

I think an important thing to consider is that presales are way bigger now than they ever were. So while it's nice to get presales data and stuff....it becomes almost useless to use presales data from say 2+ years ago and try to figure out a film that's opening now will do using that data. 

Edited by Nova

Just now, Blankments said:

Wonder how Baby Driver will hold next week. It should be getting drive-in screens with Spider-Man, right?

I think drive ins may opt to go with something else because of the R rating

23 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thinking $95M-$110M like tracking. However I'm thinking it'll have excellent legs after seeing it, my audience are this up. This will be the Pets/IO of Summer 2017.

Wait which movie is this?

Just now, tribefan695 said:

I think drive ins may opt to go with something else because of the R rating

It should still get a good hold because it did skew old (61% 25+), which could be a good counterprogram to it. Also, you have a good point but Horrible Bosses (carried an R-rating) shared a drive-in screen with the final Harry Potter five years ago.

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

yeah, but Sony's most recent not R-rated film is Smurfs

Drive-ins can attach any movie they want. They can do Superhero double features with WW or Guardians with SMH which seems pretty likely. Or even DM3 and SMH.

Annabelle Creation could be poised for a break out considering there hasn't been a big horror since Get Out in February. 

Alien Covenant played more sci-fi. It Comes At Night ended up a drama and Wish Upon doesn't look like it'll get any attention. 

I think Annabelle 2 could open over $30m again. 

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Spider-Man Homecoming: 110M

Despicable Me 3: 32.5M

Baby Driver: 14.5M

Wonder Woman: 7.3M

Transformers: 6M

Cars 3: 4.8M

The Beguiled: 4M

The House: 3.6M

47 Meters Down: 2.8M

The Big Sick: 2.2M

That Transformers drop would be hilarious. Poor Paramount.