CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

A Saturday of $37 million (as per RTH) is a smaller increase than I was expecting, but I did mention earlier in the thread that we don't have a lot of comparisons as Marvel hasn't really released a big MCU film in July - they love to position their tentpoles in May.

$37 million represents about a 6% increase from True Friday for Spidey, which may seem low, but it is not entirely unusual. I think because it is July, we are seeing some natural opening weekend frontloading for being a July release that attracts young crowds off school that are able to rush to see it during previews/opening day. So have hope, Spidey fans - it can still go on to have a terrific Sunday and run moving forward. :) 

Approximate Saturday Increases/Decreases from True Fridays (Sans Previews) for Comic Book Films that Opened May-August (Not an Exhaustive List)

Spider-Man: +34% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: +31% (May)

Wonder Woman: +29% (June)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: +25% (May)

Captain America: Civil War: +21% (May)

Ant-Man: +20% (July)

Iron Man 3: +17% (May)

Guardians of the Galaxy: +16% (August)

X-Men: Apocalypse: +13% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Marvel's The Avengers: +12% (May)

X-Men: Days of Future Past: +7% (May - Memorial Day Weekend)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: +6% (July)

Iron Man 2: +5% (May)

Thor: +5% (May)

Man of Steel: +4% (June)

Spider-Man 3: +3% (May)

Captain America: The First Avenger: +1% (July)

The Dark Knight Rises: -0.5% (July)

Avengers: Age of Ultron: -0.5% (May)

The Dark Knight: -2% (July)

Suicide Squad: -13% (August)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm old enough to remember when people were really "disappointed" by Guardians 1 Saturday number after the shockingly big previews and the huge - but expected after previews were posted - Friday. After Friday people were predicting to fly by TWS and shit on OW. It ended up stabilizing on Sunday and having great legs. So far, this is following a very similar pattern to GOTG 1.

It's absolutely almost non-sense to think SMH will follow GOTG1 run. That's the fresh and original movie. SMH is the 6th spidey film already.

GOTG1 is wayyyyyy above SMH in several aspects.

This will follow typical MCU legs with 2.6-2.8x multies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJsooner said:

But there's also a lot who loved it. But I follow mredman. Im familiar with his posting style.

But what does any of what you just said have anything to do with him not liking the suit?  I didn't like it either and he didn't say he didn't like the movie.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm old enough to remember when people were really "disappointed" by Guardians 1 Saturday number after the shockingly big previews and the huge - but expected after previews were posted - Friday. After Friday people were predicting to fly by TWS and shit on OW. It ended up stabilizing on Sunday and having great legs. So far, this is following a very similar pattern to GOTG 1.

to be fair, preview number in summer tends to have higher share of OW.....

3 hours ago, Rman823 said:

Don't want to go into spoilers but I feel after certain events the end of the movie showed he felt he didn't need the high tech decked out suit.

Keep it at that....don't even tread into spoiler territory....I checked and the suit stuff is in the trailer.....but let's just end it there.....there's a Spider-man spoiler thread if you want to get into more detail.

Agree with the suit problem ... too sci fi (haven't watched the film but had the feeling from promos itself.)

But they probably had to go with sci-fi suit to justify IM's involvement and also make it different from the previous Spideys.

Adds new story elements to it I guess - can play with nerdiness of Spidey and friends, makes spidey super-powerful for big challenges (like in CW), etc.

EDIT: Yeah, I will also end it here instead of speculating more.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mredman said:

I saw it. Was OK. Probably nr 3-4 of the Spidey movies.. Spider-Man 1 with Tobey is the best for me hell its one of the best superhero movies ever made. Then Spidey 2 with Tobey. Fantastic sequel close to nr 1. Spider-Man Home coming/ASM 1 is neck and neck for me. Good entertaining movies. Spidey 3 is meh. While ASM 2 is absolutely atrocious

One thing that irks me with Homecoming very much was that he has this Spidey tech suit. Spidey's powers is all in his genes. So this diminshes what he REALLY can do by himself in an ordinary suit like in the previous movies. I really hated this. I hope in the sequel they go back to the "classic" suit again.

How exactly? I'm genuinely perplexed when people rank this movie so high. The origins are handled great but the movie really falls apart and loses direction in the second half and just becomes a mish-mash of random scenes thrown together. The Goblin has no motive whatsoever to recruit Spider-man and he looks ridiculous on top of that. Peter's love interest is a hoe-cake going from Flash, to Harry, to lusting over Spider-man and then finally to Peter all in one film lol.  The action is rather dull and not very inventive. You have Spider-man and Goblin who are both very mobile characters restricted to static battles in a very colorful artificial looking Times Square, an apartment building, on a bridge, and finally some abandoned condemned building. The only thing SM1 got right in the second half was J. Jonah Jameson, Willem Dafoe hamming it up as Norman at Thanksgiving, Goblin's death and the final swinging sequence.

So with the 37 number i think the range will be from 115.25 (giving it a 25% drop on Sunday) to 118 (giving it a 18% drop on Sunday). 

This is right in line with what I predicted in the derby (115m) and what I have been saying for a while (110-120m OW). 

Unless the Sunday drop is just as wild in either direction as the Saturday drop. 

Edited by ZeeSoh

3 hours ago, AJ2k said:

How exactly? I'm genuinely perplexed when people rank this movie so high. The origins are handled great but the movie really falls apart and loses direction in the second half and just becomes a mish-mash of random scenes thrown together. The Goblin has no motive whatsoever to recruit Spider-man and he looks ridiculous on top of that. Peter's love interest is a hoe-cake going from Flash, to Harry, to lusting over Spider-man and then finally to Peter all in one film lol.  The action is rather dull and not very inventive. You have Spider-man and Goblin who are both very mobile characters restricted to static battles in a very colorful artificial looking Times Square, an apartment building, on a bridge, and finally some abandoned condemned building. The only thing SM1 got right in the second half was J. Jonah Jameson, Willem Dafoe hamming it up as Norman at Thanksgiving, Goblin's death and the final swinging sequence.

Because people have different opinions than you. :)

Maguire was awesome

The whole bite and discovery of powers is always fun

Jameson is a blast

MJ is hot and stupendous

I wasn't thrilled with Green Goblin but he works for a first villain

The upside down kiss is iconic

The final battle is excellent

The supporting cast is great

• Like 2

With 117-118 ow, it would need 2.85-2.9x to go over SM3's 336 odd.

Going by Sat think it's tough. 2.6-2.75x with 117-118 gives 304-325.

Edited by a2knet